May 03, 2024, 11:27:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

sumping issues on the oil cooled m8

Started by happyman, April 27, 2018, 05:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyman

Curious if there are sumping issues with the M8 oil cooled, motor,  or is it all related to the twin cooled motors?
Thanks

VDeuce

Most if not all of the ones I've heard of are oil cooled..

happyman

Quote from: VDeuce on April 28, 2018, 06:05:28 AM
Most if not all of the ones I've heard of are oil cooled..
that is interesting. all along was under the impression it was mostly the twin cooled motors. this is a surprise to me, for sure.
Thanks   

kd

The twin cooled (wet head) is a twin cam with an optional cooling feature. The oil cooled (M8) is a re-designed (single cam) engine totally different from the twin cam design. The wet head uses the twin cam (so called proven) oil pump and system components and the M8 uses a new design (obviously not proven) oil pump and system.
KD

happyman

Quote from: kd on April 28, 2018, 07:23:16 AM
The twin cooled (wet head) is a twin cam with an optional cooling feature. The oil cooled (M8) is a re-designed (single cam) engine totally different from the twin cam design. The wet head uses the twin cam (so called proven) oil pump and system components and the M8 uses a new design (obviously not proven) oil pump and system.
do we call the 2017 CVO with oil cooled and the wet heads twin cooled also  the ultras

PoorUB

Harley still uses the Twin Cooled terminology with the M8. Don't believe me? Take a look at

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/2018/touring/ultra-limited.html
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

flh canuck

Have a Twin-Cooled 2018 Ultra sitting in my garage.

Just returned home from a 4000 mile ride down to southern California/Nevada and back. Handled the 104 degree heat of Death Valley with no issues whatsoever. Ran it hard on many higher speed interstates and no sumping or other issues of any kind. That being said, my buddy with his 2017 oil cooled Road King also had zero issues on this trip. I think I was most impressed with how quiet this new engine is compared to my last 103 Twin Cam. This engine just purrs along effortlessly regardless of how hot the temperature is, or how hard I run it.

Pretty happy with the new Milwaukee 8!!!
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

happyman

Quote from: flh canuck on April 29, 2018, 08:48:20 AM

Just returned home from a 4000 mile ride down to southern California/Nevada and back. Handled the 104 degree heat of Death Valley with no issues whatsoever. Ran it hard on many higher speed interstates and no sumping or other issues of any kind. That being said, my buddy with his 2017 oil cooled Road King also had zero issues on this trip. I think I was most impressed with how quiet this new engine is compared to my last 103 Twin Cam. This engine just purrs along effortlessly regardless of how hot the temperature is, or how hard I run it.

everyone should be so lucky as to have a  reliable ride

cmashark

My sumping was on a stage 3 twin cooled 2017 CVO Street Glide.
2021 FLHXSE

happyman

Quote from: cmashark on May 03, 2018, 02:52:06 AM

has your dealer told you the fix yet? how much oil are you getting  when you check the amount.   used to be 3 oz last I seen was raided to six oz. as the summer goes on that limit may raise again.

hd06myway

Quote from: flh canuck on April 29, 2018, 08:48:20 AM

nice to hear that Canada... no question in my mind the M8 is the best motor Harley's ever made just like every other motor that followed Harley in 115 yrs was better than the previous one.... too many nay sayers around here....good to see positive boots in the wind feedback!

cmashark

Quote from: happyman on May 03, 2018, 06:01:28 AM

has your dealer told you the fix yet? how much oil are you getting  when you check the amount.   used to be 3 oz last I seen was raided to six oz. as the summer goes on that limit may raise again.

They bought it back. From what they told me, they changed the oil pump and sold it to someone else.  That was last summer.  When I tested it for sumping, I got 9 ounces the first time and 8 ounces the second time.  When the dealer tested it the following day, they got "more than 8 ounces".
2021 FLHXSE

happyman

Quote from: cmashark on May 04, 2018, 08:27:03 PM

They bought it back. From what they told me, they changed the oil pump and sold it to someone else.  That was last summer.  When I tested it for sumping, I got 9 ounces the first time and 8 ounces the second time.  When the dealer tested it the following day, they got "more than 8 ounces".
Curious  who is they?  amazing someone bought it back

cmashark

Quote from: happyman on May 04, 2018, 10:08:57 PM
Quote from: cmashark on May 04, 2018, 08:27:03 PM

Curious  who is they?  amazing someone bought it back

The dealership.  Could be because I've bought 5 new bikes from them in the last couple years.  Could also be that it's rare for them to have a CVO (new or used) sit on their floor long so they knew it would sell and I would be looking for my next bike.  Last month I bought my 4th M8 from them.  It's a 2018 RGS.  Couldn't resist the pearl white.
2021 FLHXSE

Txwezl

I checked mine last week for the first time. It had about 8 1/2 ounces in the sump but I've not had any problems to this point.

happyman

Quote from: Txwezl on May 12, 2018, 05:24:41 PM
I checked mine last week for the first time. It had about 8 1/2 ounces in the sump but I've not had any problems to this point.
so now the question is how many oz. is still in  there after you check how many oz.  the way they are checked now?  we know there is a actually a  drain plug below that location where its being checked from that will have 8 oz in it also.  so now how much oil can you have in the motor before your dragging the lower end through it and losing some hp and tq you paid dearly for?  or how much does it take to after a oeriod of time will be bearing puke and leave you holding the bag?  or just flat assed smoke the moter completely and ruin your vacation  or a nice ride on the weekend ? just never know

BigT

My bored 107"  to 117" has been running great. About 1500 miles on it and has been using zero oil. Just checked my oil level after a 1/2 hour high rpm highway blast and I'm down well over a quart. No doubt it is sitting in the lower end sump.  Not very happy at the moment.

happyman

Quote from: BigT on May 23, 2018, 07:03:03 PM
My bored 107"  to 117" has been running great. About 1500 miles on it and has been using zero oil. Just checked my oil level after a 1/2 hour high rpm highway blast and I'm down well over a quart. No doubt it is sitting in the lower end sump.  Not very happy at the moment.
Welcome to the nightmare!!  not funny.

VDeuce

My 120 sumped. Installed Feuling race pump and have not been able to get it to sump since. More money but I think it'll keep the motor alive.

happyman

Quote from: VDeuce on May 23, 2018, 08:22:42 PM
My 120 sumped. Installed Feuling race pump and have not been able to get it to sump since. More money but I think it'll keep the motor alive.
you by chance  have oil cooled, instead of twin cooled ??

Don D

Check the leakdown.

VDeuce

Quote from: happyman on May 23, 2018, 08:54:09 PM
you by chance  have oil cooled, instead of twin cooled ??
Yes, oil cooled.

BigMo

Im putting the Feuling pump and plate in my Road King oil cooled....hoping to alleviate this condition. Soon to find out, no signs of it so far. Also gonna use S&S lifters, said to help w oil flow....
BigMo

Heatwave3

I have a 2017 liquid cooled M8 CVO Limited. I have had 4 engines in the bike, installed and replaced under warranty. The first 3 sumped with stage IV kit installed. The last engine was built at the factory as a Stage IV 117. My dealer says that based on the engine case #s, he believes its a 2019 engine. No sumping so far after 1500 miles.

Txwezl

Last time I checked my twin cooled M8 I got 8.5 ounces. Never had any of the problems other people have with overheating and destroying the motor