April 28, 2024, 05:20:00 AM

News:

1985 FXWG converting to Points

Started by dubepj, September 21, 2018, 01:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

Wishing to convert 1985 FXWG with a factory kick start back to points so it will start good with the kicker.  First question.  Will this make it start better???  if not then this is a waste of time and money.

Next question.
I know I need the centrifugal advance unit, points and condenser and a 5 ohm coil.  The wiring confuses me some.   I know the wire from the points goes to one side of the coil.  The other side of the coil get the live power wire from the kill switch. 
Now how does the Ignition Module come into Play???  I am Confused about that.??
Thanks a lot for your input.

turboprop

The ignition module does not come into play. Its either points or electronic module. No combining of the two.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

tmwmoose

You will not use the ignition module I assume your talking oem part . And your correct about the wiring to the coil so far.

dubepj

Ok That clarifies the ignition module question.  So now the other question. 
Will it start much better with points using the kicker.  Thanks.

Buglet

If you want easy kick starting go with a DYNA S ignition, it will also run better them points.

guppymech

Quote from: dubepj on September 21, 2018, 02:16:10 PM
It will start better with points, the stock electronic ignition looks for 3 revolutions before it throws a spark to lighten the load on the starter.  It's tough to kickstart a BT when it's doing that.  I converted my '84 Shovel from a stock VFire ll electronic ignition to points for this very reason.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

david lee

Quote from: guppymech on September 21, 2018, 03:39:10 PM
Quote from: dubepj on September 21, 2018, 02:16:10 PM
It will start better with points, the stock electronic ignition looks for 3 revolutions before it throws a spark to lighten the load on the starter.  It's tough to kickstart a BT when it's doing that.  I converted my '84 Shovel from a stock VFire ll electronic ignition to points for this very reason.
is it only for the kick factor that people go for points over electronic.my 81 lowrider has the later and works good then again im a press button guy

Burnout

The factory HD modules do not wait 3 revs and will fire right now.
They will even fire with the motor not turning when you first turn on the key if the motor is in the right position!

Any full featured electronic ignition can be programmed to fire on the first rev.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

prodrag1320

going to dig up your in door plumbing & install a outhouse in the back yard too? points are archaic compaired to electronic ignitions,even a DYNA S.go with a DYNA 2000 I ,you wont be sorry

Buglet

I would go with the DYNA 2000, but I see think the DYNA S kick starts easyer.   

Burnout

A Dyna S is a piece of crap.
It uses the centrifugal advance which sucks balls.
It has no dwell control
It has no current limiter, so if you leave the ignition on it will fry the coil just like points.
It won't fire a high output coil for very long.
It cant be used with a vacuum advance (VOES).

I could go on but the above is sufficient.

Get an Ultima Ignition it can be programmed for kick start if needed.
The Crane ignitions had a switch so do others.
The Dyna 2000 is completely programmable.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

dubepj

Thanks all for your replies. 
The one reply I like the most is from BURNOUT.
You say the stock factory ignition on this 1985 FXWG will fire right away on first rev.
If this is correct I don't need to convert back to points.  Some one told be there is a sort of timer that if bike doesn't start on first kick you need to shut off ignition and turn back on or if you don't do that it needs 3 rev to fire again????

guppymech

Quote from Dyna's web site FAQ.
"Can I kick start my motor with the 2000i installed?How? Yes, but it will require reprogramming the dead revs back to zero (0). Out of the box, the 2000I has 3 dead revs like a stock Harley-Davidson System."

http://www.dynaonline.com/support/dynatek-faqs.aspx#201
'84 FXE, '02 883R

turboprop

Quote from: dubepj on September 24, 2018, 08:13:05 AM
Thanks all for your replies. 
The one reply I like the most is from BURNOUT.
You say the stock factory ignition on this 1985 FXWG will fire right away on first rev.
If this is correct I don't need to convert back to points.  Some one told be there is a sort of timer that if bike doesn't start on first kick you need to shut off ignition and turn back on or if you don't do that it needs 3 rev to fire again????

You should probably install the kicker and go from there.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

DresserDan

If a points system is installed can you use the timing marks on the flywheels or is there a different timing sequence for this?  points on a Evo motor that has electronic in it.