May 09, 2024, 10:39:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dunlop Elite 4

Started by apes, August 10, 2018, 05:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rugby_fxdwg

I have the E4 on my 99 ultra.... So far I've put 2K on my rear tire and I switched from a Metzler 888 & 880 before. I really like it so far, handles well but it's a new tire. Anything is better then the stock tire and so far the E4 rides better then the Metzlers. 

1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

Bagger

I know these aren't E4s, but I'm running American Elites on my 2002 RK.  I put them on last year maybe 5000 miles on them.  I'm going to replace them with Avon Cobra tires this month, can't wait to get them off my bike.  My experience is American Elites don't inspire confidence on wet roads, especially twisty damp mountain roads.  Prior to the American Elites I ran Avon Venom tires for the last 14 years.  They may not get the wear mileage of American Elites, but their ability to brake, corner, fast responsiveness and confidence at higher speeds IMHO are superior to American Elites.  So if E4s are anything like American Elites, they are built for the average rider whose primary concern is wear longevity.

SKnoble

I have the Elite 4's on my dyna.   I ride harder then most HD riders through turn and I take pride in how much I have ground off my foot pegs. I am happy with the Dulops so far.   They stick well in the turns, and they stay in place in the rain.  I have about 10-12k on them.  The rear is almost due for replacement.
I may get them again, but the Pirelli Night Dragons have interesting reviews on revzilla. I may give those a try next. 
I lie the dual compound tires.  Coming from aportbikes, the dual compound Michelen Pilot Power 2's were awesome. 
Damn the long mileage.  I want a tire that will stick in the turns. 

04 SE Deuce

Night Dragon's are not a high grip tire at all,  feel isn't the best, mileage is ok.  They have a round profile and change line and lean angle easy,  too easy for me...I like a more planted stable feel.  One of my least favorite.

1FSTRK

Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 15, 2018, 02:22:36 PM
Quote from: 88b on August 15, 2018, 01:32:46 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 10, 2018, 06:10:06 PM
I went from the American Elites to the E4's and I do not now about mileage yet because I only have 5000 miles on them but I will be going back to the Elites when the E4's wear out.
The E4's are noisy on some pavements, even guys I ride with noticed it. The front tire with the center groove follows everything in the road, tar snakes are the worst. The Elites never did, you could cross a a center groove or tar snake without even feeling it. I would not recommend the E4's, I am going back the Elites as soon as the I can.

That's an interesting read , my Victory came with E3's and the second set need replacing soon . I'm reading similar reports on the Vic pages , you get a lot of people bad mouthing Dunlop's yet I've found them a good compromise on wear grip and tracking . I think I may look into the Elites instead of the E4 .

The only thing I did not like about the HD Dunlop was the mileage. I came here to HTT for information and ended up buying the American Elite II and they were the best tires I have ever had on the Road king. After a few sets I was reading the advertising on the E4's a thought I would give them a try thinking I may gain something from some new technology or just some extra mileage but I never thought they would loose anything to the AE II's. There is a very noticable difference and that is why I took the time to share my findings and the fact I will be going back to AE II's. I will not wait to wear the front one out, I don't have money to throw away but when the back tire needs replacing they will both get replaced with II's

If others have had better experiences on different bikes with the E4's I hope they post but for me the info I got here at HTT about the AE II's was spot on so I am just sharing for the next guy.

Well the E4's are in the trash. Back tire yielded 32% less miles compared to my last two American Elites and it had cords showing. I checked the swingarm and neck bearings because I knew something was wrong with the bike, it was handling worse everyday but could find nothing wrong. Put the new American Elites on and got my old bike back. No more problems with tar snakes or grooves in the pavement and we are back to taking corners without feeling like the frame articulates.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hossamania

Thanks for the feedback. No E4s for me.
Like you, I have found that most handling problems thought to be caused by worn suspension parts are cured with new tires.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Hossamania on October 22, 2018, 06:19:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. No E4s for me.
Like you, I have found that most handling problems thought to be caused by worn suspension parts are cured with new tires.

The thing that gets me is the last two AE sets never handled that bad when worn out, in fact I thought from day one the new E4s felt no better than the worn AE's I took off, now going the other way from E4's to new AE's I am sure of it.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hossamania

I'm running worn AEs on two bikes right now, and I agree with you, they still seem to handle pretty well. When the stock Dunlops 402s were a little over half worn, I could tell, and knew their life was coming to a short end. I keep pushing these AEs just a little longer.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

black

Quote from: Hossamania on October 22, 2018, 06:36:32 PM
I'm running worn AEs on two bikes right now, and I agree with you, they still seem to handle pretty well. When the stock Dunlops 402s were a little over half worn, I could tell, and knew their life was coming to a short end. I keep pushing these AEs just a little longer.
what is the difference between AE's and AE3 I see the AE www but no www for AE3
send  lawyers guns and money

HarleyHiwayMan

Local indy dealer will not sell the 4's as they track cracks and snakes and more to aggressively. After mounting the tires a few times, they have literally stopped them cold.

American Elite is always my choice.
Flatland Charley, Lazy Photographer
Ride with an attitude!!

Evojoe

Love the Michelin commander 2s and about $30 cheaper than Elites.  Elites are much better than standard Dunlops but Im staying with Michelin 11s

92flhtcu

Black, the American Elite is just that, there is no different versions. The  Elite 3 which is now the Elite 4 are totally different tires than the American Elite.

Need a bigger garage

Phu Cat

I expect to get 30k from the front and 20k from the rear.

About what I got from my Elite 3s, except I got two fronts per rear tire.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

black

Quote from: 92flhtcu on October 24, 2018, 04:46:25 AM
Black, the American Elite is just that, there is no different versions. The  Elite 3 which is now the Elite 4 are totally different tires than the American Elite.
Thank you for the information . very confusing Elite  Elite 3 Elite 4

Beave

In my eternal quest for a rear tire that would last on my tire eating 05 RK, I tried a Dunlop E4,150/80-16H77T, thinking (hoping) the slightly wider 150 might give me a little more life. I was a fan of the E3 as I could squeeze 12k from them.  The handling was not very impressive, but not dangerous, just not inspiring. After only 7816 miles this tire was toast.  It wore so quickly it caught me by surprise.  It lost pressure while sitting and I noticed it was past the wear bars.  There was actually a small patch of cord showing.  When I pulled it, I leak tested it out of curiosity.  It was seeping from the center of the tread around the entire perimeter of the tire! I went back to an AE.
With speed comes stability.

black

Quote from: Beave on October 26, 2018, 06:54:34 AM
In my eternal quest for a rear tire that would last on my tire eating 05 RK, I tried a Dunlop E4,150/80-16H77T, thinking (hoping) the slightly wider 150 might give me a little more life. I was a fan of the E3 as I could squeeze 12k from them.  The handling was not very impressive, but not dangerous, just not inspiring. After only 7816 miles this tire was toast.  It wore so quickly it caught me by surprise.  It lost pressure while sitting and I noticed it was past the wear bars.  There was actually a small patch of cord showing.  When I pulled it, I leak tested it out of curiosity.  It was seeping from the center of the tread around the entire perimeter of the tire! I went back to an AE.
what was your miles on AE rear