May 04, 2024, 06:59:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2018 Road King Special - more work planned

Started by kkinderen, September 01, 2018, 03:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkinderen

I posted a couple of dyno runs after a dealer stage 4 upgrade and later the replacement of the head pipes (cat-less) at an independent shop. My judgement of the performance so far is that the bike runs like stock up to about 3000 RPM - which I think feels real good. Then it just gets reborn at 3000+ and simply hauls ass. I'm pretty happy with it so far but I think things can be improved pretty easily at the low RPMs later on.

Next step is going to be some bulletproofing. I'll be bringing it back to this shop for:

• Rocker stud bolt kit
  • Heavy duty solid chromoly pushrods
  • Lifters
  • Upgraded cam sprocket
  • Upgraded cam bearing
  • Heavy duty valve spring
  • Upgraded hi volume oil pump
  • Upgraded cam plate
  • Gaskets

I don't expect anything in the way of noticeable gains with this work. It's all about reliability. The parts are mainly Feuling. This work should be done mid- to late-September.

I'm already think of what the next step will be. Any thoughts on the plans so far?
Old dog here to ask, listen and learn.

BigT

I would dump the stage 4 cam as the other parts you plan on installing are going to void the warranty anyways.

kkinderen

Quote from: BigT on September 01, 2018, 06:40:47 PM
I would dump the stage 4 cam as the other parts you plan on installing are going to void the warranty anyways.

The warranty was voided with the replacement head pipes so that's not a concern. I stopped here partially based on budget and partially based on wanting to take things a step at a time. After the bulletproofing step my next would most likely be a cam replacement. That's all I can think to do engine-wise unless I start replacing major parts. It's going to take a while for that to happen. Maybe leave the engine alone after the cam and look at things like shocks and bars and such.

I'll speak with the shop and ask to add that to the quote. Considering where the current quote is I think I'll be in the same place.

BVHOG

I have seen some of the info from Fueling on the pushrod stability but have yet to witness it myself.  The stud setup is a great idea but to be honest I would spend some coin on a different cam and keep the stock pushrods.  If you choose your cam wisely you don't need the springs either, keep in mind these 6mm valves are very light and the lift on most street cams (example Andrews 464, t-man 216 226) will not require springs.  The upgrades pump/plate setup is a great idea and S&S is finally shipping theirs now.  You have a ton of choices on lifters and S&S standards or premiums will both work well, not to mention when is the last time you have heard of a stock lifter failure?  I would also add S&S lifter guides to your list.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

kkinderen

Thank you all! These are the types of comments I can sit down and talk to the shop about. For someone like me where anything I know about different vendors (Feuling, S&S, etc) comes from their marketing literature and searching the Internet, I have to rely on what the shop is comfortable with and recommends and what I can make from suggestions in the forum.

This shop seems to be very Feuling oriented. While they spoke to me about some S&S parts, sticking with Feuling for the oil pump was highly recommended.

Do you see any disadvantage in replacing the push rods other than the cost? The shop recommends them because they are stronger than stock and fits in with the bulletproofing plan. I'll spend a little more for peace of mind.

I've experienced two engine failures with HD. Both on a 2003 Fat Boy. The first was the cam chain adjuster. That little piece of plastic and metal(?) caused enough damage that the engine was replaced. This is why I'm focusing on bulletproofing. Then I spent a whole bonus check with a shop that did an S&S upgrade of the 88 to 117" I think? Can't remember. The bike never ran right again. That's what I'm trying to avoid this time around. Bad experience with the shop, bad experience with an S&S-centric upgrade and I tried to do everything at one time. I was left with no money left to try and get things fixed elsewhere so it was eventually sold. Interestingly, I followed the bike's progress through two owners after me and neither ever got it running right. I don't know where it is now but it was a beautiful bike.

This particular shop recommends their own cam. They sell it under the name of "1-Forty-1 Outlaw Camshafts" apparently ground by Andrews to their specs. This concerns me a little bit as I can't find any real reviews or comments about them. But I have spoken with the shop and explained what I'm looking for long term... decent torque from green light to red line and the right performance and reliability for long road trips. I've got no interest in getting there first, just getting there without drama.

sfmichael

Quote from: BVHOG on September 02, 2018, 09:35:45 AM
I have seen some of the info from Fueling on the pushrod stability but have yet to witness it myself.  The stud setup is a great idea but to be honest I would spend some coin on a different cam and keep the stock pushrods.  If you choose your cam wisely you don't need the springs either, keep in mind these 6mm valves are very light and the lift on most street cams (example Andrews 464, t-man 216 226) will not require springs.  The upgrades pump/plate setup is a great idea and S&S is finally shipping theirs now.  You have a ton of choices on lifters and S&S standards or premiums will both work well, not to mention when is the last time you have heard of a stock lifter failure?  I would also add S&S lifter guides to your list.

^^^ this  :oil:

lots of good cams out there, the several BV mentions and others by CycleRama, RedShift(Zippers), Woods, S&S...and more
even Harley's Stage 3 cam would be an improvement over what you have...but then you've already been told that
Colorado Springs, CO.

kkinderen

Quote from: sfmichael on September 02, 2018, 11:27:23 AM
...but then you've already been told that

I have been told. I think I have plenty of time to explore cams if I stick to the plan. I can afford the work I mentioned below. Nothing exciting and maybe an unnecessary thing or two. But then I can spend some time learning about cam choices. One of the cams mentioned has this statement:

• This is a perfect upgrade for the dresser crowd riding 2-up and looking for good power and torque in a touring motor.

I think that describes perfectly what I'm looking for overall.

Thanks again for the advice and patience. I'll be talking with the shop, get some work done towards the end of the month and post back the result. I'll also spend a lot more time reviewing cam related posts.