40217-79A Can anyone tell me if this pulley will fit my 1990 FLT?

Started by Traveler733, November 11, 2008, 09:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traveler733

I have found a new rear pulley for my 1990 FLHTCU. The number on the box is different than the one in my parts book. This one is black. The one in the parts book is silver. The number in my manual calls for an 40221-85A which is the silver one. The book gives no option for the black one.  I have not seen this new one myself. It's on an auction site. I asked the seller, he has no clue. What I need is an 1 1/2" wide 70 tooth rear sprocket. So, I'm hoping this 40217-79A will be correct.

FSG

Is it actually a pulley or a sprocket?  Do you have a link to the item on the auction site?

14Frisco

The Parts Manual for 1993 and 1994 1340 models lists 40217-79A and 40221-85A:
40217-79A - Sprocket, rear, 70T - black
40221-85A - Sprocket, rear, 70T - silver

All FLT models 93-94 used the black one.  The FXR used the black one as well, and FXRS-SP, FXLR and FXRS-CON used the silver one.  So, the only difference is probably the finish/color.  But don't know for sure.

Traveler733

Thanks for the replies!
14Frisco, that sure sounds like to me it will work. THANK YOU for taking the time to look!
My parts book is 87-90. I wonder why it didn't show the black one? That's what I want is the black one. The cast number on my old one is 40225-86A. That number doesn't come up as a good number at Chigago HD webb site. That cast number is probably not for a complete belt pulley, but a component part before the entire pulley is assembled.
SGF; I guess it it technically is a sprocket for the belt. To save confusuion I call it a pulley because the chain drives were true sprockets.

Again, Thanks!

14Frisco

In my experience, the cast numbers are not even a "true" part number for a component that is sold separately.  I think the cast numbers are more likely to be numbers used internally by HD or between HD and the manufacturer of the parts.

Traveler733

That's the way I see it too Frisco. Caterpillar does that too. I have a code book for interpiting the Cat numbers. IE; date of manufacture, plant that cast them, etc.  I won the bid for the pulley/sprocket. We'll soon see if it's correct.  :beer:

Trip

Traveler733

Buddy WMC

I'm in the same predicament as Traveler. I'm looking for a new black highlighted 1 1/2" 70T rear pulley for my FLXR. The style that I'm looking for has raised bosses for the pulley bolt washers. My model came with a silver pulley with no bosses. I'm currently using a 40225-86A that I purchased used and repainted.

Next belt change, I'd like to install a new trans and rear pulleyas well. Anyone got any ideas on where I can find one?

FSG

Buddy WMC

Traveler,
Thanks for the link, the black one is the correct part number for my FXR. The listing showed one available, but one had already been purchased. Not sure if they had two of them to start out with. I purchased the pulley and am waiting for them to open up today and send an invoice before I pay them. That way I'll know that they have it before I fork over the cash.

Traveler733

I got my new pulley installed and the weather allowed a test ride today here in northern Utah if you can imagine that...?  It's usually near 0 degrees here this time of the year. Today it was near 55. :teeth: I got a nice 40 mile test ride in!
That cured my belt squeek problem!  Don't waste your money on a New billet, chrome plated after market rear pulley. As soon as the chrome wears off, the teeth wear fast! And squeek, no matter what you do as far as tensioning the belt or alighnment. I only got around 5,000 miles on that chrome POS. Harley has some special process to harden the teeth on the pulleys they use. Maybe I can get another 100,000 miles out of this one.... :beer: