April 27, 2024, 04:10:51 PM

News:

07 Heritage softtail stumble

Started by packrat56, September 09, 2018, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packrat56

September 09, 2018, 12:46:37 PM Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:34:36 PM by packrat56
  A friend of mine has an 07 heritage Softail it spits and sputters ,what should I look at first  16000 miles
  No codes but a month or so back it had a high idle syndrome, I read on here about resetting that and all was good.
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

Hossamania

Check for low voltage, bad battery. Check for intake leaks. Check for loose or bad plug wires or plugs themselves. Check for pinholes in the in-tank fuel hose.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

packrat56

thanks
Ill talk to him tomorrow, I suggested new fuel pump and filter, just because of age.

Hossamania

Don't just throw parts at it until you do proper troubleshooting.
I forgot to mention, start by checking for a loose connection at the battery, or even a bad end on the battery cables. Give them a good wiggle.

packrat56

We were on our way back from a 100mi or so ride it started after 30mi after
he got gas,

Hossamania

Well there's the first thing to deal with, run it out and fill with good fresh fuel from a station he normally uses. Might even want to treat it with some Sea Foam.

packrat56

Update,,   Finally got to look at his bike, pulled plugs, both look good, took the
quick connect off the tank no water in the fuel. Looking for the adaptor to check fuel
pressure. He has a OTC master set but not the right one for HD. Mentioned buying a new line and cutting the old one and adding a tee.
   He's gonna ask the tool guy tomorrow if he has one

rbabos

Quote from: packrat56 on October 01, 2018, 05:22:15 PM
     Update,,   Finally got to look at his bike, pulled plugs, both look good, took the
quick connect off the tank no water in the fuel. Looking for the adaptor to check fuel
pressure. He has a OTC master set but not the right one for HD. Mentioned buying a new line and cutting the old one and adding a tee.
   He's gonna ask the tool guy tomorrow if he has one
07s, some were prone to breaking throttle shafts and early ones had crappy IAC motors, which were updated I believe.
Ron

tmwmoose

07 Softies were notorious for broken pressure regulator housings! especially if the symptoms are quite substantial