May 08, 2024, 04:03:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

The silence of S&S

Started by Will-Run, June 03, 2018, 02:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will-Run

When the M8 first came out , S&S is said to have bought two , right off the trailer. It's been a couple years , and we've
not heard a Peep, from them. What do you think is happening?....... M8 Crate Motor ? or ???????.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

Princess Butt

Building a replica of the M8 engine isn't a big deal.

Building and marketing an M8 engine which doesn't violate the patents HD has, well, that's going to take a bunch of lawyers and money.

My guess is big inch stroker kits. Probably in durability testing now.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

cmashark

I know they are about to release their oil pump and cam plate for the M8...
2021 FLHXSE

happyman

Quote from: Princess Butt on June 03, 2018, 03:25:50 PM

Building and marketing an M8 engine which doesn't violate the patents HD has, well, that's going to take a bunch of lawyers and money.

My guess is big inch stroker kits. Probably in durability testing now.

S&S ever build a 8 valve before  with single cam?      HD did it bout 100 years ago or so but curious if S&S has

Sunny Jim

I was hoping to see their version of piston and cylinder kits by now.

Ohio HD

Maybe they're waiting to see a reboot of the Twin Cam motor as an HD, SE motor upgrade.....     :smileo:

1FSTRK

I heard they pulled the bikes apart only to find what every HD dealer will tell you for free;
The M-8 bikes are flawless and can not be improved upon.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Will-Run

I was hoping maybe a crate M8 with cases that wouldn't sump or transfer. A motor like this wouldn't impinge on HD patents.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

1FSTRK

So you think HD patented both the sumping and the trans fluid transfer technology?  :hyst:
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rigidthumper

Well, it's said, that they do have more lawyers. than engineers. ;)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

happyman

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 03, 2018, 06:10:18 PM
Well, it's said, that they do have more lawyers. than engineers. ;)
Several  times more!

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on June 03, 2018, 06:03:30 PM
So you think HD patented both the sumping and the trans fluid transfer technology?  :hyst:
Wouldn't surprise me. Make one sump more and they'd unleash the hounds. :hyst:
Ron

SoZo

I hear cylinders are  on the way

BVHOG

The S&S rep was at my shop last month, while they can't divulge specifics they are working on cylinders and oil pump/plate setups.  They already have a great product in the lifter alignment blocks and have had gear drive as well as chain drive cams out for quite some time. Also have a really nice line of exhaust.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

joe_lyons

Heard through the grapevine that S&S is supposed to have their cam plates and oil pumps ready to go by the first week of July.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

happyman

Quote from: joe_lyons on June 08, 2018, 08:11:29 AM
Heard through the grapevine that S&S is supposed to have their cam plates and oil pumps ready to go by the first week of July.

I take it the cases on the M8 are ok? Thought I read there may be issues with positioning of the different orfices  pick and return?

Prostock

Drag has S&S cam plates/oil pumps in there system
Water Cooled #0932-0213
Oil Cooled      #0932-0214
Expected date July 9th

PoorUB

My bet we will not see any M8 engines from S&S, at least for some time. Plus I bet they don't want to build something then have to play with HD's attorneys.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

happyman

Quote from: PoorUB on June 08, 2018, 10:32:53 AM

My bet we will not see any M8 engines from S&S, at least for some time. Plus I bet they don't want to build something then have to play with HD's attorneys.
Maybe some quality cylinders and pistons??

bobrk1

I'm  in  laconia  now  went  to  the  track  S &S had a  set up last  year  didn't  have  one  yesterday  maybe  they  haven't  gotten  here  yet 

hd06myway

it'll be years before S&S can build an M8 replica due to patents...

PoorUB

Also my bet is they want to make sure the M8 is going to be around for a while. As an aftermarket supplier you sure don't want to dump a bunch of money in engineering for an engine that is around for 3-4 years.

Could you imagine the first year out S&S building 114" big bore cylinders for the 107" M8?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FLDavetrain

S&S first should work to make their current parts more reliable.
currently 510ci on tap

98fxstc

Quote from: FLDavetrain on July 31, 2018, 04:32:24 PM

I am curious
What have you had trouble with ?

FLDavetrain

Quote from: 98fxstc on July 31, 2018, 06:22:21 PM
Quote from: FLDavetrain on July 31, 2018, 04:32:24 PM

I am curious
What have you had trouble with ?

Thanks for your interest. Not uncorking those wounds here. I'll just leave it at my original statement is accurate and in my cases there was forensic proof, and at least warranties honored.
currently 510ci on tap