May 04, 2024, 05:40:58 AM

News:

M8 Reflash and waranty

Started by evostroker, July 29, 2018, 08:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evostroker

July 29, 2018, 08:28:41 PM Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:39:36 PM by evostroker
OK got a few miles on my 2018 Fat Bob 114, and its an absolutely a great bike, but its too quiet. So not wanting to mess up the factory warranty, I have decided to put on some EPA approved S&S Grand National slip on's. I also ordered the Pro Street tuner, which I picked up today. Parts guy tells me the only way to keep the factory warranty is to have the dealership to do the flash, and its not free (WTF).  My question is how would they know if I did it myself? Does it put some kind of a code in the ECM, or do they register the flash with the MoCo???

hattitude

Per the consent decree and the written manufacturers warranty, you cannot tune the bike with a non-EPA approved tuner. I have not read anything about needing the MoCo to do the actual tune flashing...

The Pro Street Tuner is listed on the HD website as 50-state EPA compliant... I can't see how flashing the tune yourself, if you use this tuner and it's tune database, will void your warranty. It even comes with directions on how to run an auto tune with it... surely the dealer isn't going to do that too....

I strongly suspect the parts guy is trying to drum up business for the shop. I believe he is either misinformed or  lying...

dwagar

if that was true, they wouldn't sell you the cable to flash it yourself, and likely wouldn't let you auto tune.

rigidthumper

They cannot void the warranty because you purchased the cables and flashed the bike, as long as the base map you pick is correct for the bike.
They will not/can not stand behind another manufacturers product, so if your mufflers turn blue, or have issues, no help from the MOCO.
Shouldn't be an issue, as far as the rest of the bike goes, but ya never know for certain.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

evostroker

Spoke to two other local dealers this morning, They both said no problem with warranty, as long as I load the correct program!. I really don't like getting different answers to the same question.

happyman

Quote from: evostroker on July 30, 2018, 11:01:54 AM
Spoke to two other local dealers this morning, They both said no problem with warranty, as long as I load the correct program!. I really don't like getting different answers to the same question.
Did they by chance give you the correct download  info.?

evostroker

Pretty simple...114 stage 1 or 2 or 3 etc ...no other options present themselves on the SE downloads

HV

Just Slip ons ...?  114 Stage 1 and your good to go...Id do a few Smart Tune Runs but thats just me ...Most dealers just put the Flash in and let it go...90% dont even know how to do a Smart tune .......of Course a Dyno tune is the best ...either way its not going to hurt your warranty
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT