May 04, 2024, 11:23:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Heads up...on Head Bolt Reuse

Started by HV, February 26, 2018, 08:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HV

[attach=0]

I know HD recommends replacing Head Bolts when ever they are removed....seen a few that were Re Used ... here is what can Happen if you do
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

rbabos

Quote from: HV on February 26, 2018, 08:07:53 AM
[attach=0]

I know HD recommends replacing Head Bolts when ever they are removed....seen a few that were Re Used ... here is what can Happen if you do
Those look fairly new?  They weren't baked enough to bake the hydrogen embrittlement out from the plating process. :wink: A baking occurs naturally from engine heat over time.
Ron

HV

They were the second set that let go at a shop that re used them...they broke on the final TQ ....
Skype HV.HTT

HD/Wrench

Any the real question  is Do you really want that much tq on the bolt .  Being that I know for a fact one one bike that has had them on and off now 7+ times and just different tq procedure and slightly less final tq.  HD went larger and thinks ohh well bigger is better lets just add a increased tq ..  :banghead:

Sorry but I disagree with HD on this set up ,   Not like its the only thing.. 

VDeuce

VDeuce

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on February 26, 2018, 09:54:24 AM
Any the real question  is Do you really want that much tq on the bolt .  Being that I know for a fact one one bike that has had them on and off now 7+ times and just different tq procedure and slightly less final tq.  HD went larger and thinks ohh well bigger is better lets just add a increased tq ..  :banghead:

Sorry but I disagree with HD on this set up ,   Not like its the only thing..
Steve and HV, what's your recommended torque procedure for these using Cometic gaskets? I've heard a final of 51 foot pounds.

HV

I havent done any Cometics yet on a M8 ..

Yes lowering the TQ would help them stop snapping off for sure
Skype HV.HTT

VDeuce

Quote from: HV on February 26, 2018, 11:30:35 AM

We used to set the Twin Cam's at 42 with Cometics. Wonder if I should shoot for perhaps 45...

Tried ordering those bolts, part number 10200303 - they are backordered from HD with no release date...

rbabos

Quote from: VDeuce on February 26, 2018, 11:42:15 AM

We used to set the Twin Cam's at 42 with Cometics. Wonder if I should shoot for perhaps 45...

Tried ordering those bolts, part number 10200303 - they are backordered from HD with no release date...
Wow, unbelievable how some simple things are so hard to get.
Ron

BigT

I used Cometic M8 head gaskets and they included the same instructions for torque sequence and values as the Twin Cam. I looked in my manual and there is no mention of not reusing head bolts that I could find.

1FSTRK

Quote from: rbabos on February 26, 2018, 01:11:53 PM

Ron

Or I have seen the following happen:

WE have a problem with the last batches of bolts snapping and we will not be shipping any until we get to the bottom of why. We are tracking the the problem and all known good new bolts coming in are being used by the factory for new bike assembly.

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

HV

All stage Kits come with new Bolts....
Skype HV.HTT

EL in NH

Quote from: HV on February 26, 2018, 03:26:15 PM
All stage Kits come with new Bolts....
Do they change the studs as well?  I would have thought the studs would be more of a problem than the bolts . They would seem to be the more likely to stretch.
Regards

VDeuce

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 26, 2018, 02:59:00 PM
Quote from: rbabos on February 26, 2018, 01:11:53 PM

Ron

Or I have seen the following happen:

WE have a problem with the last batches of bolts snapping and we will not be shipping any until we get to the bottom of why. We are tracking the the problem and all known good new bolts coming in are being used by the factory for new bike assembly.
Did you go with those instructions? What was your final torque?

HV

Studs are not changed ...just the Bolts.....
Skype HV.HTT

BVHOG

A bigger diameter stud would require more torque to get the proper stretch. It seems more thread engagement would be the ticket for this problem
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

VDeuce

Walls of the new bolts don't seem any thicker than the TC bolts. Would have to measure.

VDeuce

I have been told by a reliable source 20, 35, 51 for Cometic gaskets. I have not tried yet.

crewchief25H

Here is a alternative to factory bolts

Pete_Vit

Quote from: HV on February 26, 2018, 08:07:53 AM
[attach=0]

yup, seen that before  :emsad: I replaced all my studs too, I know it's not necessary but I did anyway, I was on the final 35-40lb when mine busted loose, never got to the final 90* 
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

BVHOG

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

crewchief25H

SoZo

Quote from: crewchief25H on April 25, 2018, 07:10:58 AM

This... ^^ or the Feuling (not as good but lie these reusable over and over) Final torque for me wit cometic was 45 with NO issues on my 120ci as per Feuling.

May try 51 on my next buid...

turboprop

April 25, 2018, 09:21:32 AM #23 Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:34:47 PM by turboprop
Quote from: SoZo on April 25, 2018, 07:57:13 AM
Quote from: crewchief25H on April 25, 2018, 07:10:58 AM

This... ^^ or the Feuling (not as good but lie these reusable over and over) Final torque for me wit cometic was 45 with NO issues on my 120ci as per Feuling.

May try 51 on my next buid...

Neither Jims or Feuling make the head bolts they sell. They are made by ARP. Jims and Feuling head bolts are one and the same. The only difference is one is stainless and the other is black oxide. Same as ARP offers most every fastener they make.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

rbabos

Likely reason for them snapping is from the plating process. Hydrogen embrittlement. There area ways to resolve this but looks like the step was missed. Baking is the usual treatment. Short answer, crap quality.
Ron