May 04, 2024, 09:09:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Received my new oil pump today WTF

Started by DTTJGlide, February 27, 2018, 05:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTTJGlide

I ordered a new oil pump from Boardtracker a couple of weeks ago & got it today, label on box is dated 7/11/17 WTF? I thought all pumps  produced before 10/10/17 were to be sent back, I was planning to do this on my own dime even though I've not had any sumping problems. How are you supposed to get the latest pump when MOCO is trying to pawn off the old suspect, AKA sh!tty, pumps on people that order a new pump expecting the latest revised pump? Any techs here have an answer, if they order a new pump as per SB M1450 do you have to specify new revised pump post 10/10/17? I will call BT tomorrow but would like to know how best to approach this, one way or another they will be getting this pump back! TIA

Prostock

Personally I would put either a fueling or a S&S pump and plate in when available.

DTTJGlide

300+ views & 1 reply, was hoping a dealer tech would chime in :idunno:

BigT

Call Boardtracker. Is the box labeled with the part number you ordered?

koko3052

When you call BT be prepared for someone to try to blow smoke up your butt! :embarrassed: :pop:

VDeuce

Boardtracker is pissing me off. Ordered placed on the 12th and still have not shipped yet. I have placed several orders though Surdyke a week after and already have the shipments from them.

BigT

I've ordered a lot of parts from Boardtracker with no issues other than it taking about two weeks to get the order. Nice cost savings if you have the time to wait!

Ancient

In all the iterations of those pumps has the moco rolled a p/n yet? I could be wrong but I don't think they have. So, it sucks but you got the p/n you ordered correct?
Greg

BigT

The part number changed with each pump.

shovelbill

i don't know the deal with BTHD, but i known stealerships that sell the superseded part before selling the newest # if they have stock of both.....obsolete part numbers can't be RMA'd back to the MoCo for refund.

i know a few years ago when the Rushmore bikes came out, SIM, Harley's auto ordering system through Talon, would stock you up on "Potty mouth" you didn't want or ask for, then obsolete the part # a couple months later...guess who got screwed if you couldn't sell it or put it on a WO?....they had no problem emptying their warehouse doing "Potty mouth" like that.........just my experience from 4 shops in 6 years.
build it, bust it.....figure out why

shovelbill

Quote from: BigT on March 01, 2018, 03:00:32 PM

last i checked they were up to 5 i believe.......
build it, bust it.....figure out why

Nastytls

Quote from: VDeuce on March 01, 2018, 12:14:05 PM
Boardtracker is pissing me off. Ordered placed on the 12th and still have not shipped yet. I have placed several orders though Surdyke a week after and already have the shipments from them.

Could be a backordered part? :nix: I just ordered a bunch of parts when I bought my 18' and several of them were backordered.

VDeuce

Quote from: Nastytls on March 01, 2018, 04:41:52 PM
Quote from: VDeuce on March 01, 2018, 12:14:05 PM

Could be a backordered part? :nix: I just ordered a bunch of parts when I bought my 18' and several of them were backordered.
None were backordered.

DTTJGlide

That statement is incorrect, check SB M1450, the current part # is 62400178. The latest update on M1450 states the all sumping engines should have the oil pump replaced with # 62400178 with a build date of 10/10/17 or later. There have been at least 2 updates of this part # with no suffix added. In calling 10 dealers in IA only 3 had pumps in stock, 2 of which were owned by the same corp, one of the largest car dealers in the state. I talked to their parts manager & he was unaware of the latest update of M1450, they had not been informed by MOCO, all of their pumps had dates of 6 or 7/17. They had 8 or 10 between the 2 stores & he said they were going to return them all & order new ones. The other dealer that had one in stock had one with a date of 1/15/18, a member on another forum received one the same day as mine from BT dated 12/15/17, another member got one from Surdyke with the same 12/15/17 date. I will be calling Boardtracker tomorrow & complain but I don't expect to get any satisfaction, the bad part is they have a 15% restocking fee, but I will not be keeping that pump. Again MOCO is leaving questionable parts out there to save a few $$, they're going to end up saving themselves into oblivion if they don't start owning up to & fixing their problems :emoGroan:

les

Quote from: DTTJGlide on March 01, 2018, 05:24:48 PM
That statement is incorrect, check SB M1450, the current part # is 62400178. The latest update on M1450 states the all sumping engines should have the oil pump replaced with # 62400178 with a build date of 10/10/17 or later. There have been at least 2 updates of this part # with no suffix added. In calling 10 dealers in IA only 3 had pumps in stock, 2 of which were owned by the same corp, one of the largest car dealers in the state. I talked to their parts manager & he was unaware of the latest update of M1450, they had not been informed by MOCO, all of their pumps had dates of 6 or 7/17. They had 8 or 10 between the 2 stores & he said they were going to return them all & order new ones. The other dealer that had one in stock had one with a date of 1/15/18, a member on another forum received one the same day as mine from BT dated 12/15/17, another member got one from Surdyke with the same 12/15/17 date. I will be calling Boardtracker tomorrow & complain but I don't expect to get any satisfaction, the bad part is they have a 15% restocking fee, but I will not be keeping that pump. Again MOCO is leaving questionable parts out there to save a few $$, they're going to end up saving themselves into oblivion if they don't start owning up to & fixing their problems :emoGroan:

I don't work for Boardtracker, but it might not be fair to them to bash them before they've had an opportunity to address their mistake.  You even said that the dealership had 8 or 10 still on their shelf.  Give them a chance to make it right, and lots of folks here will be interested if them make good to you.

ecir50

Knowing the problem I wouldn't have purchased it without confirming I was getting the right part, that's how this industry works.

BigT

I see what you mean three pumps 00121, 00143, 00178, and then they use the same part number for the last revised pump wtf!   Now I'm wondering what 00178 pump I was sold and installed. Threw the box out with the manufacture date.

hattitude

I will be calling Boardtracker tomorrow & complain but I don't expect to get any satisfaction, the bad part is they have a 15% restocking fee, but I will not be keeping that pump. Again MOCO is leaving questionable parts out there to save a few $$, they're going to end up saving themselves into oblivion if they don't start owning up to & fixing their problems :emoGroan:

I'm not trying to speak for, or make an excuse for Boardtracker.... But looks like both you and the MoCo are trying to save a few bucks..

MoCo by leaving "questionable" parts out there....

And you by ordering a part, at a discount online vendor, when you need a certain build date and can't inspect the part pre-purchase...

Since the date is so important, maybe you should order/buy from a local dealer, so you can inspect the build date before handing over your cash.... It's well known that the MoCo is on like the 5th version of this pump... there is bound to be old stock out in the pipeline..

les

Quote from: hattitude on March 07, 2018, 08:47:23 AM
I will be calling Boardtracker tomorrow & complain but I don't expect to get any satisfaction, the bad part is they have a 15% restocking fee, but I will not be keeping that pump. Again MOCO is leaving questionable parts out there to save a few $$, they're going to end up saving themselves into oblivion if they don't start owning up to & fixing their problems :emoGroan:

I'm not trying to speak for, or make an excuse for Boardtracker.... But looks like both you and the MoCo are trying to save a few bucks..

MoCo by leaving "questionable" parts out there....

And you by ordering a part, at a discount online vendor, when you need a certain build date and can't inspect the part pre-purchase...

Since the date is so important, maybe you should order/buy from a local dealer, so you can inspect the build date before handing over your cash.... It's well known that the MoCo is on like the 5th version of this pump... there is bound to be old stock out in the pipeline..

I disagree.  Purchasing online has become a standard normal situation with the advancement of information technology, and has been for some time now.  Therefore, business practices should have matured to the level that their online process quality matches their in store quality.  Those businesses that don't are at fault.

Nastytls

What if your local dealers refuse to offer any discount? Should you be obligated to use them regardless? Just because you buy online does than mean that you deserve to be sent parts that have been superseded due to poor design? If I was stuck with one of the conglomerates that see their customers as nothing more than dollar signs I wouldn't hesitate to buy online. Fortunately for me, I've found a dealer ( hr away :crook: ) that actually cares about their customers and wants to keep them as customers, so I no longer have to worry about buying online.

happyman

Quote from: BigT on March 01, 2018, 05:55:26 PM

I see what you mean three pumps 00121, 00143, 00178, and then they use the same part number for the last revised pump wtf!   Now I'm wondering what 00178 pump I was sold and installed. Threw the box out with the manufacture date.
Is there not different pumps for the twin cooled verses the o
il cooled? 

tomcat64

Quote from: happyman on March 07, 2018, 02:57:20 PM
Quote from: BigT on March 01, 2018, 05:55:26 PM

Is there not different pumps for the twin cooled verses the o
il cooled?

yes..

tomcat64

Quote from: shovelbill on March 01, 2018, 03:02:46 PM
i don't know the deal with BTHD, but i known stealerships that sell the superseded part before selling the newest # if they have stock of both.....obsolete part numbers can't be RMA'd back to the MoCo for refund.

i know a few years ago when the Rushmore bikes came out, SIM, Harley's auto ordering system through Talon, would stock you up on "Potty mouth" you didn't want or ask for, then obsolete the part # a couple months later...guess who got screwed if you couldn't sell it or put it on a WO?....they had no problem emptying their warehouse doing "Potty mouth" like that.........just my experience from 4 shops in 6 years.

I guess I don't know if sim does that or not, but I do know if you don't monitor daily the sim orders you are asking for trouble, it may take only a minute of two, but you HAVE to watch it, and if you don't you have nobody to blame but yourself if your inventory gets out of hand,, my experience for 1 shop in 12 years..

DTTJGlide

I will give a big kudos to Anthony at BT, not so much to MOCO for trying to get rid of inferior parts. I talked to Anthony today & explained the situation & he agreed to give me a full refund, no restocking fee, & is sending out a call tag for shipping, so my apologies to him & BT. As far as MOCO they are all about the $$$ & not losing any of them, again that sucks :turd: :emoGroan: I talked to 10 IA dealers, only 3 had the pumps, 2 of which are owned by the same company, they had 8-10 pumps between the 2 shops. When I explained to them what was going on they looked up SB M1450 & agreed that all their pumps were useless & that they planned to return them, wonder how that's going to turn out. He was not very happy that MOCO had not informed them about the change in the procedure listed in M1450. Luckily for me the 3rd dealer had a 1/15/18 pump on hand  which I picked up last Friday, so except for being out an extra $20 all's well :up:

ecir50

kudos to making it right, communication is key.