April 28, 2024, 05:06:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

"Upgrading" early FXR stator and voltage regulator with later generation parts?

Started by JamesButler, August 06, 2018, 11:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesButler

Looking to replace the worn out / neglected charging system on an '87 FXLR Custom which has been sitting dormant for 5+ years.
Is it common / recommended to replace the stock Voltage Regulator p/n 74516-86 and stock Stator p/n 29965-81C with the next / latest generation FXR (and other Evo models) volt reg and stator - p/n 74519-88A and 29970-88D?

Are they actual upgrades and / or straightforward plug&play swaps?

rageglide

I swapped the older stator and regulator out of both my '84 FXWG and my old '86 softail for the same parts that were in my '94 softail.  No rotor change.   I don't recall the part numbers off top of my head.  But it's easy swap.   You need to match the regulator to the stator and the newer stator plug will be less leak prone and more secure than the older style.

I realize those aren't FXRs, but in this case it doesn't matter.

JamesButler

Quote from: rageglide on August 06, 2018, 12:04:36 PM
I swapped the older stator and regulator out of both my '84 FXWG and my old '86 softail for the same parts that were in my '94 softail.  No rotor change.   I don't recall the part numbers off top of my head.  But it's easy swap.   You need to match the regulator to the stator and the newer stator plug will be less leak prone and more secure than the older style.

I realize those aren't FXRs, but in this case it doesn't matter.

Thanks.  Yes, in this case it doesn't matter as Softail and FXR used the same stator and regulator.  Thanks for the rotor info, too.

Lakerat

If you really are serious about upgrading, Cycle Electric systems and components are the best available and money well spent. Their matching regulator and stator really makes a huge difference.
PGR  92 FXLR 97 FLHTCU (RIP) 98 FLHTCUI 95th Anniversary Now Carbed

JC 92FXRS

:agree: Yup, put a CE VR/stator in my '92 FXRS and couple of years ago... charges great. The quality of the CE stator over stock is clearly noticeable.
Chees, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Lakerat on August 07, 2018, 09:05:35 AM
If you really are serious about upgrading, Cycle Electric systems and components are the best available and money well spent. Their matching regulator and stator really makes a huge difference.
:agree:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

JamesButler

Quote from: Lakerat on August 07, 2018, 09:05:35 AM

Agreed. Don't know why I didn't consider CE, since I had a CE stator and regulator installed in my FXR w/ V111 and upgraded starter.  No problems to date after 15K miles on those components.

turboprop

Simply using better components like Ce is good, but if you are really serious about upgrading that charging system you should consider a 3-phase charging system. CE makes several nice 3P systems for the evo models. I have a 50A 3P CE on my red FXR and a 38A Compu-Fire system on the black and gold FXR. Only reason for either of the systems was a good deal at the time, but they have both worked very well at keeping the little batteries in the FXRs charged enough to spin there high compression 124 engines.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

wfolarry

Quote from: turboprop on August 07, 2018, 12:28:38 PM
Simply using better components like Ce is good, but if you are really serious about upgrading that charging system you should consider a 3-phase charging system. CE makes several nice 3P systems for the evo models. I have a 50A 3P CE on my red FXR and a 38A Compu-Fire system on the black and gold FXR. Only reason for either of the systems was a good deal at the time, but they have both worked very well at keeping the little batteries in the FXRs charged enough to spin there high compression 124 engines.

I did this on my bike as well. The 3 phase is putting out enough at idle my voltage gauge never drops below 12. With the stock one it would drop almost immediately. The little battery in my 85 FLHTC needs all the help it can get. This solved a lot of starting issues by having a battery that's 100% all the time.