SE 64mm Throttle Body on a 107 stage 2.

Started by Dave I., April 16, 2018, 06:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave I.

Posted this on the other forum, but figured I'd try here as well since it seems more tech related.

I've got a 17 road glide, that currently has a 447 harley torque cam, thunderheader, tman no loss intake and power vision.  I am switching to chain drive and gearing down 5.5%.  I have rs468 and s&s 475c cams sitting here and I'm leaning towards the 475c.

I bought the SE 64mm throttle body and was going to put it on when I do the cam and other stuff. Being a harley part I figure it doesn't flow what an hpi would out of the box. Not sure how much better it even is than the stock tb. Is the se 64mm too big for a cam only 107? I did some reading and from what I found it probably would be with a TC, but with the m8 heads being so different I'm wondering if it would work. I am tempted to just try it anyway but if it's a definite no go I'll just toss it on the shelf for a bigger motor.

Durwood

There is only one way that I know for sure to find out, bolt it on and tune it. Speculation and Twin Cam experience doesn't apply.

1FSTRK

:agree:
It is well know that the stock tb needs improvement, I have found no tests where a better tb was tuned back to back with a stock one on a stage one or two bike but I would do it in a heart beat if I own one just for the information.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

HD/Wrench

:agree:

Testing is the only way to know.. Way back when in the early TC days we tested a 53, or 54 :scratch:  zippers unit on a stock 88 inch bike .  What we found was that nothing changed . Bike had a 203 or 204 cam in it and you could not see enough change to say that one was better than the next  too long ago now to recall everything spot on   .. Now along comes the M8 and its back to the drawing board and start the testing over.

M8 is nothing like the TC and that is very clear .  Run the cam you want tune with stock then back to back on the 64  :up: :up:

1FSTRK

I agree with Steve, the M-8 is nothing like the Twin cam or any other big twin HD ever released.The Twin cam head were lacking in stock form but the M-8 head flow more than the stock engine could ever use.

jbroski

64 will offer more performance. Ported manifold and velocity stack from ward performance  even more gains. I've ran stock, hpi, se 64, se 64 w/manifold. Ported manifold is above and beyond. If it doesn't work I'll buy it back.

Dave I.

What size engine? I have the velocity stack on the way from tman for the 64. I've heard Ward will match it up to his work.

Quote from: jbroski on April 17, 2018, 04:35:16 PM
64 will offer more performance. Ported manifold and velocity stack from ward performance  even more gains. I've ran stock, hpi, se 64, se 64 w/manifold. Ported manifold is above and beyond. If it doesn't work I'll buy it back.

Dave I.

I'm planning to take to RC cycle in Hayward, CA. To do the install and dyno it. They have a really good reputation in this area. I'll have to talk to them about tuning it both ways and see what they say. Just waiting for the rest of the parts to show up. Hoping I dont regret ordering the fueling oil pump and cam plate.

Mainecat

I just added the SE 64 TB and bigger injectors with nothing else on my 114".  Picked up 5-6 tq and hp from idle all the way through the band.  Worth the $ imo.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Mainecat on April 23, 2018, 02:59:03 PM
I just added the SE 64 TB and bigger injectors with nothing else on my 114".  Picked up 5-6 tq and hp from idle all the way through the band.  Worth the $ imo.

Would you post the dyno graphs for us?

Mainecat

Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 23, 2018, 03:04:13 PM

Would you post the dyno graphs for us?

Tried, moderator wouldn't let me post since the last run was in STD.

Mainecat

April 24, 2018, 06:03:40 PM #11 Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:10:35 PM by Mainecat
Looks like I post them here.  Tried originally in the dyno section. 

Mainecat

April 24, 2018, 06:04:58 PM #12 Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:11:17 PM by Mainecat
Here is both, the stock and then with the SE 64MM TB and injectors added only.

Mainecat

Looks like I got them both on the 2nd attempt

1FSTRK

Quote from: Mainecat on April 24, 2018, 06:09:46 PM
Looks like I got them both on the 2nd attempt

Numbers are a little skewed due to the graphs changing from SAE to STD with the bigger TB but it did gain and lengthen the tq curve regardless.

sfmichael

if comparing an SAE to an STD run to quantify the gains they are surely less than the 5-6 across the board - I was somewhat shocked to read of such a relatively big increase from that change

that being said, the gains were still likely 2-3 across the board an that is still pretty good in my book and what I would typically expect to see from a swap like this

sometimes there are 0 gains although many claim they still feel the bike runs stronger / more lively after the swap

I've never done the back-to-back dyno on these components only due the cost for dyno time and customers usually aren't up for the cost of the experiment - we always just did (or didn't do) the T/Body as part of a build

thanks for the info Mainecat - good stuff  :up: :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

nvelez2017

I have the 18 CVO and the TB with injectors on order. I'm installing the 22X cam with Basani exhaust and Arlen ness air filter. I'm told the 64mm TB wouldn't do much for me since I'm using the stock heads and that I'd most likely lose a lot of mpg. I was also told I'd lose a little torque early in the RPM range. Now I'm rethinking my decision to install them.

Anyone have advice if I should go ahead with it or stick with stock injectors and TB

1FSTRK

Quote from: nvelez2017 on May 01, 2018, 11:12:29 AM
I have the 18 CVO and the TB with injectors on order. I'm installing the 22X cam with Basani exhaust and Arlen ness air filter. I'm told the 64mm TB wouldn't do much for me since I'm using the stock heads and that I'd most likely lose a lot of mpg. I was also told I'd lose a little torque early in the RPM range. Now I'm rethinking my decision to install them.

Anyone have advice if I should go ahead with it or stick with stock injectors and TB

If you have a good dyno tuner in your area then I would give it a try. What brand tuning device do you have?

nvelez2017

Quote from: 1FSTRK on May 01, 2018, 12:05:45 PM
Quote from: nvelez2017 on May 01, 2018, 11:12:29 AM

If you have a good dyno tuner in your area then I would give it a try. What brand tuning device do you have?
Going to use the Power commander V