April 27, 2024, 08:11:39 AM

News:

Starter Issues

Started by 2016CTRoadGlide, June 26, 2018, 08:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2016CTRoadGlide

The bike had a hiccup yesterday.  Rode fine but after stopping briefly, would not restart.  Everything looked fine but when I hit the starter nothing.  I turned off the bike for 15 seconds and now it is fine.  Threw a BCM Code b2124 (starter output overloaded).  Taking it to dealer tomorrow but was curious if there were any thoughts.  2017 RGS 21,000 miles.  Stage 1 SE.  Thanks in advance. 

2016CTRoadGlide

Took it to the dealer.  Unfortunately, since they could not repeat the issue, I was sent on my way.  They said the code (BCM B2124) does not leave a trail of issues once you restart the bike (my interpretation).   :scratch: 

Rusty Steel

Yes sir, I know how you feel. I keep getting an 0505  code.. 'idle unstable' then it goes away.. ride on. :gob:
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

2016CTRoadGlide

Operator error.  I was able to reproduce the problem.  If you hit start before the system has cycled, everything stops.  Even if you hit the start button again.  If you turn off the bike, wait 10 seconds and then turn it on again it works fine.   :rtfb:

Hossamania

So with the earlier FI bikes, we had to wait for the pump to cycle before hitting the starter button, then with the next generation FI we did not have to wait and could hit the starter right away, and now with this latest generation, we have to wait again?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

Quote from: Hossamania on July 16, 2018, 07:31:20 AM
So with the earlier FI bikes, we had to wait for the pump to cycle before hitting the starter button, then with the next generation FI we did not have to wait and could hit the starter right away, and now with this latest generation, we have to wait again?

I had a'05, a '10 and now a '16, never waited for the fuel pump to cycle off before starting. Old wive's tail as far as I can tell.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on July 16, 2018, 09:35:07 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on July 16, 2018, 07:31:20 AM

I had a'05, a '10 and now a '16, never waited for the fuel pump to cycle off before starting. Old wive's tail as far as I can tell.
Or and internet myth. Waiting for the light to go out shouldn't be an issue. That's only a diagnostic process happening. With the M8, maybe you can't get around it now and need to wait for the diagnostic to finish before it will start?
Ron

Geezer_Glider

2017 E Glide Ultra can hit the starter at key on or wait, works any which way you please. Same with the older Dephi bikes, had several. 22K miles on the 2017.
Just saying,
R Meyer

Hossamania

How about the MM bikes? The dealer in '01 told my friend to wait for the light.

PoorUB

Quote from: Hossamania on July 16, 2018, 10:08:01 AM

I have been told by the dealer to wait for each HD, but nobody knows why. I'm going with B.S.

rbabos

It's even dumber then Delphi. Don't see it being an issue. Dealers say a lot of things , as you know. Hell, I even had a factory trained tech tell me my v rod had roller bearings.  :hyst:
Ron

2016CTRoadGlide

If the consensus is that it should start before cycling then maybe there is an issue with my bike.  Putting on new tires this Thursday so I will ask the dealer to check it out.  Thanks for all of the input!   :chop:

motorhogman

I was told that same thing by the tech that went over my 2001 when I picked it up new.  It's carb'd. 

#1 turn Ignition on
# 2  start / stop switch on
#3 wait for security and eng lite to go out
#4 push starter button

I always hear a little "buzz" noise when I turn the ignition on from under the fairing..Never bothered to find out what it is.

Turning engine off:

#1 start / stop switch
# 2 ignition off

I have been doing it this way for just about 18 years..

Knock on wood never had any problems with codes other than 1 time when the speed sensor gave up.

I don't know if this procedure makes a bit of difference.. But after 18 years I know it doesn't hurt anything..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

PoorUB

I know I have had other riders give me crap if  start the engine to soon after turning on the ignition.

Them, "You are supposed to wait until the light goes out!

Me, "Why?"

Them, "I donno, somebody told me it would screw up something!"

Me, "Screw up what"

Them. "I donno!"

Me, I donno either, but I never worried about it and three Harleys and 160,000 miles later I have not had any issues."

Until someone can give me an absolute reason why I need to wait to hit the starter, Not what they heard or read somewhere, I am not going to worry about it. Show me the Harley bible that says wait. I usually wait, maybe not until the light goes out, but maybe turn on the bike, pull on my gloves then hit it. Often it I am in a hurry tun on the switch, and hit it.

CndUltra88

There have been times when I have turned the ignition on the FI 02 Ultra and not waited for the light and diagnostics to run completley.
Far as I could tell she ran rich for a few moments on a higher idle and all....
In the early spring months and later in the fall months if I tried it the bike would complain,but then trying to hit the start button was no big deal cause the light was on and off by the time I cooled my jets for an early ride.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

K4FXD

Yea, what the hell is that buzzing noise?  :scratch:
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

Hossamania

Quote from: K4FXD on August 03, 2018, 05:57:42 PM

The fuel pump pressurizing?

Rusty Steel

Well, after reading through this thread, I went out to the garage and turned the key and hit the button instantly...Vroooom. Case solved...At least for me. Have a great night!
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on August 03, 2018, 07:26:22 PM

Could be for some.. But I don't have a fuel pump...

Hossamania

Quote from: motorhogman on August 04, 2018, 06:35:43 AM

I don't either, and I hear a slight buzz when I turn the kill switch on, must be some electronic doodad cycling. I believe that is the official term, doodad.

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on August 04, 2018, 06:38:28 AM
Quote from: motorhogman on August 04, 2018, 06:35:43 AM

I don't either, and I hear a slight buzz when I turn the kill switch on, must be some electronic doodad cycling. I believe that is the official term, doodad.

Yea... Must be one of them thar electronical doodads..  It ain't coming from the muffler bearing area for sure.. I'm going out for a short ride in a few minutes..I'll listen extra close with my "Cant  hear shyt hearing"   

I know what to do..Stop by the dealer and have one of their experts listen to it... Wonder what they would say it is...   

Hossamania

I figured out the buzz is the speedometer energizing.

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on August 04, 2018, 11:05:38 PM
I figured out the buzz is the speedometer energizing.

OK   I'll have to put my ear on mine when I go out this morning..

Karl H.

The only reason for starting after the engine light goes out might be the focused observation whether it goes out after 4 seconds or not. If not there is a trouble code stored and action required.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

PoorUB

Quote from: Karl H. on August 05, 2018, 07:20:19 AM
The only reason for starting after the engine light goes out might be the focused observation whether it goes out after 4 seconds or not. If not there is a trouble code stored and action required.

Karl

The engine light will stay on if there is an issue, so this doesn't make any difference either.