April 27, 2024, 06:03:24 PM

News:

aftermarket FXRT Fairing on FXR

Started by hbkeith, July 30, 2018, 03:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

Anyone bought or install one of the aftermarket kits on a FXR ? kinda limited info from most of the companys making them , or get a response . would like to see details of the pieces and excactly how they mount

Deye76

My experience is with factory, but from what I've seen the brackets and fairing are like OE. Installing a FXRT fairing on a Dyna is different, but for a FXR should be straight forward. I got aftermarket clamshell bags from JD Fabrications, better than OE mounted exactly like OE. Contact JD Fab, Lowen will answer your questions. A dealer will still have a parts book on computer file and can print you the fairing diagram and parts list, will give you a visual.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hbkeith

its not really all about how to mount it , but I want to see every piece in detail to see how its made and which one seems better built etc . 1 company ive seen actually shows every detail but they are REAL pricey, hard to compare when they don't show much.I like  to see what im paying for . so far nobody
has responded to emails

hbkeith

Still out of all these guys that don't respond , have not enough detail on there products , the only ones that show you EVERYTHING is the one nobody likes .  :nix:

cdonis

John Jessup at  dream rides in stockton ca could probably help you out over the phone.  Some nice fxr builds in that shop.

Phu Cat

Owned an '88 FXRT once, great bike.  Does yours have the built in radio the originals had?  I really liked the radio volume that went up and down with your speed.  Made my own tapes for it in those days so was always rockin to my favorite tunes.  Air suspension gave a good ride, too.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

hbkeith

Quote from: Phu Cat on October 17, 2018, 09:42:59 AM
Owned an '88 FXRT once, great bike.  Does yours have the built in radio the originals had?  I really liked the radio volume that went up and down with your speed.  Made my own tapes for it in those days so was always rockin to my favorite tunes.  Air suspension gave a good ride, too.

PC
I have a FXR looking to put fairing on

hbkeith

Made contact with DEFAB , I quess I need to do social media lol , decide which style I want now

hbkeith

looks like im buying from someone that communicates , nice "Potty mouth" , quess they sell enough don't need my money

ScottFree

Quote from: Phu Cat on October 17, 2018, 09:42:59 AM

PC
Don't think they got the factory radios till '85 or '86, when they incorporated the speedo and tach into the fairing, along with some storage compartments. My '83 and '84 both had the earlier inner fairing and speedo/tach still mounted to the triple clamp. You could carve up the fairing and install a standard car-style radio, which I did, but it didn't have AVC. I did have the AVC radio on my second '90 bagger; never liked it that much as it seemed too loud at a stop and not loud enough at highway speeds.

hbkeith

October 30, 2018, 10:16:07 AM #10 Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:44:15 PM by hbkeith
Think im going to hold off on getting a Fairing right now unless I come across a OEM

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on October 30, 2018, 10:16:07 AM
Think im going to hold off on getting a Fairing right now unless I come across a OEM , cant wait till the aftermarket graze on these ends and  these un professional's are trying to find someone to buy there stuff

You know, I have had my hands on a bunch of OEM FXR P/D/T fairings and just about every brand of the aftermarket fairings. IME, all of the aftermarket fairings are much better than even the oem fairings in even the best condition. That old ABS stuff was prone to cracking. After 25 years since the last ones were made most oem fairings have been drilled repaired (by hacks), cracked, etc. Even if the damage cannot be seen by the naked eye, its still there and sellers want an arm and a leg for stuff that was low quality when it was new. Most of the aftermarket brackets are of much better quality and not bend up, rusted, etc. The oem fairings themselves are for the most part much better than the oem stuff but vary by manufacturer. There are some really good manufactures of this stuff and some really shitty ones. Unfortunately, there are personalities and marketing forces that have done a good job at influencing opinions and perceptions about who is good and who is less than good. Heck, I have lost friendships over this very debate. Bottom line, please dont hold out for an overpriced POS oem unit in good condition to fall out of the sky. PM me to discuss this more. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

hbkeith

Coyote

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on October 30, 2018, 01:44:53 PM
says blocked

My fault. In case you haven't noticed I am somewhat unsocial. Had everyone blocked. Try it now.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Coyote

Quote from: turboprop on October 30, 2018, 02:17:09 PM
Quote from: hbkeith on October 30, 2018, 01:44:53 PM
says blocked

My fault. In case you haven't noticed I am somewhat unsocial. Had everyone blocked. Try it now.
:slap:      :teeth: