April 27, 2024, 10:28:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cruise Control Stepper Cable broke - help needed please

Started by ridentheironhorse, August 22, 2018, 08:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridentheironhorse

August 22, 2018, 08:13:22 AM Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:23:22 AM by ridentheironhorse
My cruise control stepper cable broke on my way home from Sturgis this year.  I ride a 1997 FLHTCUI.  After hours of searching for the OEM part number (56372-97). I discovered that our local canadian stealerships can't get one, even from a vintage parts supplier and they wished me well..... 

I finally found one online, and purchased it, only to be refunded this morning as the vendor stated they have been instructed by HD to not sell to anyone outside of US, nor any company that may ship to outside of US.  Sucks to be canadian this morning....   :emoGroan:

I have found a couple of vendors through Ebay, but either my Visa refuses the transaction as they vendor is on their scam list, or the individual wants $150+US which is 8 times what it should cost.....   for a stupid cable but when contacted they advise they don't have one anyway.

So I thought I would throw this out there to all of you wonderful folk to see if anyone else has encountered this and found a solution, or an idea/alternate approach?  or knows of a vendor that will accept US dollars from a canadian that loves his Evo.   Advice would be appreciated.
I feel like I am on the search for the holy grail......  without the monty python crew.

Thanks in advance. CJ[attachimg=1]

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

ridentheironhorse

from what I am being told the 56372-98 is also obsolete....  I think they are trying to tell me to buy a newer bike, but I don't think they get it.

I am now looking at making my own internal cable and connections to slide into the existing cable sheath.....  or at least considering it.  I think the biggest challenge will be making the length of the cable precise enough.

tmwmoose

theres plenty of  them on e bay just watch them till yours model pops up

ridentheironhorse

Thanks for the suggestions. After lots of looking and a little frustration I decided to build my own. I used the cable sheath and fished a mountain bike brake line of the same gauge through. Cut it to length and soldered a ring connector in place. Reinstalled and did set up and it worked perfectly. Happy outcome. Now to investigate some noise in the front cylinder.

:bike:
CJ

Uthud

Hey @ridentheironhorse - I read your story here, and I have a similar issue. I have a bad stepper cable, and thought maybe I could repair it myself using a bicycle brake cable; which is what I see you did.
I separated the cable sheath between the motor cable and the stepper cable, but I didn't figure out how to remove the wire from the sheath?
How do I get to the hidden end of the cable?
Also, did you reuse the eyelet from your broken cable, or did you find a new one?
I know this thread is very old, but I'm hoping you are still out there, or perhaps someone else can advise me.
Thanks for your interest.

Coyote

Uthud

Thanks, Coyote. 
I am glad to know there IS an option to replace stock system. 

fbn ent

FWIW, I bought a used cruise unit for my '02 a while back just in case. There are more obsolete parts I will pick up when I can as I plan on keeping this bike.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta