Crane ign module recommended settings

Started by fxstbob, May 07, 2009, 06:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxstbob

I have a 95", flat top, stock heads, se 204 build with mikuni carb and cycle shack exhaust. My most recent addition will be a crane ign module. I'd like some recommendations on a starting point to set the dials.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

fxstbob

OK, nobody has responded, so I installed the module, and, judging by the timing is everything thread that says stock timing is retarded in the low throttle low rpm area, I set the initial to 6 and the slope to 6. Initial seat of pants impression is much smoother, vibration wise, and sound wise, everywhere in rpm range and throttle settings except idle, which took an eighth turn richer idle screw setting to cure. It has actually quieted the loud exhaust note of the early opening 204 cams to near stock levels, yet forward thrust feels stronger. I've lost my racy sounding idle to a smoother stock sounding idle. A lot of guys say the stock module is good enough for a mild build, but this just reassures my belief that the stock epa approved timing is a compromise. I'm not sure I want to mess with any other settings, it runs so good, but that's not my nature. We'll see. I couldn't make it ping, so I may try advancing it a bit more.

Bob