April 26, 2024, 12:34:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Chains - the Good, the Bad, and the Broken

Started by Ohio HD, February 26, 2018, 08:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam65

Unless someone offers a comp sprocket other than the Evo with more teeth, I'm kind of stuck at this point.

turboprop

Quote from: jam65 on February 27, 2018, 07:00:32 PM
Unless someone offers a comp sprocket other than the Evo with more teeth, I'm kind of stuck at this point.

You are currently running a 25/36 combination inside your primary?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

koko3052

Quote from: jam65 on February 27, 2018, 06:34:07 PM
The reason I asked about the removal of a link was because of my primary gearing. With the Baker chain adjuster,my primary chain is almost maxed out to the top of adjustment. I would like a straighter snake of the chain for better efficiency and adjustability.

Maybe your chain is at the end of it's lifespan? I have typically taken a manufacturers adjustment span as the max chain lifespan. :nix:

jam65

I have a 30 tooth Evo comp sprocket and their 49 tooth clutch basket. Final chain drive sprocket is from Baker and the only one with the offset that I need for the custom spacing of the Performance Drive sprocket that is still holding up. I really don't want to replace that sprocket until it is toast.
Primary chain is basically new and was almost out of adjustment when installed with 92 links.

Ohio HD

Have you possibly asked at Evo Industries if they can get a different length? I wonder if they're ordering the different lengths they sell (for the 49 tooth baskets), or making them from longer sections? My guess is they order them, but possibly then can order a custom length.

SixShooter14

Quote from: koko3052 on February 27, 2018, 07:32:08 PM
Quote from: jam65 on February 27, 2018, 06:34:07 PM
The reason I asked about the removal of a link was because of my primary gearing. With the Baker chain adjuster,my primary chain is almost maxed out to the top of adjustment. I would like a straighter snake of the chain for better efficiency and adjustability.

Maybe your chain is at the end of it's lifespan? I have typically taken a manufacturers adjustment span as the max chain lifespan. :nix:
I posted the Regina method for determining chain life in Post #39. Basically, just hang 50# off the chain and measure. If it's stretched more than the chart says, then it's ready for replacement.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hybredhog

Maybe I missed it, but who makes the chains for Baker? I have their over ratio chain/comp. kit on my 124 ('01 dyna), as it does help starting a bunch, and I geared it back down on the belt. The Baker kit does use up a lot of travel on the adjuster, and mine even was in between teeth for adjustment, and would slap the case when cold. so I re-drilled the ramp's mounting holes to get a mid point. Yes, they have a fine tooth ramp kit now, but I'm over it.
     I use the bike primarily for touring, so I'm not to hard on the belt, but I do carry a cheapo belt for a spare.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Ohio HD

I did look on their web site yesterday, they don't list any primary chains that I could find. So I assume they would be just selling someone's off the shelf chain, and not having anything built special.

Ohio HD

kd

I'm wondering what they consider to be a heavy duty chain?
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on February 28, 2018, 11:28:23 AM
I'm wondering what they consider to be a heavy duty chain?

:idunno:    517-339-3835

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 28, 2018, 11:18:07 AM
They sell Regina chains.

[attach=0]

Too funny. I wore Mark (Baker Drivetrain) out yesterday on chat with this same subject.

kd

Quote from: turboprop on February 28, 2018, 12:10:59 PM
They sell Regina chains.

[attach=0]

Too funny. I wore Mark (Baker Drivetrain) out yesterday on chat with this same subject.

Did Mark give you any suggestions on beefier chain?  No point in hitting him again.  :hyst:
KD

turboprop

Quote from: kd on February 28, 2018, 12:12:32 PM
Quote from: turboprop on February 28, 2018, 12:10:59 PM
They sell Regina chains.

[attach=0]

Did Mark give you any suggestions on beefier chain?  No point in hitting him again.  :hyst:

No he didnt and he was being pretty candid.

I also spoke with some street pro racers (or whatever the AMRA calls that class) about what chains they are running. Everyone of those guys are running a XL based engine, so not apples to apples. What they all said was a Regina chain sourced from a dealership. Two of the three also said they sent their new chains out for 'Treatment'.

BJB

If I may ask a question here:
My '13 FLTRU has the Primo Rivera Gamechanger. I really like how it changed the bike's sweet spot  but I have always thought I hear more of a whirring /  dragging sound (not at all metallic) and I have also wondered if a shorter chain, as the original deal was to have been from Primo Rivera, could be bought?
I will say that after doing pipes, tuner cams, etc. the $$$ spent on the Gamechanger was the thing I like the most, well after the Compensaver. This bike is used 2 up 66% of the time as a two up loaded down tourer.

Ohio HD

Simple answer is no, nothing off the shelf, or that's what they would sell you instead of the new tensioner shoe.

build it

I don't think the chain per se is the problem. Lots of side loading, as far as chassis's are concerned, despite being the holy whatever FXR, plenty of twist. The primary is a pathetic design, twincam, evo, shovel, pan, xl, truly pathetic.

A heavier duty design is within reach for some in this thread. Outboard support bearings wherever they can be applied. Is chain stretch a problem, probably, but there's more to it, like always.

Find the next weakest link. Move on.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

BJB

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 28, 2018, 01:00:24 PM
Simple answer is no, nothing off the shelf, or that's what they would sell you instead of the new tensioner shoe.

Thanks.
That makes sense but these are Harleys we are talking about.

Ohio HD

Quote from: BJB on February 28, 2018, 01:13:59 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on February 28, 2018, 01:00:24 PM

Thanks.
That makes sense but these are Harleys we are talking about.

Yes I know, but there is not a chain off the shelf in a lesser size that work work. You can have someone make you a chain I'm sure. 

ecir50

Ohio, you going to try the RK, doesn't sound like anyone has any time on one to get an opinion.

Ohio HD

I've already ordered one from Mr. Phil. But then I'm not the chain breaker, that would be Ed and Kelly.

I'll put it on my 124 when I change the clutch basket this spring from 49 tooth to 46 tooth. Right now it has the longer length Diamond in it. 

Hybredhog

"Two of the three also said they sent their new chains out for 'Treatment'. "

I'm assuming Criogenic cold treating, and that could make a lot of things better, and not very expensive.

'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

turboprop

Quote from: jeffscycle on February 28, 2018, 02:21:21 PM
"Two of the three also said they sent their new chains out for 'Treatment'. "

I'm assuming Criogenic cold treating, and that could make a lot of things better, and not very expensive.

That was one of the treatments, the other was polishing and coating by MicroBlue.

build it

Oddly to me, cryogenic treatment of chains is rather common, from motorcycle chains to chainsaw blades; I had no idea and knee jerk reaction was it was bull. There are also outfits that cryo treat what appeared to be every part of a Harley engine with specified price points advertised.

After looking at the up and down sides a little bit of the cryo only, I can't see a downside.

When I ordered my Diamond a few years ago I spoke with one of the leads, he said they were good for all I could throw at it. Apparently he, and the heel that record mended that specific chain are liars.

Back to the Black Pill.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

jam65

Quote from: jam65 on February 28, 2018, 04:22:53 AM
I have a 30 tooth Evo comp sprocket and their 49 tooth clutch basket. Final chain drive sprocket is from Baker and the only one with the offset that I need for the custom spacing of the Performance Drive sprocket that is still holding up. I really don't want to replace that sprocket until it is toast.
Primary chain is basically new and was almost out of adjustment when installed with 92 links.
I ended up lining my Baker shoe with a strip of UHMW to take up the slack with a new RK primary chain. I hope that this works but only time will tell.