May 08, 2024, 01:29:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Howdy from Austin, TX!

Started by feelthaflo, July 16, 2018, 04:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feelthaflo

Hi folks, just wanted to drop in and introduce myself.  I just started riding last year and got my first bike, a 2017 FXDB Dyna Street Bob.  Of course I had no idea I had wound up with the fabled "last year of the Dyna", but it's a great bike, and has been getting better and better with some select modifications.

Off the floor, the Street Bob was all stock except for some distressed leather HD bags and the required tail light/turn signal relocation kits.  I had them add an engine guard for the inevitable parking lot drop (came in handy once so far).  Within 2 weeks, it was obvious that new grips and seat were needed for rides over about 20 minutes, and of course the wife wanted to ride along so I had to add passenger pegs along with a 2-up seat.  The seat put me further forward so I then installed the "further forward" mid controls to compensate, along with some more comfortable pegs.

Along the way I did try the HD detachable windshield but quickly returned that.  It caused severe head buffeting (even though it was the large size), and just didn't feel safe.

Anyways, I came to find this site by searching for specific cams, because it's now time to feed the beast!  I deliberately kept the stock intake, exhaust, and tune for my first year of riding because the bike has plenty of power.  Of course, I didn't realize the "quiet" stock exhaust would be difficult for me to hear at speed, and for cage dwellers to notice.  Or that the stock tune runs rough and hot because of the EPA restrictions.  So I've been researching online and in person for a while for just the right setup.  I had some good recommendations for a local tuning shop, and the owner pointed me to the CycleRama 570-2 cams.  He was also on-board with my selections of S&S Stealth air cleaner and Bassani Road Rage 2 B1 exhaust, having tuned quite a few builds with this same combination.

Based on what I have seen here, it looks like the CR570-2 is one of (if not THE) best drop-in cam for the stock 103, so I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out!  Parts are en route and I should be dropping the bike off late this week.

SixShooter14

Howdy, welcome from Arkansas.

Sounds like you're getting a good start to the riding life. You can check out the General and Twin Cam sections for technical-bike related discussions. Or Earl's place for the more social topics.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

feelthaflo

July 16, 2018, 05:05:14 PM #2 Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:32:04 PM by feelthaflo
Thanks SixShooter!

I forgot to mention the Dyna is also getting Ohlins blackline shocks while it is at the shop.  The stock ones leave a lot to be desired, especially for 2-up riding.

Once the dust settles on these upgrades, I have my eye on a fork kit (Race Tech was the shop recommendation), fairing, and bars.  I'm a little apprehensive about the fairing due to my experience with the HD windshield but I think a fairing that properly wraps the headlight would provide a less turbulent envelope of air.  Also I have read/heard that shorter may be better for this sort of thing.  I'm 5'11" and wear a full-face helmet, and the HD shield was this 18" one: https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/store/quick-release-compact-windshield-pa-20-5834606--1

Edit: started a new thread on the fairing topic in General, here http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=104999.0

Leed

Howdy back at ya from Houston...

You've picked the best site.  Everyone is really helpful and they've saved me a lot of time and money over the years.

Pete_Vit

Welcome! and another how'dyado from Central Arkansas, you've found the right place, very helpful with all of your technical and some non-technical questions, just ask Preacher's Son   :hyst:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

harttoo