May 04, 2024, 06:40:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Normal or a problem?

Started by rich1, September 03, 2018, 01:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1

Trying again to see if I can get an answer/opinion on this. Vented my M8 114 to atmosphere. I get a small amount of oil in the floor after every ride. This was never the case with any of the TC bikes I owned. On the TC I would only occasionally get a drop or two. Oil level is kept at half way mark. Bike doesn't use any oil. Leak down test was really good. Just trying to find out if this is normal with the M8 or if I have an issue with the oil pump. Never had any signs of sumping. Thanks.

1FSTRK

How many miles on the engine?
What was the leak down?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Ohio HD

TC and M8 motors have the perpensity to toss a little oil out the breathers. I wouldn't get in a big concern for it unless the oil amount becomes a lot. Use a small catch can to acquire the oil blow out, drain it once in awhile. That way you don't get oil mist clinging to your bike, and drawing road dirt to the frame, motor, etc.

moose

I vented mine but put the hose up higher and put a filter on it   the hose goes into a pvc pipe with a drain than the hose goes up to a filter
Moose aka Glenn-

rich1

Quote from: 1FSTRK on September 03, 2018, 01:52:36 PM
How many miles on the engine?
What was the leak down?

4K miles. 2% Leak down both cylinders

DTTJGlide

What's a small amount & after how many miles? With that % leakdown I wouldn't worry much.

moose

just a thought the guy may be great    but (butt) the other has a 3 week wait for a reason just saying
Moose aka Glenn-

rich1

Quote from: DTTJGlide on September 03, 2018, 04:35:40 PM
What's a small amount & after how many miles? With that % leakdown I wouldn't worry much.

Dime to nickle sized spot on garage floor. Miles don't seem to matter but I never start it and ride less than 25 miles. But it has been fairly hot since I vented it to atmosphere. Just not accustomed to that coming from the TC.

hd06

Run it 1/2 qt. low will help. Put a catch can will solve the problem.