May 04, 2024, 06:33:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 on 2 plugs?

Started by Xyzzy, August 28, 2018, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyzzy

If I pull the left plug boots off of my bike while it is running, the engine doesn't run very smooth. I kinda expected it to run normal since there are 2 other spark plugs to do the job.

Is this what you'd expect, or is my bike not right?

FWIW, I just put new plugs and fat plug wires on. I didn't think to test the "2 plug theory" with the stock stuff before I put the new stuff on.

1FSTRK

Probably not a good idea with an ecm.

With one plug per coil on the after market dual plug systems when you pulled one wire off or fouled a plug you were running the timing retarded. A one plug per cylinder system has more spark advance timing.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Moparnut72

I had a BMW R90/6. I bought it used with dual plug heads, but the ignition system was never upgraded to use them. I eventually added Harley coils and ran both plugs. It was amazing how much of a difference they made. The idle alone was a couple of hundred rpm higher when I first started it. I agree don't run it without plug wires grounded in some way, very hard on coils. I collect and use old outboards with magnetos. Doing that will burn out a coil in no time in one of those and a lot of those are now unobtainium.
kk
"The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know." Albert Einstein

K4FXD

The Ign timing is set for 2 sparks in the cylinder, so by removing one the engine is instantly out of tune.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

HV

Even a loose plug Cap on a plug of an M8 will retard the timing and make the Engine run Rough
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Xyzzy

Thanks for all of the replies, I learn something new every day!

:hug:

hd06myway

xyzzy can we call you Dyzzy?

Xyzzy

You can call me anything you want as long as you don't call me late to supper!