Switching to LSR 2" exhaust, TCFI PC Link attached

Started by -SeabrookTrickBagger, May 08, 2009, 09:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-SeabrookTrickBagger

May 08, 2009, 09:25:38 AM Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:46:53 PM by -SeabrookTrickBagger
Well, it is about time I upgraded the Bassani power curve, large core baffle, exhaust to the LSR exhaust.  With a 4.25" bore motor and 57 Kuryakyn TB, I need 2" pipes.  I will log my DTT TCFI WEGOIId data before switching the pipes, then tune it with the new pipes and log that tune.   Hopefully, I will be able to correlate the data and post the changes between the two maps (Alpha N and front trim table) so those who are interested will have some sort of idea how this exhaust switch affected the tune.  Maybe in 2 or 3 weeks..........  .
Seabrook

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Hopefully, the LSR pipes are on the way.

I got the current map on my engine tuned to the extent that if I ride it under most any condition, the BLM registers very little activity.  Most activity is 99 or 101 and only in about 15 cells.  So, I ignore those and tuned the 3 or 4 cells that registered 105 or so.  After a few years of tuning this map, it is a perfect as I can get it.  Changing spark plugs for fresh ones might get me working on the map again ;-)

It even has been tuned at WOT up to 6000 rpms and from 6500 to 7000 rpms, I can manually smooth to the rich side.  Of course, those are in 5th gear and not 6th gear WOT runs since I don't see the point in a 6th gear (Baker DD6) WOT tune especially considering the bike and rider are over 1000 lbs. and anything above 130 mph on a RKC sitting straight up causes a bit of a pucker factor beyond usefulness --- plus my feet tend to slide off the floorboards at that speed.

Hopefully, I will get the total map and timing numbers and other charts posted next week since I hope to be tuning the LSR pipes next week.

The only weak spot on the map for others will be the idle and off idle Alpha N numbers since my calculated air density is below sea level.  I doubt many riders on this forum will get higher air density numbers that what I get, so the numbers are probably rich for other altitudes.

Seabrook

-SeabrookTrickBagger

May 27, 2009, 06:02:56 PM #2 Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:14:18 PM by -SeabrookTrickBagger

If this attaches, it is the DTT TCFI IId .dat file using TCFI version 10.0 also known as version 10.0.5

To use it, open your TCFI program after downloading the attachment to your desktop, for example, and then open that downloaded file in the TCFI program.

It is a .dat file for a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio engine with single spark plug per cylinder and a 4.25" bore and SnS heads.  The rest of the necessary parameters, except for these, are found in "Parameters" or "Advanced Parameters" including but not limited to injector size/flow rate.  The hardest thing to determine is the initial advance and the advance slope since the DTT does not tell you, except in the graph, which one you are using.  I can tell you that the ignition advance used on this map is quite high, so you might use your own advance to start out with, such as 0 initial and 1 slope, and then creep up on your best advance numbers.  If you use the advance in this map, you could blow a hole in a piston since this map is used with forged pistons, SnS heads and an Andrews 67G cam as well as a six speed Baker DD6.  If you look at this advance graph you will see some advance numbers in the 40s which is obviously quite high.

This map was developed over a two year period and is also tuned up to 6k rpms at WOT but not beyond that however the numbers after 6k should actually be lower than the 6k alpha n number because power and torque drop after 6k rpms with the 67G cam advanced two degrees with the Wood offset key.

Finally, the Throttle Body is a Kuryakyn 57mm with the touring spacer between the TB and manifold using the smaller diameter Kuryakyn manifold and a Bassani power curve dual exhaust with large core baffles and hardly any fiberglass packing run in a Road King Classic (as in really heavy bike).

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Seabrook

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Got the LSR 2-1 2" pipes in.  Gorgeous pipes. Thanks Allan, you are a "stand up" Texan.

The welds on those pipes are outstanding.  Much to my surprise, the pipes are fully chromed, too.  The heat shields are a solid piece of art.  FWIW, the area past the collector has a "baffle" in it.  Basically, it looks like a louvered metal barrel/cone which barely, if at all, intrudes into the can.

Fortunately the City Manager just bought an Ultra after I told him I could not hear his Honda...... so maybe I can talk my way out of any noise tickets if he is riding with me.

Soon, I will post the new map of this set up.  All I am changing is the pipes from the Bassani Power Curve duals to this system.

BTW, current or former military veterans get a 10% discount from RB Racing --- just let him know.
Seabrook

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Well, I am working on the new map.  Not much changing going on in the BLM, but it is adding fuel in the power band -- just a tad -- maybe 7% or so.

The immediate thing I noticed after putting on the pipes was the idle: it got really smooth and you could see that the engine was not rocking much and was very steady.  So, I have been working on a very fine tuning of the idle cells, especially the front trim table.  It seems the front cylinder at idle is nearly 20% richer than the back cylinder and the BLM is removing fuel which suggests it is not an intake leak or exhaust leak since both would tend to lean the O2 sensor read which would cause the BLM to add fuel.  Not sure what is going on with this situation.  I was only able to see this situation when I put on the 2-1 exhaust which steadied the idle enough to work on a very fine tune of the idle circuit.

Finally, I backed the advance down from 3 initial and 4 slope (DTT graph) to 2 initial and 1 slope.  It is under-advanced at that level, so I will increase the slope to 2 and see what happens.  The 3 and 4 was a bit high for hot weather riding and corn sqeezin' fuel ............  gonna change the spark plugs too and then finish the tune, maybe by next week.  I will post it then.
Seabrook

-SeabrookTrickBagger

June 16, 2009, 06:52:22 AM #5 Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:56:51 AM by -SeabrookTrickBagger
Still working on getting an acceptable ignition advance on the new pipes.  It is going well and I am taking it slowly.

The tuning of the TCFI IId system with 2 into 1 pipes is about 30% easier than with my former dual exhaust set up.  Even the idle circuits will automatically tune much better than they would automatically tune with the dual exhaust set up.

At this point, I highly recommend a 2 into 1 exhaust set up for the DTT TCFI IId fuel injection system as opposed to a dual exhaust set up like I used in the past. Tuning, across the board, is just that much easier.

This is the second time I have tuned the DTT TCFI IId EFI system with 2 into 1 pipes.  The first had Burns "racing" pipes.  It tuned easily too once we got the starting EFI circuit under control.
Seabrook

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Looks like the 2 initial and 2 slope advance map induces some ping during low rpm high speed roll ons.  So, I am working it down to 2 initial and 1 slope to see if the ping vanishes.  If so, I will start to build the custom map from that map by increasing the initial advance to 30 btdc at 13-16 HG at 1000 to 1250 rpms and increasing the WOT advance while leaving the roll on area alone ---- and see how it goes.  I expect to have the new EFI map posted in a couple of weeks.  It is scorching hot here, so that limits riding time and increases adverse conditions as far as advance tuning is concerned.
Seabrook

Airglider

Leonard,

At least all you have to deal with is heat. :hyst:

We have had rain 14 days this month. :sink:

Good luck with the tune.

Karl
Loud Lights Save Lives!

-SeabrookTrickBagger

True.

Noah's flood or hell, take your pick.

Check out what Chris Schroeder had to say on my fine tuning post.  Interesting concept to this journeyman.

Leonard
Seabrook

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Pretty much got the advance under control.  Ended up with a 2 initial, 1 slope and manual adjustments in the 16 HG row to 30 degrees at 1000 rpms.  I might take that number down a bit to 27 and go to 30 at 1250 rpms since it seemed starting was a bit harder on a short hot soak, like 5 minutes or so.  Or I might up the 500 or 750s cell a few degrees and see if it starts easier since the starter with the 66 tooth ring gear and Baker compensator gears spins a bit slower than stock.  We shall see, and later I will do the WOT to see if the engine will pull or not after 115 mph in 6th gear (1 to 1 final).  Hopefully I can have that finished this weekend and post the map for the LSR pipes.
Seabrook

-SeabrookTrickBagger

June 25, 2009, 08:12:06 AM #10 Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:16:13 AM by -SeabrookTrickBagger
Karl,

Check out this link on ignition advance.  It has an interactive GUI.  Also, click on the link on that page at the bottom:  Lod [sic] Mapping.  It too has an interactive GUI.

http://www.gill.co.uk/products/digital_ignition/Introduction/9_ign_advance.asp

This explains the relationship between fuel mixture and advance.

If you want to understand why you want peak cylinder pressure to span after TDC, look at this link:

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=235

L.
Seabrook

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Karl,

You might want to save this thread page because in a few days I will delete the general discussion links and just post the map.  I will drop my advance down a bit at WOT and see how that works as far as getting the cylinder pressure peak to overlap TDC.  It seems that 18 degrees or so at WOT might be the hot ticket as far a theoretical calculations go at my 13.3 AFR at WOT:  less advance for a richer mixture.  I am running 26 degrees at WOT right now and it is sluggish at the top end, above 115 mph.

L
Seabrook