May 04, 2024, 12:17:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Noise in primary

Started by Sunny Jim, May 17, 2018, 06:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunny Jim

When I ever so slightly blip the throttle I get this twirking sqeeky noise from the primary area. I suspect the compensator. Oil transfer is apparent but slight. Running belray primary oil(looks like ATF). Clutch feels heavier than from new and occasionally I get a rattling metallic noise on slight decel and float.
Just putting the symptoms out there.i would appreciate your thoughts.
Cheers!

Grayrider

And bike model?
My 18' Heritage is VERY noisy. Rattles, whines and clunking when I throttle up.
Dealer Say's  'It's normal'. They say it will get better when I get more miles on it.

If this is 'Normal' Harley is in trouble!
Not impressed.
Loudest rattling primary bike I have ever had.

My 103 EG made some noise but this is way past that.
I guess turn the volume up and get louder pipes!
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

Sunny Jim

17 Roadglide. 6000 mile. It has clearly got worse over time.
My dealer selection is very limited.

Mule

Harley dealers never change! When I bought my SE deuce in 03  at less than 1500 miles the compensator came loose. I took it to the dealer and they told me they heard no abnormal noise ( it was rattling like hell) and told me to put some miles on it it would get better. A buddy of mine told me what it was, fixed under warranty at another dealer...

yobtaf103

auto tensioner not ratcheting up, slack chain
Indy guy on youtube flagged this up

klammer76

Quote from: yobtaf103 on May 17, 2018, 10:35:32 PM
I have never understood why they removed the inspection plate in the primary. I realize with the auto tensioner that they would deem it unnecessary but it would still be convenient to be able to check rather than having to drop the fluid and remove the outer primary.

1FSTRK

Quote from: klammer76 on May 18, 2018, 04:44:47 AM
Quote from: yobtaf103 on May 17, 2018, 10:35:32 PM
I have never understood why they removed the inspection plate in the primary. I realize with the auto tensioner that they would deem it unnecessary but it would still be convenient to be able to check rather than having to drop the fluid and remove the outer primary.

Simple answer $$$$$$$$
I have read of the loose chains rattling and have seen the M-8 with the chain tight as a bow string, so much for the old "we have the auto tensioner all figured out"
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Sunny Jim

fwj

My primary is whining when accelerating in 1st or 2nd gear. Gear box is also whining at decel or constant speed in 3rd and 4th gear. The bike will go now with 20k Kilometers. These noises make me sick....

Sunny Jim

My gearbox whines as well. Great looking bike, BUT!

HV

Ive seen a lot of the new M8s with excessive Gear Whine when new...its mostly from the New Balance System with square Cut Gears ..it gets better with more miles
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

happyman

Quote from: Grayrider on May 17, 2018, 01:32:01 PM
And bike model?
My 18' Heritage is VERY noisy. Rattles, whines and clunking when I throttle up.
Dealer Say's  'It's normal'. They say it will get better when I get more miles on it.

If this is 'Normal' Harley is in trouble!
Not impressed.
Loudest rattling primary bike I have ever had.

My 103 EG made some noise but this is way past that.
I guess turn the volume up and get louder pipes!
you bet it will get better it wil not run and you will get a new motor because of failure on  there part. to recognize or maybe admit  the issues .

Grayrider

The only positive might be is I have a noisy bike but I do not have sumping or fluid transfer as others have!
So far!

Sunny Jim

Primary cover off today. Everything appeared to be clean and intact.
The tensioner had not moved since its original install. The chain was sloppy.
Took a look at YouTube - M8 primary chain. Listened to a brief story on the discovery of this problem in 2017 models and the lack of chain tension. We took the tensioner up 5-6 clicks.
Reassembled primary and installed Harley's Formula oil.
Noise gone, clutch smoother, gear selection easier. All in all a successful outcome.
Thank you.

yobtaf103

VDeuce

Good news, glad it worked out. I need to get in there and weld mine one of these days.

klammer76

Quote from: Sunny Jim on May 19, 2018, 03:50:16 AM
Primary cover off today. Everything appeared to be clean and intact.
The tensioner had not moved since its original install. The chain was sloppy.
Took a look at YouTube - M8 primary chain. Listened to a brief story on the discovery of this problem in 2017 models and the lack of chain tension. We took the tensioner up 5-6 clicks.
Reassembled primary and installed Harley's Formula oil.
Noise gone, clutch smoother, gear selection easier. All in all a successful outcome.
Thank you.
Did you weld the tensioner?

Sunny Jim

We didn't weld the tensioner. I figure it has a role to play. It can't slide back. I am happy to check it down the track. I took a photo as a reference.

rbabos

Quote from: Sunny Jim on May 19, 2018, 04:55:29 PM
We didn't weld the tensioner. I figure it has a role to play. It can't slide back. I am happy to check it down the track. I took a photo as a reference.
Those tensioner block springs have been weak and lazy lazy to click into the next slot as a new chain and sprockets wear in all the way back to 2007. Standard fix is hard and off throttle with a primary up to operating temp. Usually a condtion where the rider is easy on the bike, throttle wise.  I'm surprised the dealer don't know that fix as most of them do.
Ron

BVHOG

5-6 clicks means that thing had to drooping pretty badly and likely contacting in more than one spot.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Grayrider

I read a few years ago, probably here, that to force the adjuster, you put the bike in 1st gear, motor off and rock the bike back and forth which would force the adjuster to reset and adjust the chain tension.

rbabos

Quote from: Grayrider on May 20, 2018, 08:42:46 AM
I read a few years ago, probably here, that to force the adjuster, you put the bike in 1st gear, motor off and rock the bike back and forth which would force the adjuster to reset and adjust the chain tension.
That will likely work too but don't do it with a cold primary. It might in either method make to too tight. Hot primary, it will limit the block travel, just right.
Ron

BigMo

So does that work, the rockin it back and forth? Mine isnt extremely noisey, but it does have more than I consider normal....had many Harleys....not wanting to pull primary already on a 2018
BigMo

rbabos

Quote from: BigMo on June 02, 2018, 04:59:53 AM
So does that work, the rockin it back and forth? Mine isnt extremely noisey, but it does have more than I consider normal....had many Harleys....not wanting to pull primary already on a 2018
Object is to cover both ends of chain function. Tight on bottom on decel and tight on top for accel. It's best to do the first gear hard/off the throttle but only once the primary is up to temp. Doing it on a cold primary, it could overshoot the mark. Once set hot it will be fine for eons since most wear is in the first few k and then pretty much drops off.
Ron