April 28, 2024, 03:59:15 AM

News:

New oil pump or not?

Started by 08flstf, September 16, 2018, 05:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

08flstf

Ok, from what I've read it seems the biggest culprits for sumping are the 117 stage 4 kits? Was wondering if most of the 107's have been trouble free in regards to this issue only. Reason I'm asking is I have been trying to find a new camplate & oil pump for a twin cooled M8 and all I can find are oil pumps for the oil cooled ones. I was considering doing a big bore kit but think I have talked myself out of that. I've had my cam, exhaust, intake, and all the other needed pieces to get this done for quite a while now. So if I don't have any signs of sumping now, what do some of you think about just staying with the stock camplate & oil pump if only doing a bolt in cam on a 107? I don't mind spending the extra $ if necessary but if not I'm ready to do something instead of waiting longer.

dwagar

When I had my new cam installed a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't justify the cost of a Fueling or S&S pump. I've had no sumping issues in 25,000 kms.

But, since my bike was built in April '17, I did have them put in the new HD pump (after 10/10/17). Inexpensive, and they are already in there so there's no extra labor.

rigidthumper

The combo of 62400182 (latest twin cool oil pump) , 11293 (oring for pinion shaft) and 62400205 (newest backing plate with seal) is supposed to fix the sumping issues.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

08flstf

Mine is a 2018 FLTRU and I have seen no signs of sumping at all. If it is not sumping would anyone trust the stock oil pump with just a bolt in cam?

BVHOG

Quote from: 08flstf on September 16, 2018, 08:03:14 AM
Mine is a 2018 FLTRU and I have seen no signs of sumping at all. If it is not sumping would anyone trust the stock oil pump with just a bolt in cam?
Installed a few with zero issues and a cam change makes the M8 come alive plus run cooler. Look into the new backing plate like mentioned. I ordered two for the air cooled yesterday.  I believe they are under 30 bucks and it is supposed to be THE fix.   I would use the feuling arp cam bolt kit and stud kit for the rocker shafts.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

08flstf

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 16, 2018, 07:03:23 AM
The combo of 62400182 (latest twin cool oil pump) , 11293 (oring for pinion shaft) and 62400205 (newest backing plate with seal) is supposed to fix the sumping issues.

Do you know when they started putting the new backing plate with the seal in them? My build date is 5/18. Just wondered if mine might already have that one.

VDeuce

Quote from: 08flstf on September 18, 2018, 02:38:05 PM
Quote from: rigidthumper on September 16, 2018, 07:03:23 AM

Do you know when they started putting the new backing plate with the seal in them? My build date is 5/18. Just wondered if mine might already have that one.
Not likely. This plate came out not all that long ago, within the last 2 months IIRC.

joe_lyons

10/10/17 was the date specified by Harley.
Check out service Bulletin m-1450 in the docs section.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

08flstf

cbumdumb

My 2018 sumped this weekend 107 cu in forth gen oil pump one before seal . 5000 miles 100 yds from Paris Hd in Texas. For what it's worth bike layed over merging in traffic I kept it up limped into dealership. This isn't rpm related this happen about 2000 rpm .

ekb55

So the dealer confirmed this is a sumping issue and not electrical or fuel?

cbumdumb

Pulled sensor and crankcase was full pan empty.

cbumdumb

They tried bandaid number five . Which is what my 19 has and failures are all ready coming to light.

BigT

Quote from: cbumdumb on October 02, 2018, 07:28:29 PM
They tried bandaid number five . Which is what my 19 has and failures are all ready coming to light.
I would bet your 2019 bike wasnt delevered to you with the latest modification. My sump has drained an ounce or less after making the latest modification and riding hard.

Fat11Lo

Quote from: BigT on October 03, 2018, 08:48:03 AM
Quote from: cbumdumb on October 02, 2018, 07:28:29 PM
I would bet your 2019 bike wasnt delevered to you with the latest modification. My sump has drained an ounce or less after making the latest modification and riding hard.

Just to clarify, that's 1oz at the sensor? Not the sump plug?

Reddog74usa

If it were me I'd wait to see how this all plays out or you could just pissing time and money down the drain.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Helmwurst

Ok, I know I am jumping in here late to the party, but what exactly is an acceptable amount of oil in the bottom of the flywheel case??? My 2017 RGS 107 used 1 quart of oil after a 900+ mile ride to Sturgis on 2 lane backroads over 3 days. It was the scenic route. Added a quart in Rapid a couple of days later to top it off. Rode the interstate back home running 75-85 mph for 2 days. No drop in oil level. Decided this past week after a weekend ride through Arkansas to open the allen head bolt on the case and got 10oz of oil out. Went for a 24 mile ride today and put it back up on the jack after it cooled down a bit and got 6 more oz out of the plug.
So here is what I think may be going on, the first qt of oil I had to add was right after the 1000 mi service, so I considering that break in oil usage. I also have had to add transmission fluid since 1000 mi service around 14 oz. Checked the primary, it is normal, no overflow. (Trans dipstick was loose after 1000 mi service, so that was 10 of the 14 oz....maybe. The 4oz I added yesterday, were did they go? I think this transmission is noisy and was told to run something besides HD trans lube. Their new stuff is lighter weight than the old stuff.
My question is : how much residual oil should be in the crankcase? Or should there not be anymore than a couple of teaspoons from oil running down in the case from normal operation?
The last concern I have that I think is connected to all this, is a vibration in the floorboards, and highway pegs at 2500+ RPM and up. Does not matter what gears, so it is either engine or transmission, and it gets worse when you are decelerating. Smooths out below 2500 RPM.