April 27, 2024, 03:56:05 PM

News:

EVO Fatso Motor

Started by jah457, November 01, 2008, 01:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motoguy47 and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

jah457

Curious whether anyone has built a Fatso (EVO bottom, TC top) and any comments about how they run..

Thx
LoBoy
---------------
Cheers
LoBoy

Trip

Does a Shovel top Pan bottom count??? ;D

ModelABob

Trip,

I think what you're talk'n about is a bastardised Panhead :P Or maybe a better way of saying it is a "glorified" Panhead! ;D Either way I'll say that the Shovelhead is most deffinitely the best sounding Harley. 8)

AMF/Ride Safe ;)
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

stroker800

Me and a buddy built a Fatvo,  this is not a stock evo bottom end. The cases come from Sputhe as do pistons. You need 4 1/4 stock evo flywheel and rod assembly, oil pump,cam, lifters and blocks,pushrods and tubes...From the TC you need cyls and heads..There is a little trouble getting the pushrods to not rub on th insides of the tubes,,from what I gather newer heads have different tube angle which makes it fit even tighter...The motor we built was smooth and powerful, buy it blended into the background just as all evo and twinkies do.....nothing special bout them.

Dave

Trip

You cant miss the sound of a fire breathin Shovel...thats for sure!!...they sound great!!!...when they run..............................(lol) :o

wfolarry

I have one & it runs good. Relocating the intake pushrod holes is the hardest part. it's for sale if you're interested. I might part it out as I plan on building a 113 this winter so if you just want the cases, heads & cylinders I'll give you a good deal. PM me if interested.

Unicorn

Interested but just spent $ on EVO ported Heads & 10.5:1 pistons, the fatvo has been one on my pet future projects
Larryk

Buddy WMC

Unicorn,
Sell those heads and pistons, it will be a good engine done right. Larry knows what he is doing, I couldn't be happier with his setup that I am using.

Larry,
I e-mailed those dyno numbers did you get them? Somewhere close to 98.6 hp and almost 96 Ft lbs, not bad for a 93 FXR huh?

wfolarry

I got the e-mail but there was no dyno attached. Good #'s. Especially for those lousy SE heads everybody complains about. ;)

Pzokes

November 05, 2008, 05:35:18 PM #9 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:55:37 PM by Pzokes
I built one on Sputhe's version #3 cases.  He's selling version #4 now.  I used Sputhe pistons, Andrews 2-7 camshaft, S&S lifters & blocks, Crane thin chromemoly pushrods,  '99 heads with the pushrod holes relocated.  It's a nice reliable stealth motor with lots of torque.  I'm upgrading a little this winter by having Larry port a set of 2007 heads, and adding compression releases.  There is a long string on my motor build on Chopper Handbook Forum. You'll have to register to see the pictures.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

Buddy WMC

Quote from: wfolarry on November 05, 2008, 03:38:27 PM
I got the e-mail but there was no dyno attached. Good #'s. Especially for those lousy SE heads everybody complains about. ;)

Larry,

My dyno guy knows what he is doing. Thinks that maybe the EVL-5015NG we chose has a little too much duration, but the lift is good. The staggered dual Samsons instead of a Thunderheader is not helping either (I hate the looks and price). There is a slight flat spot at about 2200rpm, probably attributable to the cam. After that, she pulls like a freight train. The torque curve is fairly flat and steady at those numbers from the hit of the throttle to 100mph in 4th gear. The HP curve climbs steadily till 100 mph then the carb goes a little fat at 5800 rpm and she falls off.

Rev limiter is set @ 6000 anyways, curve #2 on the Dyna 2000, 35 degrees on the timing set with a light, Voes is operational, 32 intermediate jet, 68 main on the S&S (earlier carb no air bleed jet), float level was raised 1/8", bowl vent plug was removed. Nine total pulls on the Dynojet, the numbers supplied are from the final pull. Run conditions: air temp 78.62F, 26.72 in-HG, humidity 26% (nice for Florida), SAE 1.13. My dyno guy thinks that there is more there with maybe a cam change and cetainly an exhaust change.

Any input here boss man? Just how fast does an old man with an FXR need to go anyways :teeth:? BTW, she now has a Baker DD6 installed. I got tired of turning over 3800rpm @ 85mph.

Buddy WMC

November 08, 2008, 02:18:36 PM #11 Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 04:52:53 PM by Buddy WMC
Quote from: 05FLHTC on November 08, 2008, 12:36:39 PM
Com on Buddy post the dyno & details so the rest of us can see it...please  :pop:

98.6 hp and 95.3 ft lbs of torque. Not bad for an old Evil and old guy huh?
The build was posted in the old HTT under " A different type of engine build". Took about a year to get all the parts together, build the engine and get her broken in before the dyno pulls. We know more is there, but I'm old school and refuse to change my exhausts as I like the Samson staggered duals and they sound great. My dyno guy is looking into alternatives that will work, not maybe what will work. I don't mind changing the cam if I need to as I do my own work anyways. I'm waiting on Larry's input as well.

wfolarry

That flat spot at 2200 is a combination of your exhaust & the VOES. What you're feeling is the timing change. I have a Crane HI4 in mine & with the VOES it does the same thing. Switch over to race mode & it's gone. I have a propipe on mine so I closed off a row with a hose clamp & it smoothed out the low spot. I have an S&S 6-speed. Went to Kentucky a month ago & going through the mountains never shifted out of 6th. Of course I was going over 80mph too :teeth:

Buddy WMC

Larry,

Yep, those six speeds make our older bikes a different animal, that's for sure. We are going to play around with the flat spot tomorrow. Any ideas on a staggered dual system that will work better? It's hard enough already to find a system that works with mid controls.

wfolarry

Cycle Shack are the best pipes for the money, check 'em out.

Unicorn

BTW, played with my VOES (pulled plug used my hand vac pump, set VOES to 5-6 psi vac) put silicon to plug adj area, It makes a difference