May 03, 2024, 11:50:06 PM

News:

Opinions on S&S 475

Started by BigMo, June 02, 2018, 04:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMo

Gathered up parts for my 2018 FLHRXS, gonna do the mods shortly. Tmax, K&N replacement, Fullsac header, Grand Nationals, Feuling oil pump/plate, and S&S 475+lifters. Some are saying the 475 is soft or not a good street cam, but I have seen dyno charts w similar equipment as Im using that looked good, and carried the torque out into the 4500 range....yes, a little less up to 2800-3000, but still looked strong. Fuelmoto says its a strong performer from testing, but others say to far to the right....
Ive already bought the damn cam, now am I gonna have poor performance with the friggin thing?   :scratch: :banghead: Shoulda gone with the Zip 468 maybe. I want a hotrod bagger, and will probably do some head work in a few years. Not interested in big bore kits really.Opinions please, 'Preciate it...
BigM
BigMo

Sunny Jim

I am grinning with the CR460. Research courtesy of Durwood.

BigMo

Well, I was looking at the CR460 back when it was first starting to be tested, but wanted something that would hold power up through 4500-5000 rpm, and that cam seemed to fall off before then.....
BigMo

LuzRD

you already bought the cam!
install it and see if you like it (use a canned map to save the dyno costs) you can revert back easy enough.

the M8 is known for being finicky with exhausts, if the grand nats are high flowing then you may get poor low end. ive read about thunder torque inserts improving the low end on an M8 with the 475 cam.

......or send the cam to me :)

DTTJGlide

Go ahead & install it I think you'll like it if you're looking for a hotrod bagger, the biggest problem is the lack of base maps for the M8, last time I looked there were only 2 listed with stage 2 cams, SE 447 & 515, Zippers did one with their RS468 not sure how helpful they'll be if not using their cam.

BigMo

Lmao LuxRD....yeah, sure, I will send it right over.....haha :hyst:
...on the Grand Nationals, they are a 4 inch muffler with 2" cores, includes what S&S is calling a decibel reducer, basically some kind of insert. I haven't had a chance to pull them apart yet. I was looking at S&S M45 slip ons, but I think they are large and more straight through, might lose torque with those, dunno....I think if I use the Zippers 468 cam map, that it will be close enough for the auto-tune section of the Tmax to be able to compensate and with several rides with target it in pretty good. Will find a dyno operator around here (east Tn) that will work with the Tmax...gotta be one somewhere.
BigMo

yobtaf103

BigMo, you are the beta tester with that combo

A few 475 in the dyno section, not a large database yet in general, most after market users have followed exact tested combos for M8

Fuelmoto used 475's/ their header/MK45's but used PV tuner

as you got a T-max yes RS468 would gain more help maybe from Zippers, seen they got a dyno chart using stock cat headers /Khrome Werks mufflers

cmashark

The 475 is a bit of a hot rod cam.  I have it with a Fuel Moto headpipe, MK45 mufflers (with dB killers), and Stealth air cleaner.  I started with a canned map, then had my local dealer tune it for me.  According to the sheet, they picked up power everywhere over the canned map. Tuned, it made 109hp and 112 tq.  The only part of the bike that feels weak is when taking off from a light.  That could just be in my head because I don't like hitting the throttle too hard when I'm setting next to someone at a light. I took the bike over to the Smoky Mountains, this week, to play and the bike performed well.  I do need to get it to a better tuner though.  At idle, the bike smells rich.  Even setting at a red light and gas mileage is down some. (36-38). The mufflers, are a bit too loud for me, so I need to find something quieter that won't destroy the performance. Maybe, I'm starting to get old 😆. I will say that the idle is awesome with this cam.
2021 FLHXSE

BigMo

Hey cmashark, you a local/neighbor over here in the mountains.....im in Kingston area, short ride from Townsend/Smokies
BigMo

cmashark

No, I'm over north of Memphis.  I go over there every summer for a week.
2021 FLHXSE

BigMo

BigMo

HD/Wrench

Well some say weak other's love it.. I guess it's what you like or should I say how you like the power to feel in a 107 it runs well as we all have seen its without a doubt a close race on so many cams .. You can over lay these on top of each other and hard to say that one is the BEST .. EX system on the M8 has been turned up a few clicks on the picky scale .  Stock head pipe decatted .  and small core mufflers work very well .  The EX system will alter the heck out of the curve as it did before today just a tad more  :wink:

Well have to go dyno tune time . Take care

Sunny Jim

So Steve, a stock pipe decatted, is n adequate performer. Do you rate the street canons?
Have you run a comparison to Fullsac or Fuelmoto?

HD/Wrench

The SE mufflers work very well and I like the Fulsac HP if you want to keep the stock look . I will leave it at that .