May 09, 2024, 01:32:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

124 with extra relaynwired backwards

Started by anubisss, February 26, 2018, 06:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anubisss

So my 124 fxr had an extra relay wired in so that when it starts the power is distributed a bit more evenly to comp releases and starter.  A buddy who owns a shop did it without me asking for it as he insists that is a good way to not have starting issues with a big inch motor.  The bike seemed to start fine to me and never really had issues with that. It did burn out a few ignitions and coils which got expensive. I had decided the wiring was bad as it is a custom build bike with all after market parts that I picked up real cheap. The old owner told me to keep an eye on the crimps and such as he had some issues with that.

So I recently decided to do the Moto gadget wiring as I want the ignition problem fixed after putting in more than one in a short period of time.  Last issue I had was auto light spark plugs had the top come loose but ignition was not fried as I had suspected.  Put innstock Harley plugs and nopoblems. Ignition checked out fine coil checked out fine. Rode it like that for a few weeks. 

Finally got the call to bring bike for Moto gadget wiring to be installed and explained the ignition and coil issue to mechanic who is new to me but quite accomplished with these wiring systems and Fxr's in general. He said he'd test stator output voltage regulator etc. I replaced voltage regulator with last ignition as it was allowing too much voltage through which I thought was ignition failure cause.  Ignitions have always been donated 2000i and their coil.  I decided I want a coil under the side cover as another friend has fried an ignition with a 124 as well. Got a twin tec with the pickup for cam cover and with the wires and all as new mechanic requested.

He called the other day and thought he found the issue. He said that the extra relay that had been wired in for the compression releases was wired backwards.  Positive to negative and vice a versa. So two questions. First can this cause me to fry ignitions and coils?  Secondly would this extra relay function to open comp releases separate of the starter if wired backwards?  My guess is yes it could cause the rpoblem and no extra relay wont do "Potty mouth" if wired backwards but I really trust the guy who wired in the extra relay as he is a close personal friend.

So should be about a week till I get the bike back. I'll report back after it is in the garage again. Thanks any advice in advance.

speedzter

I'm not sure I follow exactly what he means by saying the Relay was wired backwards.
Is he saying in his view the relay coil is backwards, or that the power to the releases ?
DC relays and solenoids usually aren't polarity sensitive, unless they have a back EMF diode fitted.

anubisss