What's the verdict on oil transfer with cable clutches

Started by Jim Bronson, March 16, 2018, 05:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

My buddy's lady friend is looking at a new Low Rider, so naturally he doesn't want her to buy a problematic bike. So I was wondering whether the oil transfer is indeed only seen in bikes with hydraulic clutches, as I've read elsewhere? My '15 RK has no transfer at all.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Oz Dan

I read a thread here somewhere of a 18 M8 cable clutch bike transferring. But it must be said, be aware that nothing like all hydraulic clutch M8's have any issue though. It seems to be a matter of luck......I suspect run I might be an important factor. I've rode dealer loan bikes with horrible shifting gearboxes, so it makes me wonder how some people ride them from new, and I wonder if the two are related.
2017 FLHR Stage 2

VDeuce

Not certain. The service bulletin only mentions hydraulic clutches though...

Grayrider

I will let you know. I just bought an 18' Heritage. Get it in a few weeks
Hope it doesn't!
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

Oz Dan

2017 FLHR Stage 2

VDeuce

Well, that guy had only 1 post, no update and we never really learned whether it was initially low from delivery. Unsure on that one.

PoorUB

Quote from: VDeuce on March 19, 2018, 02:40:58 PM
Well, that guy had only 1 post, no update and we never really learned whether it was initially low from delivery. Unsure on that one.

Not very credible! His was the only one I have ever heard of and I haunt the other large HD forum too. Personally, I wouln't worry about a cable clutch.

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Bike31

The M8's with cable clutch have an oil slinger assembly (37069-90A) that's part of the clutch pushrod's right end near to the acutator. Should reduce transfer. The hydraulic clutch pushrods don't.

FSG

QuotePersonally, I wouldn't worry about a cable clutch.

me neither

bxbutch

I hope its not a problem i have a 18 heritage with 300 miles unable to ride due to these damn noreasters  & the salt covered streets another one today & its SPRING Butch

fastfxr

I have a 2018 with more than  3000km dyno tuned and ridden fairly hard no oil transfer no issues more than happy with the bike it has two year warranty if any issues they should be sorted by then :chop:

VDeuce

I have a 2018 Road Glide with a 120 and Bandit clutch with heavy springs to handle the power. With same clutch and springs on my old 2007 with cable clutch, the lever pull was lighter than the new RG was in its stock form. Now the pull is even harder of course.

I will be converting it to cable shortly and I expect the pull will be lighter. Also should prevent transfer.

helix49

Rooster 15 says his fatboy is a 2018 Fatboy-S.  The Fatboy S is a hydraulic clutch not a cable clutch.  Standard Fatboy is Cable

helix49

I stand Corrected. Rooster15 is right the new 18 Fat boy S is a cable clutch

fastfxr

Quote from: fastfxr on March 20, 2018, 04:18:12 AM
I have a 2018 sport glide with more than  3000km dyno tuned and ridden fairly hard no oil transfer no issues more than happy with the bike it has two year warranty if any issues they should be sorted by then :chop:

Jim Bronson

Thanks. I had never heard of this problem before M8 bikes with hydraulic clutches came out, so from what I'm reading, I think it is a safe bet that the cable clutches are good now.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Nastytls

Quote from: VDeuce on March 20, 2018, 04:48:20 AM
I have a 2018 Road Glide with a 120 and Bandit clutch with heavy springs to handle the power. With same clutch and springs on my old 2007 with cable clutch, the lever pull was lighter than the new RG was in its stock form. Now the pull is even harder of course.

I will be converting it to cable shortly and I expect the pull will be lighter. Also should prevent transfer.

That's interesting. I have an 18 RGS as well and find the clutch pull to be very lite compared to my 09' dyna with a bandit clutch. :idunno:

Rooster15

Don't like to get caught-up in he said-she said, yes it does , no it doesn't explanations. Bought my 2018 Fatboy-S, At 300 miles I checked my tranny  oil level. 2.5 oz. low. Maybe low from delivery, maybe misread by Teck at dealer. Acceptable error. Continue on with life. Checked again
at 1100 miles. Was 12.5 ozs low, WTF. Had droped all holes at once on 1000 miles (1100) change, so didn't get to see level in primary.
Didn't get to ride much this winter, but spring is here now, so the saga continues. Will keep close watch on level and keep posted. Brought
levels that were low to full mark and checked each time by the book.     Tx Rooster

hogpipes1

Quote from: Oz Dan on March 17, 2018, 02:45:55 PM
I read a thread here somewhere of a 18 M8 cable clutch bike transferring. But it must be said, be aware that nothing like all hydraulic clutch M8's have any issue though. It seems to be a matter of luck......I suspect run I might be an important factor. I've rode dealer loan bikes with horrible shifting gearboxes, so it makes me wonder how some people ride them from new, and I wonder if the two are related.

Dealer loners  are like the Demo  trk  rides . beat on them and never do any maintance . Every time   i
am with  a new bike on demo days, same "Potty mouth" , bad shifing , shocks not adj. wierd noise  inner pri. Can't believe a New B  would say i like this ride. I know it's just mostly adj all the "Potty mouth" . But dealers  want to sell to new riders there bike it  should be a sweet dream ride.