1986-89 Sportster Clutch Basket Charging System Failure: Tips to Prevent

Started by flhs90, May 09, 2009, 11:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Sportsters:

We are learning about the 1986-89 Sportster idiosyncracies (sp?)

At 23,000 miles we know that we are to keep an eye on both primary and drive chain tightness specs.
We have the FSM and tools.
If the clutch bearings become too loose or the chain(s) are too tight then that can take out the magnets on the inside of the clutch hub. The tolerances in there are tight, something like .06 or .006 and it is just not one of Harleys's better designs.

Any tips that we can do to keep the bike from costing us needles repairs would be appreciated.

Bike has had Redline 75w-90 GL-5 trans fluid in the primary since new. Changed every 2500 miles.

So what should we expect to keep everything up to snuff.

Thanks, Dave
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

hogpipes1

When the hub bearing gets loose it's to late. if my bike i'd change bearing 25-30k. that's  my labor. the oil changes are good , keep that iron junk off the mags  in the shell so they don't short out the stator.the other items you got covered. bad bad design. cycle electric  has a new style set up for these bikes. not cheap.

andyxlh

Hello mate
What is that cycle electric alternative system you mention? sounds good, but I've never heard of it...... probably being in 'the land down under' might be the reason??
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

hogpipes1

ck with the co. on there web site . i read about it in american iron mag xl section couple Mo's back. a rider  had the trouble with his 89 xl, stator bearing etc.