We found and have our "new to us" 1989 Evo Sporty 883 w forward controls

Started by flhs90, May 06, 2009, 06:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

We are over in the Evo big twin side of things and have crossed over to the dark side of the Sporty. Not.

Just wanting to say thanks in advance for anwers to our bike that are bound to crop up.

Bike has 22,700 miles or so. Just returned from a 50 mile round trip today from Logsden, Oregon to Newport so along with our test rides last night we have put about 71 miles on it to get a "feel for it." It is a sweet Harley Evo sporty, well card for by it's original and second owner. I was told the original owner was a mechanic at San Jose Harley Davidson so his care speaks for itself. Bike is deep garnet red I believe, that beautiful set of tins; carb air filter is a K & N and has had screaming eagle jets installed. Otherwise a stocker.

Funny, with my Electra Glide in the shop for a new drive belt, I have a spare bike to ride. It is the chain drive four speed but has been well cared for and should meet our needs as our daughter wants to learn to ride. Here in Oregon if under 21 it is mandatory to enroll in the Team Oregon Motorcycle Safety Course and that is a great thing.
She has her learner's permit and earned that by taking the written test. She also must ride with a licensed motorcyle rider.

Thanks in advance for the tech help.

FLHS 90/1989 883 Sporty

:up:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

andyxlh

Hello!
welcome to the world of 4-speed evo sporty ownership!
I have had my '89 for many years and have over 100,000miles on it, so you have plenty to go with that one!
they are funny beasts though, generally giving more problems than the bulletproof '91 up 5 speeds. main problem areas are the charging system and oil tank leaks due to cracking at the front battery mount.
if you are interested I have a few pics and some details about these bikes on my site:
www.youfreeweb.com/andysharleys
cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

flhs90

Andy:

Thanks for the reply and link to your website. We will have you as some 89 model specific we can turn to for help.
We were looking for a bike in our price range and for $2500 U.S. we felt that we made a good choice. Money is a little bit tighter in this economy so a 5-speed 91 and up belt drive was a little more pricey from we noticed.
Sounds like the problems are fixable and one of the things we like best about Harleys is the opportunity to ride and learn the ins and outs of individual Harleys along the continuum of over some 100 years of riding history.

Cheers from Oregon:

Dave and his daughter the proud new rider of a "new to her" 1989 Sportster.

flhs90

Andy:

After going to your website I don't want to sound nervous but we want to do the preventative maintainance you mentioned as far as the clutch basket/charging systme magnets and stator are concerned.
We were told the bike has Redline trans/primary/clutch  fluild since new and that it was cared for by a HD mechanic who worked at San Jose Harley Davidson for 15 years.

What in your opinion would we do as preventative insurance so as not to be out the expensive repair of $400 US to get back on the road?

Bike has 23,000 K miles as we speak.

No worries mate she be right!

Dave :wtf: :beer: :up:

andyxlh

Hi Dave
the clutch basket issue seems to crop up over a larger mileage than you have on your bike - my first one lasted 50000 miles, the second one almost another 50 as I remember - would have to look in my records though. The problem occurs i believe because of the large rotating mass on the clutch shaft which puts a lot of strain on the bearings and cause the shaft to vibrate and the magnets to either vibrate off or contact the stator and be torn off. The result of course is no charging system... and then a nasty grinding noise as the magnets chew up the stator. when they go replacing the basket only is often a short term fix I have been told as the bearings are still worn and can cause it to happen sooner.
I think this is a longer-term problem which you don't have to worry about right now. I would consider geting one of those Kuryakyn battery monitors which gives you the charging rate of the battery as a series of LEDs, this will check the charging system as you ride. I have one on all my bikes and they have saved me a long walk a few times! I have also fitted an auto primary tensioner in an attempt to smooth out the shocks transferred from the crank to the clutch shell. have no hard data that this does help, but makes sense to me...
There is an excellent book about sportsters - I don't have to to hand, but the author has the unusual name of Kenna Love and it is called the evolution sportster performance handbook. In it he recommends to dismantle the primary for checking on the 4 speeds at the beginning of each riding season (depending on how much you ride I guess) to check to see the condition of the magnets and stator, as well as the trapdoor bolts. I can attest to this - i did mine about 18 months ago and found 2 stripped transmission trapdoor bolts and the clutch basket in tatters - but I have a whole lot more miles than you have on yours - about 100000 at that time I believe.
It sounds like your original and low mileage bike has had a much easier life than my old girl, and if I were you I'd feel confident in riding the wheels off it and enjoy it! keep an eye out for pieces of magnet in the primary fluid, get a battery LED monitor (i fitted mine on the triple trees between the risers) and consider gertting the clymer or HD manual.
cheers mate
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

flhs90

Cheers back at ya Andy:

My buddy Ron and I looked over the bike and it is one sweet 20 year ol sporty.! Ya hoooo!
We put the leather saddle bags back on  realized what a clean sporty this one is!
Of course there was the usual Sat. afternoon beer and music to keep us company.

We'll use the feedback you gave us to keep us on the road! Maybe swap out the bearing as mentioned at 30K.
Why not, cheap fix!

Cheers back to ya Andy. Your website rocks big time! :beer: :up: :smiled:

andyxlh

Real pleased for ya. As a Hells Angel once said to me in a gas station - "You got one of the last real Harleys - 4 spped and chain drive!"
cheers
Andy

flhs90

Succeeded in loading pic.

"one of the last real Harleys, chain drive and 4 speed" by Hell's Angel anonymous.

LOL

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Panzer

flhs90,
Congrats on the sporty, she'll love it.
Nothing wrong with taking the MC safety course......,may even lower her insurance once she passes.

Good luck and many happy smiles,
Panzer

Good stuff Andy  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

flhs90

Panzer and Andy:

We love the bike and appreciate your help and comments. We did not wan my daughter Kassie to start on my big bagger. It would not be the way to build her "confidence." I have been showing her the safety tips they taught me in the course but when she hears it in class and practices it on the course over and over she'll have it become instinct as it must be.
I'm amazed at how well the bike handles in the corners, with a 4 speed it is easy to learn the shifting points up or down 10mph, 20mph, 3omph, and 40mph and vice versa. Of course the bike seems to be even forgiving in this matter. I' m used to the big windshield on the FLHS so this bike is all about the wind in your face and the bugs you ride into.

Cheers from Oregon and thanks for the tech help as needed.

Ride safe, ride often.

FLHS90
89 Sporty 883 stocker :beer: :up: :teeth: