May 04, 2024, 07:22:13 AM

News:

M8 Noisy Primary

Started by Grayrider, August 03, 2018, 01:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grayrider

Wondering if there is a resolution for the noisy whining primary on the M8.
My Heritage primary is very loud and whiney.
Dealer adjusted the chain tension and it is still very whiny.
Very annoying. And not getting better!
2018 Harley sounds like an EBike!
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

Txwezl

I changed oil to Lucas primary oil. Helped some but still not quiet IMO

Grayrider

Dealer uses Syn 3 oil in all the holes. I have tried non Syn 20-50  oil , Syn Lucas 85-85W and Ford ATF and still very noisy.
Wonder if a heavier 85 - 140 gear oil might quiet it down!
Not sure if the comp will like it though.
Not happy!

rbabos

Quote from: Grayrider on August 03, 2018, 03:23:18 PM
Dealer uses Syn 3 oil in all the holes. I have tried non Syn 20-50  oil , Syn Lucas 85-85W and Ford ATF and still very noisy.
Wonder if a heavier 85 - 140 gear oil might quiet it down!
Not sure if the comp will like it though.
Not happy!
Stay away from any EP additives as they will burn into the clutch. Shouldn't need to go to lube extremes to quiet a primary. Some of this noise is how the auto tensioner is mounted with the inner becoming a musical instrument.
Ron

Grayrider

ekb55

I can tell you that of the two M8's I have owned, the second one I run Harley non-synthetic and is much quieter than the other.  Just my 2c

harttoo

Go back to Formula plus.The original  2017 owners manual gave no options for primary,only Formula plus. SYN3 made My primary noisy and transmission clunk.Formula plus does not.

Moparnut72

Are you sure it is the primary? I saw a guy with a new M8 Softail Fat Boy. It was pretty whiny too. I thought it was the new gears on the counter balancers. It turned me off. However I rode a new Lowrider and it didn't have the whine. So I don't know.
kk
"The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know." Albert Einstein

ekb55

Quote from: harttoo on August 09, 2018, 05:42:56 AM
Go back to Formula plus.The original  2017 owners manual gave no options for primary,only Formula plus. SYN3 made My primary noisy and transmission clunk.Formula plus does not.

I'm with you. The Formula plus made a significant difference. Even the tech who performed the 1,000 miles service commented on how quiet the primary was with the Formula plus and the regular Harley-Davidson 20W-50 in the engine since they always just put in the Syn3 in all three holes. 

IronButt70

What about Redline primary oil? All I've ever used on HDs. Don't have an M8 to test but my 17 TC softail makes no noise.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.