May 04, 2024, 10:03:36 AM

News:

Simple mod to identify sumping...

Started by Maddo Snr, May 03, 2018, 12:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maddo Snr

What do you blokes think of the notion of installing a sight-glass in the primary cover of M8 motors?

There's plenty of OEM sight-glass options to utilise, it'd simply be a matter of identifying the appropriate level of a normal fill and fitting the sight-glass into the cover. If the motor started sumping it would be immediately apparent.

Good idea or not? Any bugs you guys can see?
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

cmashark

In the primary, it wouldn't do any good.  In the cam chest, maybe, but doubtful.  Oil is being left in the crankcase.
2021 FLHXSE

Maddo Snr

Quote from: cmashark on May 03, 2018, 02:50:19 AM
In the primary, it wouldn't do any good.  In the cam chest, maybe, but doubtful.  Oil is being left in the crankcase.

All good, I've misunderstood the nature of the issue. I'll do some research.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

BKACHE

Maddo, you are right about the transfer from the tranny to the primary.
I would suspect the check of the tran dipstick is a lot easier than making a see thru primary cover.
Sometimes I love my shovel. 
Dan

happyman

that's a hell of a task , you pill the little plug in a few seconds. you get an idea then. you can if you want the real amount you should pull the plug on the case. not the one you drain the oil from  a change.  its the other one and it will have at least 8 oz. of oil drop out of it. strange for a dry sump huh.  it is what it is  and it will take some serious work on the cases or a new design with volume and breathers that let the engine breath.

cmashark

There is an easier way. On my M8 that had the sumping issue, I had a PowerVision mounted on the handlebars. When I was going down the road at a steady speed, no real load on the bike, my temperatures were rising. When I stopped at a stop sign, the longer I sat, the lower my temps would go.
2021 FLHXSE

happyman

Quote from: cmashark on May 04, 2018, 08:23:35 PM
There is an easier way. On my M8 that had the sumping issue, I had a PowerVision mounted on the handlebars. When I was going down the road at a steady speed, no real load on the bike, my temperatures were rising. When I stopped at a stop sign, the longer I sat, the lower my temps would go.
use the digital oil dipstick here and keep  the  warranty.  the throttle   response and the power is a dead giveaway.   and then the right leg feel. I pull the plug  because I want to see how many oz. the motor has in it. take a pic and perhaps send it to someone or just keep in in a file as reference. how the power feels is a way to  remind you  there more likely than not your motor is destroying itself.