M8's seem to be worse than TC's for oil carry over.

Started by rich1, August 23, 2018, 01:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1

Several people seem to be having a lot more oil carry over from the crank case vents on the M8.  I vented mine to atmosphere and every time I ride a get a nickle sized puddle of oil on the garage floor. On the TC's Ive owned I would get the occasional drop. Certainly not every ride. One guy on another forum had his umbrella valves replaced. Made no difference. They did a compression test and a leak down test and the numbers were really good. The people who are having issues and trying to find a solution are all running the oil at the half way mark. So just a characteristic and just live with it? I am just not used to that much oil carry over. And my bike isnt using any oil other than an ounce or so that is getting dumped out the vent hoses.

teknition

I have no idea how you routed the vent hose but if it is not already done, try routing the vent hose up higher before coming back down. ie: loop it up under the fuel tank and back down again.

98fxstc

Quote from: teknition on August 23, 2018, 06:46:05 PM
I have no idea how you routed the vent hose but if it is not already done, try routing the vent hose up higher before coming back down. ie: loop it up under the fuel tank and back down again.
Not a good idea
oil carry over usually contains a bit of moisture
get rid of it, not trap it

Ohio HD

Quote from: 98fxstc on August 24, 2018, 02:02:09 AM
Not a good idea

:up:   Even if there were not any oil carry over, there is always moisture.   

hogpipes1

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 24, 2018, 02:41:24 AM
Not a good idea

[/quote

To long a vent hose upright, the more water to run back down into the eng.

hd06

This was my first time posting a picture didn't thing it went through. This how much oil and condition and oil that was in my Catch Can on a 1100 mile trip. I run my oil level 1/2 to 2/3 from the full mark any higher it would end up in my breather before I put the can on. I run my M8 on higher than 3200 RPM.

rich1

Quote from: hd06 on August 26, 2018, 06:12:12 AM
This was my first time posting a picture didn't thing it went through. This how much oil and condition and oil that was in my Catch Can on a 1100 mile trip. I run my oil level 1/2 to 2/3 from the full mark any higher it would end up in my breather before I put the can on. I run my M8 on higher than 3200 RPM.

Thanks for posting. Looks like a good catch can setup. So how full was it?

hd06

That was the first time I drained it maybe 2 oz. That's was the first time I drained it. That is 2oz. that didn't end up in the combustion chamber. I'm putting one on my Deuce. 

longshooter

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 24, 2018, 02:41:24 AM
Not a good idea

That moisture won't be there very long after reaching operating temps. Will just turn to vapor and be blown out with the rest of the air.
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

hd06

That's true I don't want the vapor to be vented to the throttled body.  I had mine vented straight down and it ended up all over my saddlebags, little bit of oil goes along ways. What was in that coke bottle was 1100 miles 2 days of riding.