May 04, 2024, 01:21:08 AM

News:

M8 114 Remap

Started by Grayrider, March 26, 2018, 05:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grayrider

114 Heritage comes with a high flow air cleaner.
Is it mapped richer from the factory for the flow and if so can the existing map handle a set of V&H slipons? 
Or does it need a remap with pipes? Not quite sure exact mufflers yet.
Going to run stock pipes up to the 1000 mile service and consider pipes at that point.
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

PoorUB

EPA tunes are lean. Higher flowing exhaust ans AC just make it run leaner. I would not recommend modifying the bike without getting it tuned.

For that matter, you might be surprised how much HP and torque will improve with a stock engine and getting it tuned.

Keep in mind that pretty much anything but HD exhaust and tuner will void the warranty.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Gordon61

I don't have a new license for it yet but I hooked up my Power Vision to my new stock Fatboy 114 and ran a log.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the CLI/AFF not that far out at all. 

However, mine was pulling 4º or so of timing at any revs above 60kpa so I'm not sure what that's all about yet.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Gordon61 on March 27, 2018, 12:03:40 PM
I don't have a new license for it yet but I hooked up my Power Vision to my new stock Fatboy 114 and ran a log.  I was pleasantly surprised to see the CLI/AFF not that far out at all. 

However, mine was pulling 4º or so of timing at any revs above 60kpa so I'm not sure what that's all about yet.

Well if you have any readings on the lean side it can cause timing to be pulled.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

remington007

The factory EPA tune is in closed loop all the way out to 85KPA or so on the main FA table. So yes its lean when a load is applied. The street tuner will keep that range also. 

Gordon61

What puzzled me was why develop a lean map, tune the VE tables reasonably close, yet have the spark tables apparently so far out?? weird

1FSTRK

Quote from: Gordon61 on March 27, 2018, 02:14:17 PM
What puzzled me was why develop a lean map, tune the VE tables reasonably close, yet have the spark tables apparently so far out?? weird

Every part of the cal was designed to pass the EPA test. Do not confuse that with designed to make a good running, happy engine that will also pass EPA. If it passed EPA and lasted until the warranty period endurance test was met it left the factory in the bike. 

Grayrider

Would I be able to adjust the A/F with an auto tuner [Thunder Max type] without hitting a dyno first?
I know a dyno tune would be best but not aware of any GOOD tuners in the lower end if Southern ON.
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

Gordon61

Quote from: 1FSTRK on March 27, 2018, 02:40:20 PM
Every part of the cal was designed to pass the EPA test. Do not confuse that with designed to make a good running, happy engine that will also pass EPA. If it passed EPA and lasted until the warranty period endurance test was met it left the factory in the bike.

I get emissions and all the EPA stuff and running a mostly lean AFR table, but the point was why not tune the spark tables (at least reasonably close), instead of chucking any old thing in there and leaving the knock sensors to pull the timing to fit.  Didn't seem to make sense?

1FSTRK

Quote from: Gordon61 on March 28, 2018, 02:55:20 AM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on March 27, 2018, 02:40:20 PM

I get emissions and all the EPA stuff and running a mostly lean AFR table, but the point was why not tune the spark tables (at least reasonably close), instead of chucking any old thing in there and leaving the knock sensors to pull the timing to fit.  Didn't seem to make sense?

When you set out to pass a test, everything you do is to pass that test, that day, under those conditions. Why do you think the gearing is so ridiculous in these bikes? If you need to test in high gear at a highway speed of 65 mph and you can not pass with your engine spinning 3000 rpm you gear it so it spins 2600 rpm to make less emissions. The test bikes during the test were not at real street temperatures under real street loads to simulate real riding conditions and during the test they could be run that lean, with that much timing without it being pulled to make the number that passed.. Once it passed EPA that is the base cal, no changes allowed. Now take that same bike and run it in the real world and all kind of bad things happen. To look at it in reverse take a bike and tune it for the real world, runs cool. good acceleration, no timing pulled and put it on the test drum, It will fail with flying colors.

HD/Wrench

Not many take the time to tune a 100% stock bike .. for various reason . However here is a true untouched 2018 117 bike in 100% stock form that we tested. Then Re tuned all of the stock parts just as the bike was shipped from the factory . You can see that the increase was very nice..  So with that being said the EPA cals have to be something that is going to pass all testing and thus , its very clean running "  power and heat well that is a whole new bag of items for another post.

jeff l 18 cvo 117 stock 5, 6 gr pull TTS tune by GMR Performance, on Flickr

joes124

What an improvement, and I noticed 90 degrees...stay hydrated.

Gordon61

Very nice indeed, just goes to show one size does not fit all

lucasg

Quote from: Grayrider on March 27, 2018, 02:46:21 PM
Would I be able to adjust the A/F with an auto tuner [Thunder Max type] without hitting a dyno first?
I know a dyno tune would be best but not aware of any GOOD tuners in the lower end if Southern ON.

Grayrider;  I've been in the same boat as you looking for a decent tuner in Southern Ontario.  I have heard good things about Rockys Harley in London, ON .  Another guy you could try is Don Morris at Stay  Tuned Systems in Mt. Hope, just outside Hamilton.  He likes the SE Super Super, not a fan of the TTS Mastertune.  Not sure why.  He did get most if the bugs out of the lousy HD dealer tune I got when they built my 107 " in my 08 Street   Glide .  Good luck...

HD/Wrench

The point was to show that even  a stock bike is running under what it can be . I am sure if I played around with that I could have tweaked a bit more out.. But time being what it is and just needed to see how it would work within reason . That was good enough for testing at that point..

hdbikedoc

Lately I have been using stock tunes in most bike with the PV tuner  with stage 1 or two
the tunes are close and by pulling out the tune out of bike and tuning the cal number doesn't change
this is important for warranty as the bike hasn't been modified .
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

HV

I use the pulled Stock Tune with a PV then Moded also because it shows the OEM Sorfware Level as well  :teeth:

Even the Homologation ID stays the same when read on the DT
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT