May 04, 2024, 12:43:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Smart Tune Pro

Started by wiliturk, June 10, 2018, 05:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiliturk

Anybody have any experience with the Harley Smart Tune Pro?

happyman

Quote from: wiliturk on June 10, 2018, 05:49:27 PM
Anybody have any experience with the Harley Smart Tune Pro?
looks like no one uses the Pro.

rigidthumper

Do you have a specific question?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

Keep in mind any tuning devices sold by Harley have to be EPA compliant. You will be restricted to calibrations that meet EPA. If you want more flexibility to tune outside of the EPA strangle hold buy a TTS, Power Vision or T-max.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Barrett

Find a good local tuner and see what device they will tune. I have a T Max and like it but going for every last pony will require a dyno and Nobody near me tunes with them.
I like the options with the power vision..

1FSTRK

Here is some info
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=100984.msg1185116#msg1185116

The PV license will be easier to find a dyno shop for and will give much better bang for the buck.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

wiliturk

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 11, 2018, 10:19:26 AM
Do you have a specific question?

A local dealer offered me a deal on one if I'd try it. He has one in stock and no one has ever inquired about it. If I understand correctly it should make adjustments to the point a dyno tune would be unnecessary, we talked about it and he thought it should compensate for any modifications genuine Harley or not. Is this true? I understand it will not go beyond EPA limits but if it works you wouldn't have to dyno tune for each modification, correct? Has anyone ever tested one before and after on a dyno just to see if it works?

Quote from: Barrett on June 11, 2018, 02:06:40 PM
Find a good local tuner and see what device they will tune. I have a T Max and like it but going for every last pony will require a dyno and Nobody near me tunes with them.
I like the options with the power vision..
I would have to go out of my local area to find someone.
Quote from: 1FSTRK on June 11, 2018, 03:00:53 PM
Here is some info
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=100984.msg1185116#msg1185116

The PV license will be easier to find a dyno shop for and will give much better bang for the buck.
I read your link. I get that a good tune will even help a SEPST, but will the Smart Tune Pro do that itself?
One area dealer who does dyno tune with power vision license discouraged me from that route and told me all I needed was the SEPST and the canned stage one map. No additional tune needed, that kinda surprised me they didn't want the business.

PoorUB

Quote from: wiliturk on June 12, 2018, 07:01:44 PM
One area dealer who does dyno tune with power vision license discouraged me from that route and told me all I needed was the SEPST and the canned stage one map. No additional tune needed, that kinda surprised me they didn't want the business.

He doesn't sound like a skilled tuner to me. They are pushing you off on the easy way out for them. Dropping in a canned map takes a few minutes versus hours for a proper tune. Plus the canned maps really don't fit the builds like they want you to believe.  Just ask anyone that tunes here how a stage one map really work out compared to a real tune. Heck, even a stock bike can benefit from a proper tune.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

If you have a dealer install only HD/EPA approved components, and wish to be in compliance for warranty purposes, use of the SE Street Pro Tuner and SE Smart Tune Pro Automatic tuning module will keep your warranty coverage, if installed IAW their rules.  They have been reported to have set check engine lights that the MOCO can't figure out, and subsequently removed.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

bobrk1

Sounds  like  what  local  shop has,said  it corrects 80 times a second  works  with  cam and  exhaust  and  air  cleaner  change , I  went  with  a  tune  I  know  and  trust  dyno guy would  be  wondering  if  the  plug  in  was working  right .

HV

Ok Ive been waiting to see what others said on this topic ...now my Take on it.....We have installed 3 Smart Tune Pro Systems so far.....ALL 3 had been run for over 2 months wile the ST Tuned.....2 of the Customers complained of Flat spots at low Speeds off Idle...almost a Bogging situation.....We brought both back in and Did a Road Smart tune ( as we do with all Canned maps ) ...Both are completely new Bikes now with much better bottom end response...we also do something most other shops do not to with the HD Smart tuning ...we Blend the Maps after a few on the road data gathering runs ....  From now on we will be doing this even with the Pro Smart tune units...

We do not have a Dyno...but this shows that if even using the auto tuning Smart Tune pro they could work much better with a dyno tune ..... then with a Basic Canned Map and relying on the  HD Auto tune to tune it all by itself
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT