May 04, 2024, 10:27:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S Mini Teardrop

Started by flh canuck, March 22, 2018, 12:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flh canuck

Saw this air filter from S&S (part no. 170-0435) installed on a new Milwaukee 8 at the local dealership. Looks really old school and a nice change from all the "blingy" looking modern designs out there.

I've already ordered one for my Ultra but wondering if anyone else is running this air cleaner and if there has been any testing done as far as performance of this unit?

I am presently running the screamin eagle air cleaner but dont really care for the canned ham look.....
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

tmwmoose

Seen it online and am under the impression its the same ole teardrop assy with just a redesigned smaller cover yes/no ?

Ancient

Quote from: flh canuck on March 22, 2018, 12:01:37 PM
Saw this air filter from S&S (part no. 170-0435) installed on a new Milwaukee 8 at the local dealership. Looks really old school and a nice change from all the "blingy" looking modern designs out there.

I've already ordered one for my Ultra but wondering if anyone else is running this air cleaner and if there has been any testing done as far as performance of this unit?

I am presently running the screamin eagle air cleaner but dont really care for the canned ham look.....

[attach=0]
Greg

1FSTRK

As the engines get larger and the heads flow more I would want to see testing on any Air cleaner that sells as a "mini" and features it is 85% of the original size.
It may work but it may be just another "looks" air cleaner.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

HD/Wrench

if your given air pump does not need more air it will be fine . Filter is a restriction at some point so when air pump outgrows it,.. power is lost . No way to know if you need a larger filter without testing . In my experience the smaller units will reduce power some what . Look at the 18 cvo 117 we did testing on . Stock vs the Trask high flow unit . We where loosing a bit of power to the stock CVO unit  Now on a 107 stage 1 if you loose any it will not be much maybe 1-3 . on paper you see it.. Riding you will never feel that small of a change .

Tuning as many bikes as we do in a year , I see all kinds of parts that are more looks than go. But if you like the look and are not worried about a slight loss if any . Then dont worry about it . And sure do not worry about some key board hero telling you how bad it is .. Bolt it on enjoy the new look of YOUR bike with YOUR money you spent and go ride .  :up: :chop:

harpwrench

Isn't it just a cover for the stealth?

tmwmoose

Quote from: tmwmoose on March 22, 2018, 12:24:08 PM
Seen it online and am under the impression its the same ole teardrop assy with just a redesigned smaller cover yes/no ?
Quote from: harpwrench on March 23, 2018, 09:27:10 AM
Isn't it just a cover for the stealth?

It is designed to fit all previously installed Stealth air filter kits as cover only or purchased as a complete stealth kit.
Isn't S&S a site supporter here I would think they would be interested in clearing little stuff like this up ,oh well

flh canuck

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on March 23, 2018, 06:22:05 AM

if your given air pump does not need more air it will be fine . Filter is a restriction at some point so when air pump outgrows it,.. power is lost . No way to know if you need a larger filter without testing . In my experience the smaller units will reduce power some what . Look at the 18 cvo 117 we did testing on . Stock vs the Trask high flow unit . We where loosing a bit of power to the stock CVO unit  Now on a 107 stage 1 if you loose any it will not be much maybe 1-3 . on paper you see it.. Riding you will never feel that small of a change .

Tuning as many bikes as we do in a year , I see all kinds of parts that are more looks than go. But if you like the look and are not worried about a slight loss if any . Then dont worry about it . And sure do not worry about some key board hero telling you how bad it is .. Bolt it on enjoy the new look of YOUR bike with YOUR money you spent and go ride .  :up: :chop:

Thanks for the info. I am actually pretty happy with the performance of this 107 and the exhaust note right out of the box. Aside from the air cleaner replacement, I am going to leave the engine stock, at least till the warranty runs out.

Eventually I intend to install a performance cam which will then require a tuner and of course might as well replace the exhaust while it is off for the cam install... but for now I am perfectly happy with the stock performance so will run it as is and spend any extra money on other important things like beer and chicken wings....  :beer: :smiled:
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

HD/Wrench

Nothing wrong with that at all .. I know that many here are truly dedicated to performance and many of the topics are focused on that . However as i said tuning as many bikes as I do . Its not really that big of a deal . Make it shiny and look the way you want and ride the wheels off it .  :chop: :chop: