May 04, 2024, 02:59:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Charging system question.

Started by Paniolo, November 11, 2008, 02:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paniolo

I have a 2001 Ultra. Today was cold enough to use the heated jacket liner (Powerlet) and heated grips (HotGrips). With the engine at speed, the voltmeter read 14v. At idle, it dropped down to 12v, then came back up to 14v if I rev'd the engine. If I turned off the passing lamps, speakers, and went to low beam, I could almost get 14v at idle.

Is this normal? I had the stator replaced last August, and really don't want to fry the new one.

Thanks.

Mark
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Bakon

Its normal. The 01 set the idle between 950-1050 which is too low to charge. At idle you are pulling off the battery. Need about 1300 rpm to get any juice on the MM bikes.
wasting time

x52gnr

Yes That is normal from my experience..... :teeth:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

FLTRI

Absolutely Normal!

Quote from: SHOStreetglide on November 11, 2008, 02:09:04 PM
Its normal. The 01 set the idle between 950-1050 which is too low to charge. At idle you are pulling off the battery. Need about 1300 rpm to get any juice on the MM bikes.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Paniolo

Thanks guys. I guess I'm okay until the next stator failure.

bouncingVman

I remember reading your thread on the old HTT... did you go with another stock stator, or a three phase stator and regulator. Just curious is all -BVM
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

Paniolo

Quote from: bouncingVman on November 11, 2008, 06:10:16 PM
I remember reading your thread on the old HTT... did you go with another stock stator, or a three phase stator and regulator. Just curious is all -BVM

Well since all the breakdowns are unplanned and on the road, I went with the OEM ones the dealers had on their shelves. Next time I'm going to carry a set of heavy cables, and just buy a car battery, strap it to the rear seat and use that to ride home.