May 09, 2024, 01:41:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dunlop Elite 4

Started by apes, August 10, 2018, 05:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apes

I need new tires on my '02 ultra and the ones I have on there now are Elite 3 (E3).  Since I havent been needing any new ones I have ignored new products but now I am looking at the Elite 4 as replacements.  Has anyone tried them and what if the review?
Thanks

calif phil

The American Elites would be my choice.   Dunlop has some good rebates until the end of August. 

Hossamania

I'll be putting another set of American Elites on the Ultra. The wear is incredible, the handling good.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

1FSTRK

I went from the American Elites to the E4's and I do not now about mileage yet because I only have 5000 miles on them but I will be going back to the Elites when the E4's wear out.
The E4's are noisy on some pavements, even guys I ride with noticed it. The front tire with the center groove follows everything in the road, tar snakes are the worst. The Elites never did, you could cross a a center groove or tar snake without even feeling it. I would not recommend the E4's, I am going back the Elites as soon as the I can.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hossamania

Thank you for that feedback on the E4's.

1canvas

I just went to Elites this season and I am very happy with them.
2001 Road King

1FSTRK

August 12, 2018, 05:23:11 AM #6 Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:10:53 PM by 1FSTRK
As luck would have it I got to test the E4's in the rain yesterday. I spent most of the day in hard rain on both concrete interstates and two lane asphalt so it was a good test. They are as good as the Elites in the rain but I would not say better and certainly not worth giving up what they give up in the dry conditions. In my eyes the only thing left for them to exceed at is mileage and I do not see them being able to last enough extra miles to make that a factor in my next purchase.

04 SE Deuce

August 12, 2018, 11:42:54 AM #7 Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:47:57 AM by 04 SE DEUCE
When the E4 first came out I wasn't impressed with the look/thread, having what has become an old school straight center groove in the front tire.  Straight center grooves tend to track irregularities more and contribute unfavorably on bikes prone to being front end unstable.  Maybe Dunlop was looking for crisp initial steering response from straight???  Maybe just for water.
I asked the Dunlop rep about the center groove and he agreed with my thoughts and had no explanation/understanding,  also said this is not the tire for how you ride.  He said the E4 is a high mileage aimed at touring bikes like the Gold Wing.

FWIW Ol' Headflow posted somewhere that he is favorable on a set of E4's he is trying on a RK.  He normally gets it right but then he believes Cobra's uniquely slip on tar snakes.  :nix:

1workinman

August 13, 2018, 05:42:08 AM #8 Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 05:46:42 AM by 1workinman
Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on August 12, 2018, 11:42:54 AM
When the E4 first came out I wasn't impressed with the look/thread, having what has become an old school straight center groove in the front tire.  Straight center grooves tend to track irregularities more and contribute unfavorably on bikes prone to being front end unstable.  Maybe Dunlop was looking for crisp initial steering response from straight???  Maybe just for water.
I asked the Dunlop rep about the center groove and he agreed with my thoughts and had no explanation/understanding,  also said this is not the tire for how you ride.  He said the E4 is a high mileage aimed at touring bikes like the Gold Wing.

FWIW Ol' Headflow posted somewhere that he is favorable on a set of E4's he is trying on a RK.  He normally gets it right but then he believes Cobra's uniquely slip on tar snakes.  :nix:
I just bought a 19x3.5 chrome agitator wheel for my 13 road glide that is being having some engine and front forks shocks ect work done to the bike . It needs tires so what is the option of the Michelins tires . I had decent experience before with them. I was reading this thread and maybe the American elite are a good choice. When Steve gets the SS motor running as I expect it will I need a rear tire to hold pretty good . NO drag racing normally just having a little fun ridding it out on the country roads thanks 

IronButt70

FWIW I wouldn't run anything else but Michelin Commander IIs on my bike. Quiet, great handling, wet and dry and great mileage. I have never tried the E3s, 4s or elites so I can't offer any advise on those. My current ride is a 17 FLSTC that's been "converted" to a bagger with fairing, hard bags and tour pack. I expect to get 30k from the front and 20k from the rear. Those numbers are based on the wear from my previous 04 ultra and the wear on the current ones on the bike. Of course YMMV depending on your riding style and terrain. Few twisties and no mountains in Fla.  :smiled:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

1workinman

Quote from: IronButt70 on August 13, 2018, 06:02:14 AM
FWIW I wouldn't run anything else but Michelin Commander IIs on my bike. Quiet, great handling, wet and dry and great mileage. I have never tried the E3s, 4s or elites so I can't offer any advise on those. My current ride is a 17 FLSTC that's been "converted" to a bagger with fairing, hard bags and tour pack. I expect to get 30k from the front and 20k from the rear. Those numbers are based on the wear from my previous 04 ultra and the wear on the current ones on the bike. Of course YMMV depending on your riding style and terrain. Few twisties and no mountains in Fla.  :smiled:
:up: Thanks I get some ordered

Paniolo

My last three sets were Commander IIs. Great tire, but the rear tended to cup towards the end of its life. On my first set of American Elites now, and no complaints. The nice thing about tires is that we go through them so often, we have the chance to try different ones.

Over the years I have had Dunlop 402, E3, American Elite, Metzler ME888, Avon Cobras, Michelin Commander II and Shinko. I usually got about 8K-10K out of the Dunlops, and Michelin. The Shinko only gave me 6K. I got rid of the Metzler early due to sidewall cracks.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Don D

Pete_Vit

Quote from: IronButt70 on August 13, 2018, 06:02:14 AM
:agree: I've had the Michelin CII on both the Sporty and the Softtail, 2 sets so far and am very happy, dry wet, twisties, highway all good. As a recommendation I got a set of Avon Cobra's for the Softtail, so far they are doing ok, only been in the rain once, on the highway and I didn't get the same good feel as I do with the CII's , I'll be going back to the CII's, for me, they are the best tire for my ride, and less expensive that any Dunlop or Avon, 'at the time'
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hybredhog

I was turned off by the E4's center rib design out of the gate, and my road rep. kind of side stepped trying to push them too. I sell both AE's & Mich. com. II, and each have their merits/ down sides. Of course there are a lot of contributors to their performance, mostly if one is religious about air pressure, then suspension set up.  But in my experience of the customers I know that are good with air pressure, I'd say the AE is slightly better on bagger mileage, but the Michelin kind of poops out on spoke style wheels with tubes, that build up heat. The Michelins are more  forgiving in handling, & grip, but the fronts do wear faster (softer compound), and I think are intentionally meant to be replaced 1:1 with the rears. The AE are light years ahead of Dunlop's most evil 402's, so that is somewhat of an issue when trying to break the stereo type, but do handle well also. Michelin has done a good job with advertising, but are somewhat deceptive comparing them to "A" Dunlop (the 402). There are of course anomalies, I do have a grampa here with a '07 dyna, and he drives that way, while he is over 17k on his commander II's.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: jeffscycle on August 13, 2018, 10:31:15 AM
    I was turned off by the E4's center rib design out of the gate, and my road rep. kind of side stepped trying to push them too. I sell both AE's & Mich. com. II, and each have their merits/ down sides. Of course there are a lot of contributors to their performance, mostly if one is religious about air pressure, then suspension set up.  But in my experience of the customers I know that are good with air pressure, I'd say the AE is slightly better on bagger mileage, but the Michelin kind of poops out on spoke style wheels with tubes, that build up heat. The Michelins are more  forgiving in handling, & grip, but the fronts do wear faster (softer compound), and I think are intentionally meant to be replaced 1:1 with the rears. The AE are light years ahead of Dunlop's most evil 402's, so that is somewhat of an issue when trying to break the stereo type, but do handle well also. Michelin has done a good job with advertising, but are somewhat deceptive comparing them to "A" Dunlop (the 402). There are of course anomalies, I do have a grampa here with a '07 dyna, and he drives that way, while he is over 17k on his commander II's.

:up:  Jeff,  the Harley crowd is a tough bunch to discuss the true limits of tire performance/grip as some don't exploit grip enough to develop an accurate perspective of maximum grip level,  they just want a mileage tire...I get that,  different strokes.

I use rear Commander II's at times for mileage,  I can still have some fun on them but can't get stupid,  wet traction is mediocre to poor,  dry is decent,  feel is average IMO.  I get 6500 to 8000 mostly non-trip miles out of a rear CII depending on riding done which is the best mileage tire I've tried on the Deuce.  The front 90/90-21 Commander II was at the wear bars at 2500 miles and I replaced it at 3200 miles in stupid bald condition.  My first and last Commander II front as I get approx. 5000 miles out of Cobra fronts and they have by far the best steering and stick of any cruiser tire I've tried.  I have a Cobra front paired with an Avon 3D X-M rear on the bike now and it feels like you can do no wrong.

One of these days I may post some tire pictures...it'll explain better than words.

PoorUB

I have been running the American Elites since they came out. They wear well, and I haven't been able to get them to slide in the corners and I drag hard parts in the corners once in a while. Changed out the rear with 18,000 miles. I have run the fronts to around 28,000 mi!es.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Quote from: PoorUB on August 14, 2018, 04:23:16 AM
I have been running the American Elites since they came out. They wear well, and I haven't been able to get them to slide in the corners and I drag hard parts in the corners once in a while. Changed out the rear with 18,000 miles. I have run the fronts to around 28,000 mi!es.

It's interesting you mention that kind of mileage. I have almost 17,000 miles on my front tire, and well over 10,000 on the rear. Normally by now, I would have been looking at replacing them for the second time, but they both look good enough to go another another 5000 miles. I was going to replace the front for an upcoming 1000 mile trip, but it looks fine. Tire pressure is key. They definitely like higher pressure.

HarleyHiwayMan

I deserted the American Elite for Commander II's. Today, at 18,000 miles I am back on the Elites! Better tires on my 16 limited. I should have known better, I have used American Elite since 2011 on all my touring rides.
Flatland Charley, Lazy Photographer
Ride with an attitude!!

calif phil

The Dunlop rep last month told me that the AE is the only true dual compound tire, the wet traction of the AE is equal to the Commander II dry traction. The CII and ME888  gets it's longer life from a harder compound. 

I also like supporting the Buffalo NY families, that make the Dunlop's

gordonr

Personally I'd like to say my tires may last 5K max if that and I would like to know how many miles Ray has gotten out of his Copper Top. Lol.  I changed out my Deuce wheels 13 or so years ago in favor for 17"race stuff and of course I don't get rid of anything so last week my old STD rear wheel is now going in my 04 124" RK to try out the Sportmax Roadsmart 3. I ordered a 'll" but ended up with a "lll". So the musical chairs of tire choice still continues for me. So what else is everyone else using with decent hp numbers?
"If was easy everyone would do it"

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: gordonr on August 14, 2018, 05:17:21 PM
  Personally I'd like to say my tires may last 5K max if that and I would like to know how many miles Ray has gotten out of his Copper Top. Lol.  I changed out my Deuce wheels 13 or so years ago in favor for 17"race stuff and of course I don't get rid of anything so last week my old STD rear wheel is now going in my 04 124" RK to try out the Sportmax Roadsmart 3. I ordered a 'll" but ended up with a "lll". So the musical chairs of tire choice still continues for me. So what else is everyone else using with decent hp numbers?

CHP here in CA run the Roadsmart 3.  I'd guess a Cobra has more traction, cornering or forward,  probably pretty close match.

88b

Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 10, 2018, 06:10:06 PM
I went from the American Elites to the E4's and I do not now about mileage yet because I only have 5000 miles on them but I will be going back to the Elites when the E4's wear out.
The E4's are noisy on some pavements, even guys I ride with noticed it. The front tire with the center groove follows everything in the road, tar snakes are the worst. The Elites never did, you could cross a a center groove or tar snake without even feeling it. I would not recommend the E4's, I am going back the Elites as soon as the I can.

That's an interesting read , my Victory came with E3's and the second set need replacing soon . I'm reading similar reports on the Vic pages , you get a lot of people bad mouthing Dunlop's yet I've found them a good compromise on wear grip and tracking . I think I may look into the Elites instead of the E4 .

14Frisco

Quote from: apes on August 10, 2018, 05:40:01 PM
Has anyone tried them and what if the review?

22 replies so far and only one person has actually experience with the E4 (and one who knows someone who has tried them).

I was going to try them back in 2016 but they didn't come in a size (at least back then) that would fit my 1994 FLHR, I think they had a front tire that would've fit but not a rear.

1FSTRK

Quote from: 88b on August 15, 2018, 01:32:46 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 10, 2018, 06:10:06 PM

That's an interesting read , my Victory came with E3's and the second set need replacing soon . I'm reading similar reports on the Vic pages , you get a lot of people bad mouthing Dunlop's yet I've found them a good compromise on wear grip and tracking . I think I may look into the Elites instead of the E4 .

The only thing I did not like about the HD Dunlop was the mileage. I came here to HTT for information and ended up buying the American Elite II and they were the best tires I have ever had on the Road king. After a few sets I was reading the advertising on the E4's a thought I would give them a try thinking I may gain something from some new technology or just some extra mileage but I never thought they would loose anything to the AE II's. There is a very noticable difference and that is why I took the time to share my findings and the fact I will be going back to AE II's. I will not wait to wear the front one out, I don't have money to throw away but when the back tire needs replacing they will both get replaced with II's

If others have had better experiences on different bikes with the E4's I hope they post but for me the info I got here at HTT about the AE II's was spot on so I am just sharing for the next guy.