May 04, 2024, 02:07:34 AM

News:

Heads up...on Head Bolt Reuse

Started by HV, February 26, 2018, 08:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD/Wrench

And why would I buy the ARP ??  for a silly price I can buy the OEM verson and good to go . Back off a touch on the final tq and no issues reusing them .. This is has been done over and over 10 plus times on a dyno mule for testing . No problems still running strong .. 

rbabos

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on April 25, 2018, 01:18:50 PM
And why would I buy the ARP ??  for a silly price I can buy the OEM verson and good to go . Back off a touch on the final tq and no issues reusing them .. This is has been done over and over 10 plus times on a dyno mule for testing . No problems still running strong ..
I agree, ARP are nice but overkill. Could be worse. Why anyone who understands clamping and material expansion would supply the SS is beyond me. Like I said these broken bolts, nuts actually,  it's a qc issue from the supplier if you can snap those off at such a low torque. Otherwise the OEM should be more then up to the task.
Ron

1FSTRK

Quote from: rbabos on April 25, 2018, 02:03:46 PM
I agree, ARP are nice but overkill. Could be worse. Why anyone who understands clamping and material expansion would supply the SS is beyond me. Like I said these broken bolts, nuts actually,  it's a qc issue from the supplier if you can snap those off at such a low torque. Otherwise the OEM should be more then up to the task.
Ron

I agree, the principal design has been used successfully for over 30 years by HD and S&S on engines that are bigger and make far more power. This is a manufacturing problem that will quietly be solved while it's existence is being denied.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 25, 2018, 03:04:11 PM
Quote from: rbabos on April 25, 2018, 02:03:46 PM
Ron

I agree, the principal design has been used successfully for over 30 years by HD and S&S on engines that are bigger and make far more power. This is a manufacturing problem that will quietly be solved while it's existence is being denied.
Standard operating procedure. :wink:
Ron

PoorUB

Or it gets advertised as an improvement, but no acknowledgment of a problem!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

cbumdumb

Maybe a new Screaming Eagle part number in the near future :koolaid: :koolaid4: :potstir:

sfmichael

Quote from: cbumdumb on April 25, 2018, 06:04:22 PM
Maybe a new Screaming Eagle part number in the near future :koolaid: :koolaid4: :potstir:

haha...probably this  :smilep:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I agree if you have to re-use them, take 5% off the Final Torque.

Just like the 30,000 Service for the Baggers. Has anyone actually replaced the Swing Arm Bearings? I have not seen a set fail until double that mileage in past provided the Operator had common sense and a perotic look-see.
Tom

klammer76

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on April 25, 2018, 08:07:45 PM
I agree if you have to re-use them, take 5% off the Final Torque.

Just like the 30,000 Service for the Baggers. Has anyone actually replaced the Swing Arm Bearings? I have not seen a set fail until double that mileage in past provided the Operator had common sense and a perotic look-see.
Yup, twice. Mine were toast at 17,000 & 20,000 miles on my 02 FLHTC. I think swing arm bearings are one of the most over looked items.