May 06, 2024, 12:14:12 AM

News:

2004 pushrod cover leak

Started by duke76, May 11, 2009, 10:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duke76

Im not much of a sportster guy but I have a buddy with a 2004 sporty that he just had converted from an 883 to the big bore, the pushrod tubes are leaking so I told him I would take a look at it, The guy he had do the big bore had the bike for 4 months so he is very reluctant to take it back to him even though he should be covering this,  the pushrod tubes are 1 piece and tapered, I tried to take them loose from the bottom and slide it up but it wont move, Do you have to take the heads off to fix this leak? If we do so be it but then the guy that did this the first time should stand the head gaskets, Like I said I dont know a lot about sportys but have worked on quite a few twin cams so I thought it would be familiar, but the tubes dont slide together, is there anyway to cut the old ones out and put in adjustables like a twin cam? is that possible for an 04, thanks in advance for your help, Todd
Poor planning on your part does not make an emergency on my part

SEMJPM

Yes it is possible to put adjustable push-rods and collapsible tubes on. You will need a bolt cutter to cut the old ones. Otherwise, you have to pull the heads to change the o-rings.

SEMJPM