May 08, 2024, 01:22:00 PM

News:

wont idle

Started by hdbikedoc, January 24, 2018, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdbikedoc

2011 heritage softtail stage 4 true duel straight fishtails  pv tuning everything good but can't get idle right
likes to hunt  better hot but get 1000 then drops to 800 and up and down any ideas ? 
oh large throttle body
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

hdbikedoc

more info
idles better hot 1050 rpm iac steps around 12  starts to clime to 15 steps
idle drops to 800 iac steps to 8  stabilizes then repeat cycle
can just take off idle bike runs great run up good cruise good pulls hard
just idle issue any suggestions on iac table changes or other

air cleaner is front face se elbow
pipes are true duel long straight fish tails 2 1/2 inch
hd kit stage 4 103 injectors and 4.9  58mm TB
cam HD 259
power vision  Roy's at DJ  start tune  ve's corrected  most were rich but idle area went lean off idle added 1.5 afr

HD/Wrench

well you have timing as well .. Try another cal some cals hold timing steady others vary it.. In some cases the build will want timing to hold steady.. AFR needs to be correct as well and do not forget that as the AFR may be correct at 1020 what is the cell under it . Try to get it sorted maybe add timing>> try 22 degrees in that entire idle area . IAC bore clean ?? if there is something on it it may not fully seat and work correctly .. You can try to ramp up the cold start steps , set idle at 1032 from warm temps to hot .. Its all just tweaking the map to work.. Do you have an intake leak?? is the little rubber plug on the TB if you have that type of tb

hdbikedoc

brand new build timing was at 20 in idle took away didn't help will try more as suggested other maps timing was all lower
TB is brand new so iac bore clean took a look its good
no intake leak
will try dialing the cell below didn't occur to me about cell being off for rpm
always nice to get the light bulb in head working with some good advice thanks Don

HD/Wrench

larger T/B ?? whos is it .. In some case you may have to close the plate just a touch .. As it flowing more air and it will cause issue with the IAC you have a low IAC count .. What is the TPS reading at idle ?/  On the HPI 55 I just did I had to close the plate to get IAC into the 30 range .

rigidthumper

IAC steps reading of 8-15 is low,  means air is getting past the plate, or an intake leak.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rbabos

As mentioned by rigidthumper and Steve, check for intake leaks first. If no leaks then close blade, reset tps volts to new closed blade and get those steps in around 20-30 ish on hot idle. I had to do that with my 120. Also as mentioned, set all areas of exposed kpa/idle rpms to the same timing.
Ron

hdbikedoc

Well adjusted the throttle plate and it help lots still hunts till it gets to 115 temp           now the hunting iac position range ie 15 to 51  where before it was 5 to 46 
its a HD TB comes in stage four kit  leak tested passed
noticed that the throttle body doesn't fit very far into the manifold but all the stage 4 are the same
going to flash in the afr to 13 and adjust ve's again now that the plate is adjusted ran out of time today
snowed so had to clean the lot (my job since Dealer principal away in AZ )
oh well heated cab Bobcat 553
should get it dialed tomorrow  thanks for all the help

HD/Wrench

Ok so stop at this point .. You need to make a large change to see " what happens"  look at the temp for cold start add a rather large amount of fuel say 20%  try that ..   Then back to IAC and increase the steps for cold start there to make it hang on a high idle .

What cal are you using??

hdbikedoc

ok will try  Ive been trying to open my hard drive for hour to get cal ID but no go might have to wait till Monday when I get back to work computer
I didn't work on it today as short staff so had to attend to other stuff but will be back on it Monday morning once again thanks for the help that's why this site is
the best

hdbikedoc

Hi All  sorry for the late report
Hard drive is fried so still no numbers for cals
anyway ended up picking a different tune and using the idle numbers to play with the warm up idle , acell enrichment , crank fuel etc and did ajust the screw on throttle plate a little higher and it worked out fine once again thanks for the help Don

HD/Wrench