May 03, 2024, 05:17:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tuning from rear pipe

Started by Lovetoride007, May 03, 2009, 09:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lovetoride007

I am tuning my CV 44 carb, What AFR difference is there from front cyl to rear cyl, when tuning with an AFR meter and you are in the rear cyl, should I assume when the rear is dialed in the front is close ?   
Thanks for any advise

Jeffd

I think pipe plays a roll ie 2:1 2:2 length of headers etc.  I just had a afr on my supertrapp 2:1 done and rear/front was near identical on WOT rear was just slightly leaner from 1800-2500 wot and at cruise under light load rear was leaner 14.8 vs 14.1 for the front.  I am sure there are many other varibles tho.

fuzznut5197

I would like someone to clear up this vague understanding I have of cyl-to-cyl afr equality. On a carbureted bike, it was "common knowledge" that the front cyl always ran leaner than the rear cylinder. The tuner would always stick the sniffer up the front pipe, knowing that the rear is slightly richer and not have to worry about it. Now with EFI, this general trend seems to be reversed?

Lovetoride007

Jeff
Is your bike EFI or Carb?

Jeffd

rigidthumper

Getting a perfectly flat AFR in 1 cyl is no guarantee that the other cyl is even close. Since carb bikes share the fuel supply, you should check both cyls and shoot for the best overall compromise.
HTH
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jeffd

hope this works.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Lovetoride007

Jeff
That's what I was looking for . I was not sure but had assumed the rear is a little leaner , so I will tune my rear cyl to the leaner side of 14 to 1
Thanks

FLTRI

Typically the rear cylinder will run leaner unless the exhaust system was carefully designed create more even AFRs as the case with the Supertrapp 2into1 system.
There are more variables that can and do play a part in front vs rear cylinder AFR.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Lovetoride007

Supertrapp 2-1 is what is on this bike,

Jeffd

Quote from: FLTRI on May 04, 2009, 03:31:16 PM
Typically the rear cylinder will run leaner unless the exhaust system was carefully designed create more even AFRs as the case with the Supertrapp 2into1 system.
There are more variables that can and do play a part in front vs rear cylinder AFR.
Bob

Bob, do you have much experience with tuning carbed supertrapps?  Do you think if I went down to 10 discs with the open end cap I would richen up enough to make a diff?  It runs very good, does not surge or spit back thru the carb and I am getting excellent mpg and it warms up quickly without much choke (enricher) but was thinking maybe I should be smidgon richer.

Jeffd

bump hoping fltri sees it.