May 04, 2024, 07:21:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 engine development question

Started by klammer76, September 26, 2018, 09:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogMike

Quote from: hattitude on September 28, 2018, 09:41:37 AM
Quote from: klammer76 on September 26, 2018, 06:28:27 PM
Quote from: BVHOG on September 26, 2018, 02:37:09 PM
Doesn't matter how long it took, with today's technology it shouldn't be impossible to build a decent motor in short order.  Build a POS to start with and no matter how many years later you just have an older POS.  Small block chevy was built without all the computer assistance they have now and look how well it stood the test of time.

Quote from: PoorUB on September 26, 2018, 03:21:27 PM
I don't understand with all the well engineered motorcycles out there that HD engineers can't come up with something better. The multi-piece crankshaft needs to go, replaced with a forged steel crank. The roller bearings need to go away to automotive style bearings. I don't have a big issue with the push rod valve train, it is simple and easy to manufacture, as long as the RPM is held down, but I would like to see OHV and liquid cooling. Oh, and some suspension!
That's the thing, who are these engineers and where do they get them? I wonder if it's ineptness on their part or handcuffed by bean counters etc. Who comes up with some of the ideas? Automatic primary chain adjusters, the manual ones worked fine for years, Removing the inspection plate from the primary at least you could check the auto adjuster if one were still there. Why the new styly compensator that they had issues with for several years, was the older style that bad? Pressed together flywheels? Weaker transmission gears etc.

I have no insight into the inner workings of the MoCo.....

But I would be willing to bet there are some very frustrated engineers working at the MoCo...

I worked in a field that was small, and very technical.... Most of us knew and understood what was needed and what should happen to do the job properly. From about 1994 thru 2005 we were often offered up as an example of what to strive for, within our industry.

Then the upwardly mobile (promotion as a first priority) managers and operators joined our smooth running "machine". Directives were given that gave cost savings priority over proper function. The managers came up with the silly ideas, and their pilot fish instituted the changes with zeal...

They were all promoted up and out of our hair.... and we were left to try to pick up the pieces of what used to be a model in that industry. Sadly, at the time of my retirement in 2011, that cycle continued to repeat itself. We were never able to achieve our former proficiency.

I would suspect their is a similar struggle going on constantly, within the MoCo, between designers, engineers, bean counters, management, and the Board fo Directors...

Yep, I suspect the MoCo has some really good engineers that are as frustrated, as some of us, at the lack of making a proper fix.....

Nothing new, I had a friend that was hired by HD mid 80's in the R&D department who got to try all sorts of engine designs and head designs that never made it past test stage.
He was frustrated that that was SOP, but glad they paid him to do what he loved to do.
We used some of his ideas at the local drag strip in MN for a few years. He was a pretty sharp cookie!
HOGMIKE
SoCal