May 03, 2024, 11:08:22 PM

News:

2018 Heritage check engine light

Started by Grayrider, May 13, 2018, 12:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grayrider

2018 Heritage 114. Just got a check engine light. Checked all fluid, they are good. 
Engine sounds alright. No new noises when I shut it down.
Can I check for codes on this bike?
Don't have a service manual. They don't have them yet. On back order.
Owners manual says nothing.
Would a short throw a check engine light or just mechanical issues?
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

Hossamania

Is it flashing, or steady on?
It may work like the previous models, hold the odometer reset button in while turning on the ignition, it will bring up a code screen in the odometer face, and you can scroll through by pushing the button.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Grayrider

Hossamania

Steady is always scarier. Try pulling a code the way I mentioned, hopefully someone will check in shortly with more info.

Grayrider

I did as you mentioned and there are codes. I will see if I can get them in a bit.

Hossamania

Do you have a volt meter? Check your running voltage at the battery (or on your Tender plug if easier).
I'm just offering troubleshooting advice before you have your codes read. The code read will be the first step.

Grayrider

I'm getting codes:
ECM - UO140
PN 001510-01
ABS U0001H

Coyote

What did you do recently? Unplug anything?

Grayrider

No have not unplugged anything.
I did remove Neg cable when I got the check engine thinking it couldbe a blip and would reset when I put it back. It did not
Not sure why I would get the ABS code.  Have done nothing with the wheels.
Don't know what the ECM codes mean.
I have reset all the codes and will ride it a bit tomorrow to see if they return.

Coyote

The ECM codes point to something unplugged. The BCM will see this even if the bike is off. Pulling the battery cable may cause it as well, but I'm not sure. It's best to disarm and pull the main fuse before doing anything else.
Not sure your ABS code is valid as I could not find it.

Grayrider

Coyote

OK, they are all CAN bus faults. It is not an ABS issue

MikeL

Wouldn't be easier just to take it to the dealer?? It has to be in warranty. Why wrack your brains out let the dealer and H/D worry about it. I know most dealers suck but if you buy new let them do their job they need the practice!!!

MIKE

Grayrider

Might end up doing that. They are closed Monday's here.
Like to know what is going on myself.
Get a problem on the road want to know how to determine the problem.
Not all issues mean you can't ride the bike.
If you can check codes, call a dealer determine what the codes mean you may be able to ride to them without towing!

Grayrider

Just rode it, no engine lights.
Wife reminded me I washed it Saturday
Usually very careful washing my bikes. just splash rinse water. No pressure.
First time I wash this one though.
Will see what happens next time i wash it!
Thanks

Moparnut72

I don't know about Harleys when the check engine light comes on but my truck has turned on the light a few times. If it goes through a certain number of cycles with no further malfunctions the light will go out and it will clear the codes. Quick thought why is the check engine light on our bikes shaped like a V8? Shouldn't it be a V Twin?      :potstir:
kk
"The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know." Albert Einstein

Hossamania

If it is flashing, it is a stored code that has correced itself and will go out after fifty starts. If it is steady, it is a current code, and something is wrong, low voltage, high temp, low oil pressure, etc.

Bike31

I cover my handle bar switch gear with plastic bags when washing. Yea I know they should be water resistant or proof but the only problems I've had is when they got hit with the garden hose. Same for the wire connection on the throttle body -  try to avoid direct pressure.

The codes can be cleared by holding the code selector button for a few seconds when viewing each one in that service mode - then see if they reappear on the next ride.