Last nights job:

2008 FLHR
HD 103 kit , barrels, pistons
Cometic .040 head gasket
Andrews 26 cam
SE Adj P-rods
Ness BS aircleaner
V&H Duals w/ Classic Slip ons
PC III USB - loaded canned map M818-058 , its for a SE255 but close enough to start

Made 2 easy Dyno passes for a AFR check, no HP or TQ numbers, one pass for Front & Rear exhaust. Then the Dyno broke, the electronic data system shut down and no AFR data is available, its an older DJ Dyno. It will be at least a week before it can be repaired. So I need to tune it manually w/ a laptop

Heres the AFR details .... Front & Rear Cyl's are real close

RPM  -  AFR
2000  - 14.5
2500  - 15.0
2750  - 15.3
3000  - 15.1
3250  - 14.7
3500  - 14.0
3750  - 13.5
4000  - 13.2
4250  - 13.0

I made a educated guess & added 7% fuel to the 10-60% throttle for RPMs 2000-3500 to get the AFR lower.
Test ride was 20 miles, it pulled real nice & seemed to be ok, but it was a cool night so the motor really didn't get hot enough to check for any ping issues. No oil temp gauge on the bike.

Question is:
Was the additional 7% enough to get it close to 14 AFR ?
Would 10, 12 or 15% more fuel over the base map be better ?

Theres a run here on Sunday , it will be 80 degs & the pinging will start...

Any & All comments are very much welcomed

1997bagger

I've played with a Wego system for the PC3 on my bike and each 1 number added to the map lowers the AFR 1 number so you should be able to get it close with your posted numbers.
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?

FLTRI

Quote from: FastAire on May 09, 2009, 09:32:08 AM
Question is:
Was the additional 7% enough to get it close to 14 AFR ?
Sure, may even want to use 10-12% to be safe.

QuoteTheres a run here on Sunday , it will be 80 degs & the pinging will start...
Why would pinging start? Timing too far advanced or just too lean?

At the risk of sounding like a smart azz, why do you really care what the AFR is @ WOT? Will the rider be running @ WOT?
I believe the concern s/b what the AFR is everywhere but WOT as that will be where the bike will be ridden, especially during break-in, right?

Unfortunately what the AFR is @ WOT isn't normally what it will be anywhere else, especially under 80% t/p.
FWIW, the most fuel demand is usually @ the highest torque area(s) (like 2500-3500 @ 20-40% t/p) which will require the most fuel.

I wish I could tell you based on WOT AFR what the rest of the mapping should be but way too many variables that affect what and where the fuel is needed to second guess.
As always, JMHO, Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

JimB

Since I didnt get an answer for the Sunday ride, I changed the amount of fuel from 7 to 10% - 2500-3500 rpm
My friend said it ran fine on Sunday with only min of ping with acceleration with outside temps around 82F

Initially, I didnt do a WOT dyno pull, just "rode it" on the dyno a few times to get it hot, do a quick break in, check for leaks & such & get a base AFR reading. Im one that never does a WOT on a new build & this process is just my way of doing things.

The original idea was to get it close, have him ride it all day Sat then re-dyno it on Sat night. But with a broke dyno, I had to guess. I just wanted the AFR to get it closer to where it should be.

Thanks