April 27, 2024, 05:12:13 PM

News:

"Reverse"rocker box shims

Started by a_disalvo, May 12, 2018, 05:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_disalvo

I have 3 rocker arms that are too tight on the shaft in the cover. i know there are shims available if they are too loose, but is there shims for the other end of the shaft to open the gap? Thanks, Frank

Mule

Work the spacer on a wet stone, take off  a few thousands.. Or try some different spacers , some of this aftermarket stuff can be way off.

a_disalvo

The rocker arm has no clearence to the cover, when it gets hot the valves are hanging up. I thought I could install a spacer shim on the drive train side of the shaft, in effect doing the opposite of what the rocker shims do. Never saw the rockers too tight, always loose until I installed new aftermarket shafts. Frank

harley_cruiser

Well can't you put a thinner shim in? I buy Shovehead shim on eBay to shim the EVO and TC rocker arms. I buy the .020 so that they do not wear out and then grind the rocker arm down so that the shims fit.
I trim the rocker arms with a stationary sanding station.

a_disalvo

There are no shims in now, and the motor is together. I'm thinking I can take the shaft out and put a .025 washer on the other end of the shaft?

jimlibo

"Work the spacer on a wet stone, take off  a few thousands.. Or try some different spacers , some of this aftermarket stuff can be way off"
best advice