May 04, 2024, 03:53:43 AM

News:

Air Cleaners for larger builds

Started by VDeuce, February 13, 2018, 03:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDeuce

Looking for input on AC choices for M8 larger build engines with displacement of 120" and up, with ported heads and larger throttle bodies. Stage I AC is not going to cut it.

One's I've heard recommended are:

- Trask Assualt
    - SE Heavy Breather
    - T-Man No Loss
    - Ness Big Sucker (may not flow as others)

Any other ones I'm missing?

The Trask is nice, but expensive and I'm not crazy about the clear look.

turboprop

Quote from: VDeuce on February 13, 2018, 03:48:45 PM
Looking for input on AC choices for M8 larger build engines with displacement of 120" and up, with ported heads and larger throttle bodies. Stage I AC is not going to cut it.

One's I've heard recommended are:

- Trask Assualt
    - SE Heavy Breather
    - T-Man No Loss
    - Ness Big Sucker (may not flow as others)

Any other ones I'm missing?

The Trask is nice, but expensive and I'm not crazy about the clear look.

The M8 uses the same air cleaner as the twin cam. Just about every air cleaner for the twin cam is in play. Zippers offers several big air cleaners as do several other companies. Broaden your search.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Johnwesley

K&n has a good air cleaner that seems to work well. FM has a Dyno with it and pulled some decent power
05 FXD superglide,98",10.6,S&S585, HPI 55/58,
WFO Larry's cnc2+, supermeg,120hp

les

Check the Horsepower Inc. site.  Their air filters are some of the best I've personally seen and used.

BigT

The M8 does not use the same air cleaner as the Twin Cam the back plate that mounts to the throttle body has a different bolt pattern

Breeze

I wonder why air filters for 400+ cubic inch cars and trucks are not 4 times the size of Harley filters?  Could it be that they don't need to be huge to satisfy the demand?  I know shape of the assembly is important.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

BigT

February 14, 2018, 06:46:19 AM #6 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:01:23 AM by BigT
I just went thru this same process of looking for an air cleaner for my 117" build. The Horsepower inc air cleaner looked like it would flow more than enough air but sticks out pretty far. The TMan filter is big bucks and didn't care for the looks. I ended up using a K&N HD-0910 air cleaner, a backplate from a M8 CVO, and a HD Ventilator cover for a Twincam. When I get it tuned in a couple of weeks I will have a pull done without the air cleaner to see if it is too restrictive.

crusinmann

I did the same thing and cut bottom tab off too.

crusinmann

Quote from: Breeze on February 14, 2018, 05:21:57 AM
I wonder why air filters for 400+ cubic inch cars and trucks are not 4 times the size of Harley filters?  Could it be that they don't need to be huge to satisfy the demand?  I know shape of the assembly is important.
Same goes for exhaust pipes on cars with over 300 cu in and 400hp using 2-1/2 dual exhaust .Then on Harleys guys putting on pipes with 2-1/4 and 2-1/2 baffles on a 117 cu engine. Maybe physics is different on Harleys :scratch:

VDeuce

So do the M8 ACs protrude out farther than on a Twin Cam? I've run large filters on Twin Cams (R&R Racing's Overflow AC) and while it did touch my leg depending on foot position, it never bothered me.

PoorUB

They aren't??
The filter for my 435 HP Ford and my wife's 300 HP Trail blazer is easily 4 times the size of the stock HD filter.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PoorUB

Quote from: crusinmann on February 14, 2018, 07:09:30 AM
Same goes for exhaust pipes on cars with over 300 cu in and 400hp using 2-1/2 dual exhaust .Then on Harleys guys putting on pipes with 2-1/4 and 2-1/2 baffles on a 117 cu engine. Maybe physics is different on Harleys :scratch:

Back in the days if you were running a 454 big block you would be running 2" primarys for header tubing.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

crusinmann

Into a 4" collector down to a 2-1/2 pipe  some mufflers are 2-1/2 in and 2-1/4 out .   Same as 2-1 pipes its about velocity . Looking for pure 7k rpm hp a piece of 8" straight pipe will work. All depends on what you're after .

bxbutch

Will the k&n hd-0910 fit in a 2018 114 flhcs Thanks Butch

BigT

Quote from: bxbutch on February 15, 2018, 03:02:38 PM
Will the k&n hd-0910 fit in a 2018 114 flhcs Thanks Butch
It fits into the back plate but you would have to redrill the holes where the air cleaner mounts to the back plate. You would also need a different cover from a Twin Cam ventilator style air cleaner.