Hippo biuld (I know....again) but specifics.

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, May 08, 2009, 05:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I am starting to put together the components for the Hippo biuld.

Bike: 2004 softail, B motor.

Got the 570 cams. got the DTT ing, got the carb, What I am looking for is the specifics on the heads and cyclinders.

Info needed.

Head CC's ?

Prefered valves and springs and seals. Should the guides be replaced? (any brands reccomended)(avv)?

Pistons? KB hyper's?  and if so are they allready relieved for the valves?

Deck height?

Cometic .030" head gaskets ?

Any other special parts or

Any special clearences that need to be done in the cam chest or rocker boxes or anywhere else?

I am looking for the specifics as I am not using the Screaming eagle heads or the HD pistons.
I allready have a set of spare cyclinders and heads that will be sent out for the machining and rework.

Also any part numbers would be greatly appriciated!!

Thanks for the info..............

KGHOST

Member since 2004

L-

Info needed.

Head CC's ?  What ever stock is as that works on this build.

Prefered valves and springs and seals. Should the guides be replaced? (any brands reccomended)(avv)?  Leave heads alone

Pistons? KB hyper's?  and if so are they allready relieved for the valves? Harley flat top and relieved for cleanance.  KB does not need to be clearance.

Deck hieght?  Be nice to be "0" but you might have to settle for less (than zero)

Cometic .030" head gaskets ?  Yes, MLS three piece

Any other special parts or

Any special clearences that need to be done in the cam chest or rocker boxes or anywhere else?  I had to clearance cut my cam chest but that was on my '01.

I am looking for the specifics as I am not using the Screaming eagle heads or the HD pistons.
I allready have a set of spare cyclinders and heads that will be sent out for the machining and rework.

Also any part numbers would be greatly appriciated!!

Thanks for the info..............

Admiral Akbar

You guys are probably missing the point of the hippo build.

stage 1 build +
Se pistons flattop,  95, (I would assume relieved)
Se heads,
570 cam,
DTT or PCIII
cometic 0.030 hg (not sure on this one)

Toss together and run..

Nothing else special. If so you are spending too much time dickin' around with it..

Max

hardyheadscom

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on May 08, 2009, 07:06:28 AM

stage 1 build +
Se heads,
570 cam,
DTT or PCIII

Toss together and run..

Nothing else special. If so you are spending too much time dickin' around with it..

Max

DTT or PCIII..................thought he had a carb??
hardy heads the best...boy I guess

L-

Guess I wasn't clear on the heads as I thought he was going to use the SE heads and they don't require any special work to make this package run. They run about 76 to 80cc from what I have been told but true, it is an easy, reliable and result getting, low cost package. Don't forget to get a good exhaust system.

L-

apendejo

Quote from: hardyheadscom on May 08, 2009, 07:31:53 AM
Quote from: MaxHeadflow on May 08, 2009, 07:06:28 AM

stage 1 build +
Se heads,
570 cam,
DTT or PCIII

Toss together and run..

Max

DTT or PCIII..................thought he had a carb??

Mo' betta' yet :teeth:
AP

Admiral Akbar

QuoteDTT or PCIII..................thought he had a carb??

I was talking generically..  :smile:
Guess I wasn't clear on the heads as I thought he was going to use the SE heads and they don't require any special work to make this package run.

I guess I wasn't clear. No special work, out of the box onto the cylinders.. Max

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I fully understand the intent of the Hippo biuld.

I am NOT buying SE heads or Cylinders.

I allready have an extra set of stock 88 cyl and heads, (low low milage) I purchased 4 years ago anticipating a biuld one of these days.

Well One of these days is about to occur!

I spoke with Phub1 (Don) briefly on the phone but I was unable to get the great specifics he mentioned and I did not want to call back and waste his time talking on the phone.

I absolutley want all my ducks in order when I do this.

So to repeat my original question,

what I am looking for is and what I am going to do....

Heads, They will be ported, I would like a reccomendation on Valves and springs and anything else one would suggest.

Cyl, they will be bored for the 95 inch motor.

If anyone knows the KB Hypers part number that would be great!

What is the MLF gaskets?

Again I am looking for specific details as I want to have evrything written down so no Stone gets left unturned.

Just my approach..........

Thanks

Member since 2004

L-

Gaskets.... MLS is multi layered steel.  Three pieces of stainless steel that Cometic makes in different thickness head gaskets.

As far as porting the stock heads and using different size valves I cannot help you there as you will not see any benefit until about 5000 rpm doing that.  However the important thing is to get the chambers around 78 cc so the compression gives you what you expect out of this build with that cam.  So, cc the heads, mill the heads, cc again and everything should calculate out real well.

L-

Scurvy

K- dunno where you live but I used AMS down in ft. worth for my KB flatops and cylinder boring. Their pkg includes everything you need to bolt on 96", they fit the pistons to the cylinders, and their price on the gasket kit was reasonable, including the cometic .030 head gaskets. Like someone said, the KB flatops do not require any additional valve relief for the SE heads, I have no clue on others, but if it was me I would check clearance anyways.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Admiral Akbar

If you aren't using SE heads, having someone port some heads for you but already have the 570s, have the porter set the heads up for the cams and forget about what a hippo build is..

That's like me sayin' "yeah, I did a Hippo build but instead of the 570 cams I used SnS 640s, instead of SE pistons I used RP pistons and cylinders, instead SE heads I used RP, instead of....    ... the bike runs real good. make way over 130/130... I love my Hippo Build.."  :gob:  Max

Clanman

The Hippo build is great.  It might not be as cheap as you desire, if you get to shopping.  I went with Feuling pump, cam plate, lifters and push rods.  I had the SE heads re-worked to flow a bit better and also put a D & D Low cat on it.  I did have to make some room for the 570s in the cam chest, and inside the rocker box and for valve relief on the SE flat tops.  I already had a Crane Hi4TC and Mikuni.  The Mikuni is easier to play with and get set up than the Crane.  Any other Hippos Builds using the Crane?  What settings work for you?

It runs very strong and I have had neck and shoulder problems since I got it put together.  Hang on tight seems to be the theme of the day......!!! wooohooo

Clan man
Harley Davidson - Originally built by a Scotsman!

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Thanks for your posts and OPINIONS

As I said

I purchased hardly used 88 stock heads and cylinders in 2004 with the expectation of a 95 inch biuld. $300 for all. It has taken a few years longer than anticipated.

I fully understand the intent of the original biuld and the parts selected. I am not interested in buying additional parts that I have allready purchased. Yes I know I could sell mine but I am ok with my plan.

For me I am going to USE the stuff I allready have and all I am interested in is other specifics related to pistons (brands, etc.), deck height, valve size, springs, guides, seals, gaskets, additoinal clearences and things of that nature.

Besides why cant one take a known great combo and make it equal or better with differnt components?

I just want a specific list from those who know what is needed.

I could just as easily send my heads and cyl. to DON or any number of reputable shops including R&R in NH near me or my local indy if I wanted to and I may just do that but I was hoping for the specs for my own reasons from the great souces on this site. I like knowing what is going to be done before it is done.

That is what I am after.

If it were not for the prices I have paid at this point for some of the parts I allready have purchased I could go in many different directions but I think I am ahead of the game $$$ wise so far.

Also I am not just slapping this together, I will have the timken conversion done and the crank trued and welded. so I am going at it, at least I think so, the right way.

Kghost
Member since 2004

Ghost Rider

Hippo build uses cast SE flat tops for pistons.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Member since 2004

Ridetard

ClassicRider2002

May 12, 2009, 07:19:51 AM #16 Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:31:14 AM by ClassicRider2002
Re: Hippo biuld (I know....again) but specifics.
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 04:57:38 PM

Besides why cant one take a known great combo and make it equal or better with differnt components?

KGHOST~~

I realize that one doesn't always find what they are interested in when going back through old posts.....but I believe most if not all of your questions that you have about the "HIPPO BUILD" will be found within the 2 THREADS I have attached below.....in fact there isn't probably too much more that could be said about the HIPPO BUILD.....lol.....this will probably effectively kill your THREAD.....LOL!!!!

As you will learn I was a fairly POPULAR person during this THREAD..... :hyst:

As for taking a "known great combo" as you stated above and making it equal or better with different components....lol of course you can do this.....but Max's point is then it's Not a HIPPO BUILD......lol....it becomes a "KGHOST BUILD" which there is nothing wrong with that......

I basically came out and said the HIPPO BUILD SUCKED at the time of the THREADS below.....but as you will read.....lol I too didn't specifically have the "HIPPO BUILD" the only thing I had similar to the "HIPPO BUILD" was of course the S&S 570 cams....so if you want to run the HIPPO BUILD as HIPPO DISCUSSED which has become known as the HIPPO BUILD within the THREADS below you should find the answers you are looking for.....in the midst of all of the hurling you will indeed discover exactly what the HIPPO BUILD IS for parts straight from "HIPPO'S type set.....lol.....

I wasn't attacking "HIPPO" I have a great amount of respect for him....he has definitely helped me out through the years.....but I will say that one can reach as good of results with a lower lift cam....it all depends on your riding style.....and what you are desiring to accomplish.....for me getting rid of the S&S 570 cams was a good choice.....my only words of caution to you would to be to make sure you don't take your static compression over 10.0:1 or you could have issues......

So read through the THREADS below I am sure you will get some help here.....along with the great help you have already received, and if you don't get the help you need perhaps you will enjoy me getting flamed....LOL....it's all good!!!!!

As for me after redoing my build from a S&S 570 cam I have discovered that I am quite happy as I headed in a different direction....but regardless this is the stage to ask your questions.....it's cheap now......once you start wrenching it becomes more expesnsive......

And by the way you are right you can take those cylinders and heads to a porter of your choice and have them worked very nicely to what you desire.....the reason that many went with SE heads for the HIPPO build is they come already milled to a certain height but you can get to the same point if you so desire.....make sure you spend some time at CLICK HERE: TWIN CAM DISPLACEMENT CALCULATOR to learn a bit about "corrected" vs "static" compression and how it's important to your build.....you might also spend some time reading here at this "THREAD" ie: CLICK HERE which should help you with some general ideas about what you might find helpful with what some writers have to say about such things as "corrected compression", cam intake close angles, torque vs hp, etc......

At a bear minimum while you have the heads off should you continue with the S&S 570's which I am sure you will you will want to have some Head work done such as CCing your heads....changing valve springs, and having some mild porting done as well....or at least I would if you are going to the trouble of such a detailed build.....

If you need a recommendation for a head porter.....send me a private message and I will throw one your way.....

Anyway here are the TWO THREADS I MENTIONED ABOVE:

1.  HIPPO BUILD MARCH 27th 2009
2.  HIPPO BUILD EXTRAS MARCH 29TH 2009

I wish you well with your build.....

Regards,

"Classic"

HERE IS ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE HIPPO BUILD:

CLICK HERE
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

ClassicRider2002

KGHOST~~

Oh....and I agree with you.....I took a "known" great combo.......and I ran in a different direction, I did make it equal to or better with different components....For Me......lol...it's called the Joe Minton Build with a "Twist"  lol.....I have BCG Heads milled to 84 cc's.  The point is unless you do exactly as someone says you become your own R&D and your results will vary depending upon your decisions.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Don D

There is no need for a lot of high end headwork. The theme was KISS.
The exhaust port needs a little different treatment if that cam is used nothing special or exotic.
Valves replaced, 1.900 intake

dakota224

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

OK

Thanks to all

we can close this discussion now

The links are what I needed.

Unfortunatly I was off the site for several months doing other things and missed some important         :duel:

I will read over the links and take my notes.
Thanks again.

And for the record I will stick with the 570's and hope for the best.  If it falls on its face then I will have no one else to blame but the "OWNER".........(ME)!
Member since 2004

86fxwg

I just did this build for a buddy,SE compressor heads shipped to his door $430.00 new in box already @ 76 cc's.
Not worth the cost if a porter for that price.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 86fxwg on May 01, 2015, 04:55:23 AM
I just did this build for a buddy,SE compressor heads shipped to his door $430.00 new in box already @ 76 cc's.

You know that the compressor heads are not much more than stock 06 up heads that have been milled and better valve springs.. They intakes don't flow as well as the early SE heads and while they flow as well on the exhaust port (still a stock 06 up ex port), the exhaust doesn't have an anti-reversion step that helps the 570 on the low end. Will have a big mid range tq peak tho..

86fxwg

May 01, 2015, 12:31:01 PM #23 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:49:16 PM by 86fxwg
Quote from: Max Headflow on May 01, 2015, 07:35:50 AM
Quote from: 86fxwg on May 01, 2015, 04:55:23 AM

You know that the compressor heads are not much more than stock 06 up heads that have been milled and better valve springs.. They intakes don't flow as well as the early SE heads and while they flow as well on the exhaust port (still a stock 06 up ex port), the exhaust doesn't have an anti-reversion step that helps the 570 on the low end. Will have a big mid range tq peak tho..

Ya max,but for $430.00 already done,can't beat the price,talk to a couple porters at the show to take old heads & rework we would have about $230.00 more dollars.
Done 3 of these 4th Jason is tuning now NO complaints.
Plus this one he's tuning now is an 05 w/crap heads.
Remember the 103 I did w/570's that guys extatic & that's all that counts. :wink:
When its done I'll have Jason post in dyno.
I know this aint ur favorite flavor but in the flat lands of the Midwest it works.
We will see.

Add
coudnt find the old SE heads,actually I guess all I've used & thought they were the old self heads.
Again there all happy & think there the fastest thing in town.  :nix:
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

PoorUB

Kghost, you probably got the idea already, but what Max is trying to say is if you don't follow the recipe for chocolate cookies and put in peanuts in instead of chocolate chips, what do you have? It sure isn't a Hippo build, close, but not quite.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!