May 03, 2024, 11:55:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 Head High Performance Mod

Started by PanHeadRed, January 20, 2018, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanHeadRed

How are the Singh grooves working on these?

sbcharlie

i have seen this done on metric heads. the cut a groove between the intake valve side. i think its a waste of time

prodrag1320

Thermodyne

There is not a lot of quench surface in the M8 cylinder head, so the benefits for Singh grooves would be less on the M8 than say a Twin Cam.

But from what I have read, there is always a measurable benefit.  Not so much from a max power point of view, but from a fuel efficiency, and emissions reduction.  They show the most improvement with lean mixtures. 

The slots direct some of the air fuel mix to the center of the chamber, where it burns more efficiently.  Some people like to direct it at the exhaust valve, not sure exactly what the benefit is with that, could be cooling, or it could just be about venting it before compression.  The point is, that the slots show some improvment more or less in any configuration. 

The down side is the cost of installing them.  You cant just grint them in with a die grinder.  And they don't work well with wide production style quench gaps.  On the race car side of it, they are turning up factory machined into the pistons.   

sfmichael

Quote from: Thermodyne on January 21, 2018, 07:05:19 AM
There is not a lot of quench surface in the M8 cylinder head, so the benefits for Singh grooves would be less on the M8 than say a Twin Cam.

But from what I have read, there is always a measurable benefit.  Not so much from a max power point of view, but from a fuel efficiency, and emissions reduction.  They show the most improvement with lean mixtures. 

The slots direct some of the air fuel mix to the center of the chamber, where it burns more efficiently. Some people like to direct it at the exhaust valve, not sure exactly what the benefit is with that, could be cooling, or it could just be about venting it before compression. The point is, that the slots show some improvement more or less in any configuration. 

The down side is the cost of installing them.  You cant just grint them in with a die grinder.  And they don't work well with wide production style quench gaps.  On the race car side of it, they are turning up factory machined into the pistons.

seems legit  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

kd

My research and understanding is the real benefit is the added turbulence in the combustion chamber. It can also aid in more complete burning of rich mixtures at lower RPM with cams that have a lot of overlap for high RPM power. I think one of the biggest problems with grooves is there is very little real scientific testing to document how and when they are useful. The one thing that is commonly agreed upon though is they don't hurt performance.   
KD