May 09, 2024, 02:47:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

problem with altitude?

Started by zj1182, August 21, 2018, 12:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zj1182

Going to ride out west in a few weeks, and ride up Pike's Peak, ~14,000 ft altitude at peak.
Riding a 2013 Heritage Softail Classic, bone stock engine, ignition, AC, and exhaust.

Will I have problems at the higher altitude? Anything I should do in advance?

TIA

zj

Hossamania

You will lose a little bit of power, but nothing that will cause problems, or that you may even notice. Just may have to downshift a little earlier to get back into the power band. Remember to downshift going down the mountain as well to save on your brakes.
Have fun!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

les

Not sure if this was the problem, but a friend and I rented a couple of M8 Harley's recently for a trip out west.  We rode at altitude (not at 14K though, about 10K at the highest).  The engine light kept coming on, and we'd just reset it after analyzing the code (can't recall the exact code though, but it didn't seem like a bad code).  The bike ran fine the entire vacation and we just ignored the engine light coming on after a while.

My bike never threw a code.  But we think his threw codes because of the altitude.  Just our guess.

So, if your bike has the engine light come on, it might not actually be a problem.

nibroc

if you have a carb on a 68 xlch ya might have to coast down the mountain a few miles to even get it to start

smoserx1

Take a coat.  Average high in July is like 48 or so.  Your bike should be fine.  Keep those RPMs up.

skunk

When you get above the halfway point there are quite a few switch backs, leave plenty of room between yourself and any cage in front. They tend to almost park in the middle of the turn throwing off your timing and causing you to stop also, sometimes not a spot to the inside to put a foot down ( same advice for Mt Evans if you travel it). Walk very slow when you get off at the top you will run out of air WAY faster than you think you will( I live in the Denver area, 5200' and 14k will all but drop me if I get to feeling to spunky ). Respect the hill both up and especially down, Gears instead of brakes ( they stop you part way down and IR temp gun your rotors). Hat, gloves and a coat are a must. Enjoy the trip and the views.

BillP

I rode up over 30 yrs. ago when it was all gravel, It should be better now that it's blacktop.
It was about 90 in Manitou Sprgs. the day we went up and about 38 on top.

CndUltra88

Quote from: nibroc on August 21, 2018, 01:58:36 PM
if you have a carb on a 68 xlch ya might have to coast down the mountain a few miles to even get it to start

LoL, best one this morning.

Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

bobrk1

You'll notice less power but other than that it will be fine

hotbo

We went there in the end of July this year.My cuz lives in Woodland park and we can set on her porch and see Pikes peak.I for one did not care for the peak...
when you get up top you cannot breath!!!! people drove in the middle of the road b/c im assuming they were scared,lol!!! my cousin works at a local wrecker service in town(Freds towing) and she claims that folks get going up on bikes and automobiles and get scared and call for a tow truck to come get them!Just be careful for other people and of course your self.Take jacket and gloves you will need them that high up.we left town and it was 81 up top 36 spitting snow.Travis  :beer:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.