April 27, 2024, 10:16:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bottom end bearings

Started by 08flstf, July 17, 2018, 01:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

08flstf

Don't know if this has been discussed before or not. Was talking to guy that used to be a tech a local Harley dealer now he has his own shop. He was telling me the new M8's were throw away motors (his words not mine) because the bearings in the bottom end can't be rebuilt or replaced. He said you would have to buy new cases and start over if they went out. Anyone heard anything like that? I can't imagine that many bearings going out without being run without oil, just curious if there is anything to this. I would think a machine shop would be able to machine the cases to repair or rebuild.

1FSTRK

A trip to the parts finder says the bearings are not only replaceable but they are the same as the 07 and up twin cams 24605-07.
Maybe find a new Indy.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

08flstf

Quote from: 1FSTRK on July 17, 2018, 03:05:10 PM
A trip to the parts finder says the bearings are not only replaceable but they are the same as the 07 and up twin cams 24605-07.
Maybe find a new Indy.

LMAO!!!!  Thanks, couldn't understand why they wouldn't be replaceable. Is there any other bearings he could be referring to?

1FSTRK

Quote from: 08flstf on July 17, 2018, 03:35:29 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on July 17, 2018, 03:05:10 PM
Maybe find a new Indy.

LMAO!!!!  Thanks, couldn't understand why they wouldn't be replaceable. Is there any other bearings he could be referring to?

Well he could be referring to the 35200021 balancer bearings or the 9215 inner cam bearing, they too press into the cases, but given they have part numbers, prices and can be purchased from any dealer my advice is unchanged.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Ohio HD

I think your Indy has lost his bearing....     

IronButt70

No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

FloridaJim5

Quote from: IronButt70 on July 17, 2018, 07:00:32 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 17, 2018, 05:00:17 PM
I think your Indy has lost his bearing....     
LMAO  :hyst:

LOL!  Don't think I'd be using this indie!  Sounds like a hater and this is how rumors start.

Breeze

/quote]
LOL!  Don't think I'd be using this indie!  Sounds like a hater and this is how rumors start.
[/quote]

Ask for his opinion on synthetic oil and bearing skate.  :baby:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

rbabos

Quote from: Breeze on July 18, 2018, 03:50:17 AM
/quote]

Ask for his opinion on synthetic oil and bearing skate.  :baby:
[/quote]
:doh: Oh, great, just when most of us forgot about that. You saying it's not true? :hyst:
Ron

08flstf

I've never used him, I just know him. LOL

rigidthumper

Ask him if he's ever heard of John Dahmer.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hogpipes1

On the  M-8 did they beef up the lefty bearing , or same set up as T-Cam .?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Geezer_Glider

He "could" be referring to the rod bearings? Plus the fact you can't replace the crank pin as easy as the old five piece cranks? Just a thought to give the guy a chance.
Just saying,
R Meyer

Hossamania

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on July 18, 2018, 10:03:24 AM
He "could" be referring to the rod bearings? Plus the fact you can't replace the crank pin as easy as the old five piece cranks? Just a thought to give the guy a chance.
Just saying,
R Meyer

According to the op, the Indy said the cases need to be replaced.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

les

There are tools for removing and installing the main bearing.

JIMS:  5813
H-D:  HD-42720, HD-52017

KTA600

Quote from: 08flstf on July 17, 2018, 01:56:36 PM
Don't know if this has been discussed before or not. Was talking to guy that used to be a tech a local Harley dealer now he has his own shop. He was telling me the new M8's were throw away motors (his words not mine) because the bearings in the bottom end can't be rebuilt or replaced. He said you would have to buy new cases and start over if they went out. Anyone heard anything like that? I can't imagine that many bearings going out without being run without oil, just curious if there is anything to this. I would think a machine shop would be able to machine the cases to repair or rebuild.
I guess u found a guy not too go back too
Full of "Potty mouth"
I was in 2 now....

Princess Butt

If the cases are junk, someone will figure out how to machine them, do an insert, and keep on rolling.

That's what this is all about. We're Harley riders and we'll figure it out.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.